Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Safer R&R programs

What are some of the Safer R&R programs that you have been awarded? I'm looking for more ideas for this years SAFER grant for R&R. I'm looking to find out the different programs that fire departments have actually been awarded. We are looking at 1) dental insurance. 2) gas reimbursment for calls. 3) gas reimbursement for training that requires travel. Does anyone have any other ideas they would be willing to share?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    What are some of the Safer R&R programs that you have been awarded? I'm looking for more ideas for this years SAFER grant for R&R. I'm looking to find out the different programs that fire departments have actually been awarded. We are looking at 1) dental insurance. 2) gas reimbursment for calls. 3) gas reimbursement for training that requires travel. Does anyone have any other ideas they would be willing to share?
    Volfireman: If you look through the forums you'll see that this topic comes up again and again. All of the possibilities you mentioned can work as well as countless other options. The key to implementing a successful R&R program is to ask your own members what they think will motivate them. I.e., just because gas cards worked for my department in PA doesn't mean that the same program will work in Missouri or Oregon or wherever. Do some research to find out what motivates YOUR members and design a program to fix the problems you've identified. If you have questions about the eligibility of a specific project, I'm sure that you can get answers from folks on this forum.

And as has been said before, being successful with SAFER requires more than a good project. You need to first establish non-compliance with NFPA 1710/1720 and then demonstrate how/why your proposed program will fix the problem.

Good luck.
    -dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the input. We certainly cannot meet the nfpa 1710/1720. We only have 7 firefighters on the rooster and only 2 available during the day time. If I may as how did you work the gas cards. Could you email me some info on your program. I have polled my fire department and several others and some kind of payment for calls was the big response.

Forum Member

Default Narrative

We are an all volunteer fire department. 92 square miles. aobut 100 calls a year. Does any one have a SAFER narrative to hire 1 firefighter, fulltime that i can review and see if it could work for us??

Thread Information