Thread: Dd214

Forum Member

Default Dd214

Could a person be hired as an overseas contract firefighter with a general discharge under honorable conditions? Also, how stringent is Wackenhut on the minimum experience of 3 years?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by FirefighterDC; 09-11-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: additional information entered

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterDC View Post
    Could a person be hired as an overseas contract firefighter with a general discharge under honorable conditions? Also, how stringent is Wackenhut on the minimum experience of 3 years?

Thanks in advance.

Sallyport is now doing the hiring. They just took the cotracts away from Wackanut over the summer
    Amateur Radio Operator N3UED
    Proud former USAF Academy, CO Firefighter
    Member of the Manheim Fire Company
    http://www.manheimfire.com

Forum Member

To answer your question, Yes you could be hired...BUT...with the amount of people that are applying that do have a DD214 that have Honorable Discharge on it and more than the minimum amount of years of experience needed...well I'm sure you can see what your chances are, but weirder things have happened.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPChief View Post
    To answer your question, Yes you could be hired...BUT...with the amount of people that are applying that do have a DD214 that have Honorable Discharge on it and more than the minimum amount of years of experience needed...well I'm sure you can see what your chances are, but weirder things have happened.
    Good lord man, are you a Troll?

To the OP, just apply. SP here might think he is going to revolutionize the Contract Fire Fighting world in theater, but last i checked they are hurting for FF's.

I say apply, they may ask you what your discharge was about (although i'm not really sure that is legal), but be honest and you should be alright.

SP is a new company, but i can't see them doing much different then WSI when it comes to stuff like this. I supervised several FF's over there that had General Discharges (even went through the process of upgrading it with one of the guys). Give it a shot.

Forum Member

Default Military Discharge

Many candidates who received a less than honorable discharge from the military have been able to have their DD214 changed to honorable with the help of Veterans Affairs and advocate groups. Not the Veterans Administration. You have to be 6 months to one year free from any other violations.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Sorry Peterbound

I know that you’re the only person on these boards able to say anything and knows everything, and when you don't agree with what someone says you have to just be your normal cynical self, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a 10 year wonder from the Air Force, who did a little time as a contractor and knows everything that is going on these days...

Forum Member

Disagree away, i have no issue with that.

I do take issue with you posting erroneous information. You and i both know that he will probably get picked up.

But rather than say that, you came on here trolling, trying to make the guy feel bad.
    Attempt to be more positive in your posts and we won't argue.

Every post you've made on these boards has been of a negative tone, and one that paints an incorrect picture of life over there, and the hiring process.

I'm not the most versed on the entire contract process, having only done 18 months, but I feel pretty confident answering the questions posed here. Again, unless your new company is going to drastically change it's hiring practices (which i doubt) this individual will get picked up, and the individuals that are currently over there that have been discharged under general conditions will stay on contract.

an aside: I'm proud of my time done in the Military, as i'm sure are the 90% of the Contract Fire Fighters in Iraq, but if you would like to start an anti military fire fighter thread here I'd be more than willing to participate in that debate. This however is not the thread for military bashing.
    Last edited by peterbound; 09-12-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Forum Member

First of all...at no time have I bashed the military nor am I anti-military, with 22 years in the Air Force Fire Protection field, I'm sure I don't fall in that category, maybe you think you represent all military if anyone says something about YOU, just another way you like to change the tables, as I have seen from your prior postings

The negative tone..telling someone what their chances when they don't meet minimum requirements is telling them the truth. You make it seem that all they have to do is sign a contract and that's it, they are on easy street. When we have military that have an Honorable discharge and exceed the experience required and civilians who also exceed all requirements with far more experience, tell my why would you even consider looking at someone that doesn't?..are you saying you would hire someone that doesn't meet the minimum requirements over someone that exceeds them?

As you stated that you are not the most versed on the contract process and I don't know when you were last over here, but things change and are changing, you stated that I want to revolutionize the contract firefighting world over here, it's the Army, Air Force and Marines.. the contract holders that want things changed and you being ex-military and an ex-contract firefighter should know what they want they get

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPChief View Post
    First of all...at no time have I bashed the military nor am I anti-military, with 22 years in the Air Force Fire Protection field, I'm sure I don't fall in that category, maybe you think you represent all military if anyone says something about YOU, just another way you like to change the tables, as I have seen from your prior postings

The negative tone..telling someone what their chances when they don't meet minimum requirements is telling them the truth. You make it seem that all they have to do is sign a contract and that's it, they are on easy street. When we have military that have an Honorable discharge and exceed the experience required and civilians who also exceed all requirements with far more experience, tell my why would you even consider looking at someone that doesn't?..are you saying you would hire someone that doesn't meet the minimum requirements over someone that exceeds them?

As you stated that you are not the most versed on the contract process and I don't know when you were last over here, but things change and are changing, you stated that I want to revolutionize the contract firefighting world over here, it's the Army, Air Force and Marines.. the contract holders that want things changed and you being ex-military and an ex-contract firefighter should know what they want they get
    I may have just realized i spoke in haste. I don't believe your General Discharge will hurt you.

However, I do know that even when i was in country they were starting to crack down on the experience levels. We had several guys that they counted Cadet time as 'experience'. I even had a 20 year old working for me. I had to ask myself how that was possible. Did he become a FF at 17? If so where? And how is that even legal.

These issues were brought up and when I was leaving, we were told they were being addressed. So your experience time may hurt you.
    I stand by my Discharge issue though.

How many years did you do before you were booted?

And it wasn't that long since I was over there (less than a year) so i doubt it's changed that much in a macro sense (as anyone who has been over there understands, the only thing on a micro level in iraq that is constant is change).

I wish Sallyport the best, but i don't see them doing things much different than WSI except changing the hours (they are changing the hours right?). The inspections, micromanagement, conditions, and relationship with KBR will be the same (maybe worse with KBR, as with WSI at least the A/C's and Chiefs could tell KBR to quit bothering them and WSI would usually have their back. I don't see that happening with Sallyport.)

As for what the Army wants (the contract holders), I can't speak to. Everyone I ever spoke with in the Army Chain at the bases I was at seemed happy (except Air Cav, they hated contractors of any ilk). From what i understand (and i take no offense if you correct me on this, as much of what i have is anecdotal) it was KBR that dropped WSI not the Army (as WSI was sub, or strategic partner ((ha)) if you will of KBR). I assume due to the negative working relationship they had with each other, the roller coaster ORI scores, and the near miss Level III CAR that was threatened because of those scores.

But back to the OP, i think your chances are good depending on your level of experience. Apply and see what happens. Usually if you have the certs they are looking for, and sign the contract, you are on 'Easy Street' (I feel like an old man when i say that)
    Last edited by peterbound; 09-13-2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Clarification based on re read of OP's problem.

Forum Member

Wow..alot of love going around in the room....

MembersZone Subscriber

Kum ba YAH, my lord...

Thread Information