Thread: Burbank, Cali

Forum Member

Default Burbank, Cali

Anyone know any info. on how many applied and how many were invited to take the written?

Forum Member

I'm in the process now and attended the orientation this past saturday. they said that there are 3,492 candidates going out for 5-7 positions. they didn't say how many were invited to test. hopefully it's less than 3,492. The written test will create 2 hiring bands. They basically said that if you're on band B, you don't have a shot. those on band A will get an oral interview. from there they will whittle the number down to 50 candidates who move on to background investigation, poly, etc.

Doing the math-5 positions/3492 candidates=.0014% chance of getting the job.

Gotta love those odds!

Forum Member

Amazing odds!lol. I heard a ridiculous number like 8000 applied. I'm from out of state and coming to test....can't get hired if you don't test right!? Did they happen to mention what test they use at all? Thanks for the info on the last post!

MembersZone Subscriber

The test they are using is test that LVFR utilized. You purchase a test manual and 74% of the questions will come from that manual. The rest is just math, grammar, and self assessment type questions. But again, reading that manual will be key since a big portion of the test will be right from that manual. Hope this helps.

Forum Member

I wasn't sure if 3492 applied or 3492 were taking the test. I was hoping that 3492 was the total number of applicants but I suppose that would be kind of low. It is probably closer to 8000. For the test, they use the FPSI candidate test prep manual-10th ed. There 108 questions on the test and like Vrossi said, @80 questions are from the manual and the rest are basic knowledge questions.

anyone gotten their results yet?

Forum Member

Has anyone received their written score? Anymore info?

Forum Member

Nothing yet, I thought they said 2 to 3 weeks. So hopefully by Monday.

Forum Member

I still havent heard anything...Does anyone have an idea of when we may hear back? Or has anyone been notified of their written?

Forum Member

Nothing yet......

Forum Member

Emails were sent out today and a 70 or higher was needed to move on to the orals.

Forum Member

I keep a look out for the email!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nomex82 View Post
    Emails were sent out today and a 70 or higher was needed to move on to the orals.
    Got my email about moving on to the oral. If the passing % was really only 70 then thats a little bit of a bummer as Im sure I scored above a 90%. Oh well. Goodluck to everyone moving on in the process!

Forum Member

I got my results saying that I passed my written but they are only giving orals to those in higher bands. They didn't give my band or score, but I assume that I didn't score high enough. The email was fairly vague.

Forum Member

Default Orals

Anybody take the orals? I wanted to know if anyone got a response yet? Just wanted to know how many they are taking to orals?

Forum Member

Anyone get a ranking placement yet?

Forum Member

Default Burbank

Oral interview scores (and written test scores as well) were emailed to candidates on Friday afternoon (12/3). During the interview week, it appeared as though there were at least 150 to 200 candidates that received oral board interviews, but thats just sort of a guestimation and what I heard from others. The email stated those of top rank and score will go into background review "shortly", but unsure what the exact timeframe is. Hope this answers your questions!

Forum Member

Default Rank and Score

A friend of mine got a 97% and is ranked 3rd but his e-mail said that there may be more than one person in each rank. Anybody have an idea of how many people are in each rank?Or how many people they expect really take to backgrounds.

Forum Member

Default Backgrounds

Anybody get any word from Burbank?

Forum Member

If your ranked 3rd I'm sure you will be among the first to hear back. I havent heard anything yet though. Hopefully soon!

Forum Member

I hear you on that one! Good luck!

Forum Member

Default Burbank FD

The top few candidates received background packets last week. What a great early christmas present! Initial background orientation is 1st week in January. Good luck to all who moved on!

Forum Member

Wanted to bring this thread back instead of creating a new one. I'm contemplating flying to CA to complete the written test and taking the CPAT. Having to pay for both of those and take them in separate testing centers is something completely foreign to me!

I'm a Houston, TX firefighter/emt-b (HFD) but am looking to make the move to CA. I've worked for a big dept and have seen how it operates. I have a desire to move the CA to be closer to family and work for a much smaller department. There is all kind of uneasiness of job security and shady rumors created by our hostile mayor in Houston that make me want to make the move ASAP.

Reading through this post makes it seem pretty close to impossible to get hired in Burbank! However there will have to be more than number of applicants to discourage me.

Anyone give me any insight into the hiring process and the department as a whole?

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HOOPSboyFF View Post
    Wanted to bring this thread back instead of creating a new one. I'm contemplating flying to CA to complete the written test and taking the CPAT. Having to pay for both of those and take them in separate testing centers is something completely foreign to me!

I'm a Houston, TX firefighter/emt-b (HFD) but am looking to make the move to CA. I've worked for a big dept and have seen how it operates. I have a desire to move the CA to be closer to family and work for a much smaller department. There is all kind of uneasiness of job security and shady rumors created by our hostile mayor in Houston that make me want to make the move ASAP.

Reading through this post makes it seem pretty close to impossible to get hired in Burbank! However there will have to be more than number of applicants to discourage me.

Anyone give me any insight into the hiring process and the department as a whole?

Thanks!
    Don't have a whole lot of info for their process, I applied so I'm gonna give it a shot, I know you said you want to work for a smaller department but LA County Fire is going to open up their hiring process this year and It might be another option but it is a much bigger department.

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you preparing for the upcoming Burbank fire exam, go to the link below for custom designed exam prep for the following subjects.

Written Test: May measure your ability to understand written and oral directions, mathematics, mechanical aptitude and reasoning skills. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/california_f...r_exam_pr.html

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

Thread Information