MembersZone Subscriber

Default Needing Intro to USAR training resources

First off, thank you for your time. I'm a combat medic with an infantry unit in the Missouri Army National Guard. I am also a ff/paramedic for a medium sized suburban department outside of Kansas City, Missouri.

I am needing some help with developing a class. Our infantry battalion is developing an automatic deployment plan for a response to a major earthquake threat. This threat derives from the New Madrid Fault Line in southern Missouri. (see image below.) Part of our mission could include search and rescue operations in collapsed and partially collapsed structures.

We are always looking for some good section training for our medics. To coincide with the plan our battalion is putting together; I am developing a class to teach our soldiers an awareness level to the dangers involved with urban search and rescue. I want them to be able to identify the signs of impending collapse and instability... in hopes they notify the appropriately trained specialty resources, and don't try to make entry.

If they show the aptitude, then I may do some training with our medics in the basics of shoring and collapse extrication.

But I need some help. Here in Missouri it is virtually impossible to find training courses on this type of search and rescue. If anyone has any knowledge of some train-the-trainer courses or has any training materials such as power points, photos, and diagrams of rescue techniques... it would be extremely valuable in helping me develop these classes.

If you have any of this information, or would like to share materials, I would be extremely grateful. Feel free to send me a private message, or an email to Carichey@gmail.com.

Thank you for your time.

Spc. Craig Richey
    1/138th Inf. HHC.
    FF/P Gladstone Fire Department
    Last edited by Carichey; 09-14-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Forum Member

I would contact one of the established USAR Task Forces.

Here's a link to the North Texas team's website. They have links to the other teams in the lower right corner.

http://www.northtexasusar.com/

Good luck!
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool USAR Training

Check F.E.M.A.'s website..... Check California's OES website also..... Just a couple off the top of my head.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Carichey View Post
    First off, thank you for your time. I'm a combat medic with an infantry unit in the Missouri Army National Guard. I am also a ff/paramedic for a medium sized suburban department outside of Kansas City, Missouri.

I am needing some help with developing a class. Our infantry battalion is developing an automatic deployment plan for a response to a major earthquake threat. This threat derives from the New Madrid Fault Line in southern Missouri. (see image below.) Part of our mission could include search and rescue operations in collapsed and partially collapsed structures.

We are always looking for some good section training for our medics. To coincide with the plan our battalion is putting together; I am developing a class to teach our soldiers an awareness level to the dangers involved with urban search and rescue. I want them to be able to identify the signs of impending collapse and instability... in hopes they notify the appropriately trained specialty resources, and don't try to make entry.

If they show the aptitude, then I may do some training with our medics in the basics of shoring and collapse extrication.

But I need some help. Here in Missouri it is virtually impossible to find training courses on this type of search and rescue. If anyone has any knowledge of some train-the-trainer courses or has any training materials such as power points, photos, and diagrams of rescue tent

Contact these folks. Great people right here in Missouri.

http://www.bcfdmo.com/missouri_tf1/

Scott Olsen at solsen@bcfdmo.com is the Chief.

Have you talked to MFRTI at http://www.mufrti.org/ ?

If you don't get anywhere let me know....

Forum Member

Sorry, a little late to this post but check out the following training resources:

http://www.musartf.org/
    http://www.collapserescue.com/

Both offer excellent training using very competent, experienced instructors.

Thread Information