Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bunker Pants

Forum Member

Default Bunker Pants

Quick Question: How much of a bigger size should your bunker pants waist be than your regular waist pants size? Like if you have a 32-34 size waist for regular pants, jeans, etc., how much bigger should your bunker pants be? 36? 38? or should they still be 34? Just kinda curious. Thanks.

Usually add 2" to your waist size and 2" off of your inseam works but the best route is to be measured by the gear vendor or try on different sets.

You aren't planning on buying your own gear, are you?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. No, I am not planning on buying my gear. I was just kinda curious to tell you the truth. Just wanted to see if there was a general consensus out there.

Don't go by your waist at all - especially if you're getting the pants that have a bib or just a higher waist. Go by the largest measurement of your mid section that will be covered by the pants.

The voice of experience. We had to send back several pairs of pants because the salesman used our waist measurements. Even 2" more would have made for a tight fit for some of our people - and I'm not talking the rotund ones, either.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    You aren't planning on buying your own gear, are you?
    So what if he is? You know... there are some less fortunate departments out there that members have to provide their own gear or end up wearing some really old (non NFPA compliant ) gear.

To the OP: The pants are usually 2"-4" over your regular waist size.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by shoelessT View Post
    Quick Question: How much of a bigger size should your bunker pants waist be than your regular waist pants size? Like if you have a 32-34 size waist for regular pants, jeans, etc., how much bigger should your bunker pants be? 36? 38? or should they still be 34? Just kinda curious. Thanks.

The best route here is to try on the trousers, with the normal work trousers on, to be sure it fits you.

I wear a 42 X 30 regular trouser and a 46 X 28 turnout trouser so there is some room between my regular trouser and the turnout ones. No since in feeling like you are in cocoon.

Remember this too, all trousers are not cut the same! Some fit tighter and some loose being all the same waist size and from different manufacturers as well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I've found that having the actual sales rep come out and size you is the best. Especially if they have a set of gear that you can try on. Our local Globe rep comes in and sizes us when we need gear. We have had no problems with pants or coats being too tight or loose. Probably the best thing our department has done in a long time as far as gear arrangements goes.

Find out if you've got a sales rep that can hook you up.

Forum Member downstate_firefighter's Avatar

What I made sure to do when I got sized was to wear my winter clothes - sweatshirt w/ undershirt, jeans, thick socks, etc. That way I knew that come February I wouldn't feel like I was being squeezed to death in my gear.

Several of us also took the opportunity to crawl around and mimic some fireground activities just to be sure that there were no issues in the snug places (knees, crotch, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by downstate_firefighter View Post
    What I made sure to do when I got sized was to wear my winter clothes - sweatshirt w/ undershirt, jeans, thick socks, etc. That way I knew that come February I wouldn't feel like I was being squeezed to death in my gear.

Several of us also took the opportunity to crawl around and mimic some fireground activities just to be sure that there were no issues in the snug places (knees, crotch, etc.).
    Yep... you must plan for that extra clothing you might wear and not when you're wearing the beach wardrobe. On some people... 2 to 4 inches will not be enough, while on others it might be too much.

Just try it on before you buy it.

I don't buy anything until I know it fits.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Thread Information