Forum Member

Default Crimson buys LTI/ALF plant

It is finally official, our dealer met with us today and showed us the announcement that Crimson has purchased the LTI plant in Ephrata PA.

I guess with a lot of the big orders they are receiving from large cities like Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Buffalo they needed more space for their aerial plant. We should be signing another contract within 30 days for another Crimson aerial.

Congrats to the Crimson and Spartan team on making this happen!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ladderman View Post
    It is finally official, our dealer met with us today and showed us the announcement that Crimson has purchased the LTI plant in Ephrata PA.

I guess with a lot of the big orders they are receiving from large cities like Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Buffalo they needed more space for their aerial plant. We should be signing another contract within 30 days for another Crimson aerial.

Congrats to the Crimson and Spartan team on making this happen!!!!
    Bought? OR LEASED? As far as I know this wasn't for general disclosure yet. My little birdies are leaning toward LEASED! If indeed either is true, Congratulations Crimson,it will give you some badly needed space. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 09-11-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Forum Member

It is LEASED. The property is still owned by the Zimmermans, the original founders of LTI. The move of the Crimson Aerials plant from Lancaster to Ephrata is underway at this time.

Forum Member

Well at least the move should be relatively painless. 15 miles,give or take, T.C.

Forum Member

Actually a little closer than that, T.C. The drive from the old Crimson plant to the LTI facility is only about 11 miles (a little over 6 as the crow flies). Most of the workers are old LTI employees anyway so it's no real change for them. Now they do have a lot more room up there to include more parking space inside for all of their stock aerial trucks.

Forum Member

Question Lti ?

Is American Lafrance building any type of aerial apparatus down in there S.C. plant ?

Forum Member

From what I've been told, they are definitely not building any aerials down in SC but I'm not sure what else is going on down there.

Forum Member

This may be good news from our location. We are in desperate need of several aerials quickly. Hopefully someone on the committee will see this, and bid accordingly.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    Is American Lafrance building any type of aerial apparatus down in there S.C. plant ?
    I had heard that anything they were building no matter what it is was at the Ephrata plant and nothing going on in SC.

Forum Member

From what my understanding is (and correct me if anyone has different information) Crimson took over most of the buildings in Ephrata (from the Zimmermann's) and ALF/LTI moved all of their welding fixtures to one of the smaller buildings on the property.

Forum Member

The last I heard from some of the Crimson Aerials guys that were moving up to Ephrata is that Crimson Fire was leasing (not sure who the lease is actually with) most of the buildings in the old LTI complex. ALF/LTI was still utilizing one of the smaller buildings up there. As of a few weeks ago, only a hand full of ALF employees were working on pump modules for some pumpers and that was about it. Don't know what they are doing now. I might be going up there soon so I might do a little snooping around to see what's going on.

Forum Member

Public records currently show that the property located at 64 Cocalico Creek Rd., Ephrata, PA (the LTI facility) is owned by ZIMCO Partners which is the Zimmerman family, the original owners/founders of LTI.

Forum Member

Default Crimson Web-Site

From the Crimson website.

http://www.crimson-fire.com/news/New...aFacility.aspx

From what I remember when we purchased our LTI this is a really really nice fire apparatus factory.

Forum Member

It's about time they finally made it official! They've been in the process of moving up to Ephrata for almost a month now.

Forum Member

Default Spartan Press Release

Official Spartan Release Below

Crimson Fire Aerials Relocates to Meet Growing Demand

EPHRATA, Pennsylvania, September 15, 2010 – An industry leader in emergency response aerial products, Crimson Fire Aerials, Inc., a subsidiary of Spartan Motors, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPAR), is relocating its manufacturing and service operations to nearby Ephrata, Penn. The facility, designed and constructed specifically to manufacture aerials, was formerly home to American LaFrance’s ladder production.

“Securing a long-term agreement for a building with tremendous infrastructure in the heart of ‘aerial
    country’ ensures that we are poised to meet the needs of customers now and into the future,” said Jim Salmi, President of Crimson Fire Aerials. “Everyone here is excited for the first customer inspection, service training or sales presentation to take place. Continuing to exceed our customers’ expectations was first and foremost in the decision to relocate.”

The new plant, which is just minutes away from Crimson Fire’s current facility in Lancaster, provides manufacturing space, as well as multiple bays for service and refurbishment work. The site also features the outdoor capacity to test aerial devices and fire pumps. The company has installed a 40,000-gallon in-ground water tank, slope test pad and tower to collect discharged water from units undergoing validation.

“As the height of buildings around the world continues upward, more departments need complex aerial equipment to keep their communities safe,” said John Sztykiel, President and CEO of Spartan Motors, Inc.
    “The investment in relocating this business to a purpose-built facility will enhance operational efficiencies and reduce production lead time. Whether a customer specifies a custom or a refurbished vehicle, Crimson has the capabilities to deliver a quality vehicle, on-time.”

Relocation activities are scheduled for completion by the end of October 2010.

For more information on the relocation of Crimson Fire Aerials and images of the new facility, please visit:
    http://www.crimson-fire.com/news/New...aFacility.aspx

About Crimson Fire
    Crimson Fire is a leading manufacturer of custom aerial fire trucks. A subsidiary of Spartan Motors, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPAR), Crimson Fire is committed to quality, value and innovation. For more information, visit www.crimson- fire.com.

Russell Chick
    Corporate Director of Marketing

Forum Member

Post ALF/LTI Sales

American Lafrance had two sales people trying to sell there products factory direct, at the New Jersey Fire Expo this weekend in Wildwood. So it looks like they are still in business !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    American Lafrance had two sales people trying to sell there products factory direct, at the New Jersey Fire Expo this weekend in Wildwood. So it looks like they are still in business !
    I would sure like to know WHERE. The ALF mystery continues!

Forum Member

Default Crimson open house

Does anyone know if Crimson is planning a open house once they move into the old LTI plant?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ladderman View Post
    Does anyone know if Crimson is planning a open house once they move into the old LTI plant?
    Don't know but I'll ask them.

Forum Member

Man....it is a wonder how rumors get started.

There are 4 main buildlings at the Ephrata plant. Crimson leases the largest building, but ALF leases the other 3. If you have ever seen the location, it looks like ALF still has more square footage and land, but in 3 buildings instead of one. Crimson is moving out of their main aerial facility probably (my rumor this time) because ALF downsized out of the main building and the Zimmerman's needed to lease it. Guess is Crimson got a good deal. Not a lot of growth outside of the one building.

I guess Ephrata is now the first test model for the Lowes/Home Depot concept. Two buildings selling the same thing, but located within a stones throw of each other.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FRANCISBRUCE View Post
    Man....it is a wonder how rumors get started.

There are 4 main buildlings at the Ephrata plant. Crimson leases the largest building, but ALF leases the other 3. If you have ever seen the location, it looks like ALF still has more square footage and land, but in 3 buildings instead of one. Crimson is moving out of their main aerial facility probably (my rumor this time) because ALF downsized out of the main building and the Zimmerman's needed to lease it. Guess is Crimson got a good deal. Not a lot of growth outside of the one building.

I guess Ephrata is now the first test model for the Lowes/Home Depot concept. Two buildings selling the same thing, but located within a stones throw of each other.
    WRONG! 5 buildings on property, Crimson leased at least TWO of the five INCLUDING the test tower and the LARGE bldg. I've SEEN the internal Crimson memo.Now there is still speculation on the other storage type building, it appears to be Alf at the moment but who knows. For the Ephrata conniseaur. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 09-20-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Forum Member

If you look at the footprint of the site you have 5 structures on site. The main Facility that Crimson maybe Leasing from Zimco Inc is the old LTI ? ALF weld shop and assembly line and office portion of the operation, The weld shop has 1-paint booth and a Blast Booth in it. The only paint building on site is still being used by ALF. Alf has the old Fab/ Machine shop, the paint shop, the old service shop and the new shop that was added onto the Fab/Machine shop. I guess My question maybe if ALF has the only Paint Building on site, this means that Crimson will have to install a paint finish booth into there operation and if this is done. Who will determine the VOC output of both operations being so close together? Good luck Boys let the games begin.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe from reading a few "insider" memos/emails that Crimson has leased all but one building at the Ephrata plant? IIRC the one building remaining under ALF/LTI is the large building to the right as you enter the property? For the life of me I can't recall what that was being used for when we were there in 2006, but I did think they had a paint booth in one of the smaller buildings in the far right corner on the elevated portion of the property.

Anyway, I hope this works out well for Crimson and we'll wait and see what the future holds for ALF/LTI. Does anyone know if ALF had set up to building aerials down south?

Forum Member

The paint and blast booths were removed from the main building. Believe they were sold during the auction.

Forum Member

From what I have been told Crimson is installing new Paint booths along with other upgrades to the buildings.

Thread Information