Forum Member

Default Army Combat Medic to Civilian Firefighter

I was a Cadet (like explorers) for 2.5 years, went to a technical school while in high school for 2 years for Fire Science, then did wildland firefighting for 2 summers until I joined the Army. Civilian wise, I have my NREMT-B, but that's not my concern.

I know the requirements for the departments in my area, but I was diagnosed with PTSD after returning from Afghanistan. Would this hamper a potential career in the fire service?

Shawshank

It very well could. I know of a guy who was dropped from a process because he had Attention Defecit Disorder. It really falls down to how many good candidates they have to choose from. If you are a great potential hire and there are not many more candidates that are potentially great hires, they will probably disregard it. On the other hand, if there are alot of good candidates to choose from, they will start dropping guys for almost anything. It might not hurt to ask. Do you have a percentage of disabilty as well with that? My roomate was dropped from a police process because he was "diagnosed" 15% disabled following his service in the Marine Corp. Many soldiers work up their disabilty percentage to collect higher income or unemployment following their milatary service. (I'm not saying alot of them do not actually have permanent disabilty) This ends up screwing them when they want to get employment for certain jobs.
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

Hey Matt check your private messages.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Many soldiers work up their disabilty percentage to collect higher income or unemployment following their milatary service. (I'm not saying alot of them do not actually have permanent disabilty) This ends up screwing them when they want to get employment for certain jobs.
    I've seen this happen too many times.

PTSD rating could raise some red flags if you're heading for a psych evaluation for a department. An extensive background packet will ask you in several different ways "have you ever". You have to list everything they ask you. You will sign off your rights so they can look at anything they want.

The difference is you have PTSD going into the process and have to jump through all the flamming hoops to make it through the hiring process.

You don't want to invest a lot of time and treasure trying to get to a point to being DQ'd. I know you're looking for the truth here. There are those who will tell you what they think you want to hear. Blowing a lot of smoke. Sorry. In my experience those candidates I've heard from in your situation with PTSD haven't been hired because of the psych.

This from a previous posting: I think this would fall under the americans with disabilities act if they said no. I think I heard of a veteran with an amputated leg was testing or got hired by a dept. in New Jersey. If your capable of doing the job you should be in the clear. Thanks for the service and hopefully you make it on.

Reply: Sorry, PTSD is not a physical problem. The psych doc has is the gate keeper here.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I tend to agree with the previous poster. Even if a department does not administer a psych exam (many do not), a PTSD diagnosis would certainly come up on a background check.
    I am sure there would be some departments that may overlook it, but it's tough enough to get hired on a department without limiting your choices. I know it's not what you wanted to hear.....
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Besides, having PTSD, it would be the responsible thing to not get into this line of work.

If you really want to do something rewarding, look into hospital transfer or something along those lines. It may not be glamorous, but the stress is much less and everyone's hiring.

It's an honorable job and you still get to keep your skills up. Just my opinion.

Take care,
    Pete

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. Besides, having PTSD, it would be the responsible thing to not get into this line of work.
    Can you elaborate a little on this one?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post

It's possible for emergency responders to develop PTSD too. Are you saying that we should resign from our position if diagnosed with PTSD?

Thread Information