Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipad Use

Forum Member

Default Ipad Use

I was wondering if anybody uses an Ipad at the firehouse.

Like for a box book, mapping, reports etc.

Thanks

We prefer to use real computers over novelty tech-toys.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

The novelty tech-toy is pretty neat though. A lot of stuff is fast and easy to obtain with your lil finger tips. The wireless 3G also makes it more mobile than your standard computer.

Posted from my Ipad.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer166 View Post
    I was wondering if anybody uses an Ipad at the firehouse.

Like for a box book, mapping, reports etc.

Thanks

Members can have these or a laptop in the fire house as they can't used the departments computer unless they are doing FD Business or checking their FD E-Mail account.

All the houses are Wi-Fi connected.

The FD stuff is all on the FD house coumpters and mobile data computers on all rides and not on other devices.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 09-14-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Would be for on the road and not in the firehouse. We do not have computers on the trucks. I have loaded our box book today and was looking for some map software. Was thinking if Pictometry made a slimmed down app of their software, it might be useful. One of the nice things I like about the ipad is it starts and loads fast, and the ease of zooming. It is also a lot lighter to carry around than a laptop.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elmer166 View Post
    One of the nice things I like about the ipad is it starts and loads fast, and the ease of zooming. It is also a lot lighter to carry around than a laptop.
    That 'ease of zooming' is not so easy when you're bouncing down the road in the truck. Even with the touchpad of our Toughbooks its difficult.

They already have Wiser and ERG for the iPhone.. probably work on the iPad as well.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    The novelty tech-toy is pretty neat though. A lot of stuff is fast and easy to obtain with your lil finger tips. The wireless 3G also makes it more mobile than your standard computer.
    Nonetheless, it's still a "proof of concept" rushed to market absent some important features. (At least they got around to adding 3G with the latest version...) Wait a year until the more serious tablet computers (with a real OS) hit the market.

(BTW, 3G has been available in laptops for years. )

Forum Member

Three words...

NOT FIREFIGHTER PROOF

You are talking about a group of guys who can break the unbreakable.

Talking

A five hundred pound ANVIL is not firefighter proof

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Nonetheless, it's still a "proof of concept" rushed to market absent some important features. (At least they got around to adding 3G with the latest version...) Wait a year until the more serious tablet computers (with a real OS) hit the market.

I know. Just being a smart ***. My bad......
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Iranfromthezoo

What features were absent? Also what OS are you referring to?

Apple invented the iOS from the ground up using UNix technology and was designed to work with hardware that many tablet and handheld computers have rather than Microsoft designing Windows for desktop hardware and then scaling it down. Windows OS is horrible in a tablet environment and Microsoft is trying to come up with a better OS.

Apple on the other hand has a rock solid OS for the iPad intended use. It was never intended to be used by firefighters but by consumers and business professionals, but that doesn't mean it can't be adapted.

MembersZone Subscriber TruckSkipper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcwops View Post
    Three words...

NOT FIREFIGHTER PROOF

You are talking about a group of guys who can break the unbreakable.
    Thank you! I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would give an expensive, fragile, and costly piece of electronic equipment to a bunch of firemen and expect it to last until lunch time.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Quote Originally Posted by Cato36 View Post
    What features were absent? Also what OS are you referring to?
    3G was the most glaring omission in the original release but the absence of a camera/video conferencing capabilities, absence of USB ports, absence of an upgrade path, and the standard Apple software monopoly are the leading criticisms.

As for the OS, I'd be much happier seeing a tablet driven by a full blown OS -- be it Windows or *nix or, better still, a choice of either -- than a proprietary stripped down OS adapted for limited use on a smart phone.

It'll be interesting when HP releases it's Slate tablet. By all accounts it'll blow the iPad out of the water and force the market to get competitive. When that happens it'll be time to re-evaluate tablet PCs.

Iranfromthezoo

3G was the most glaring omission in the original release but the absence of a camera/video conferencing capabilities, absence of USB ports, absence of an upgrade path, and the standard Apple software monopoly are the leading criticisms.

As for the OS, I'd be much happier seeing a tablet driven by a full blown OS -- be it Windows or *nix or, better still, a choice of either -- than a proprietary stripped down OS adapted for limited use on a smart phone.

It'll be interesting when HP releases it's Slate tablet. By all accounts it'll blow the iPad out of the water and force the market to get competitive. When that happens it'll be time to re-evaluate tablet PCs.
    Apple had a 3G plan for the iPad since it came out. AT&T has a plan, the 3G iPads took a month longer to come out with approval of the FCC...Not Apple's fault.

Camera, yeah that should be in the next revision. The iPad allows you to use USB devices with it's connector.

Apple's software monopoly? The app store with over 50,000 apps...heck you can write an app for free and name your price...that is not a monopoly, that's free market.

The HP slate will not use the Windows OS, does not have camera, and no USB outs. It uses a OS designed for a phone, Palm's webOS. The iOS from Apple on the other hand was not designed for a phone, it was designed for a tablet that was scaled down to a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato36 View Post
    Apple had a 3G plan for the iPad since it came out. AT&T has a plan, the 3G iPads took a month longer to come out with approval of the FCC...Not Apple's fault.
    The FCC didn't set the release date. That was Apple rushing to market with a device they knew was incomplete knowing that the Apple lemmings would buy it anyway.

AT&T is another flaw I neglected to mention. Better to have carrier options than be forced to use what is easily the worst carrier going.

with it's connector
    Having to use a proprietary connector pretty well defeats the concept of a Universal Serial Port.

Apple's software monopoly? The app store with over 50,000 apps...
    99% of which are trivial but that's another discussion. Those apps are only permitted to be on the iPhone store if Apple approves of them.

heck you can write an app for free and name your price...that is not a monopoly, that's free market.
    You can write anything you want and name any price you want. You just can't sell it on the iPhone store unless Apple approves of it. You can try to sell elsewhere but then you can only sell to people with jailbroken iPhones/iPads which Apple reserves the right to brick if they get caught. That's not a free market. That's a monopoly.

The HP slate will not use the Windows OS, does not have camera, and no USB outs. It uses a OS designed for a phone, Palm's webOS.
    If that's the case then they've redesigned it from the bottom up since the last press release I read.

The iOS from Apple on the other hand was not designed for a phone, it was designed for a tablet that was scaled down to a phone.
    I beg to differ but it's a moot point. Either way it's a far cry from it's *nix antecedent. If we're going to look at *nix derivatives, Android OS has already proven itself superior to iOS and doesn't share the market limitations imposed by Apple.

At our annual meeting, our Chief Information Officer held the IPad up to the crowd of collected executives, directors and managers and discussed the future uses of the device with amazement.

It's pretty amazing, the most amazing part, that's often overlooked? It doesn't give off any appreciable heat... pretty amazing, really.

I have one, it's a novelty for me but there is no denying the incredible engineering that went into this device. I see many uses in the future in many applications.

...and I ain't no Apple zombie. I have and will always? be a PC guy. But this thing is awesome.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Iranfromthezoo

The FCC didn't set the release date. That was Apple rushing to market with a device they knew was incomplete knowing that the Apple lemmings would buy it anyway.
    No it was not, Apple has a very vibrant rumor mill and the iPad leaks were starting to take hold. Apple announced the iPad before the FCC did. It's common knowledge the FCC usually lets the cat out of the bag for many things.

AT&T is another flaw I neglected to mention. Better to have carrier options than be forced to use what is easily the worst carrier going.
    Can't disagree there.

You can write anything you want and name any price you want. You just can't sell it on the iPhone store unless Apple approves of it. You can try to sell elsewhere but then you can only sell to people with jailbroken iPhones/iPads which Apple reserves the right to brick if they get caught. That's not a free market. That's a monopoly.
    Yes, Apple has to approve, their approval ratings are at 96%...Some monopoly.

If that's the case then they've redesigned it from the bottom up since the last press release I read.
    Yes they have since Ballmer introduced it at CES. HP has outright bought Palm and is making Palm webOS devices.

I beg to differ but it's a moot point. Either way it's a far cry from it's *nix antecedent. If we're going to look at *nix derivatives, Android OS has already proven itself superior to iOS and doesn't share the market limitations imposed by Apple.
    True the Android is currently outselling the iPhone daily but when you look at the devices and networks it is on it understandable. The iPad on the other hand is outselling any previous netbook or tablet OS which Microsoft invented in 2001 with Bill Gates introducing it. Regardless of whether you like the iPad or not you have to agree that Apple takes a product and makes it better.

iPod, iPhone, iPad and even the most modern operating system Mac OS...It's built on Unix and is a very strong OS...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    A five hundred pound ANVIL is not firefighter proof
    Give a firefighter two ball bearings and stick him in an empty room. He'll lose one and break the other.

I think the concept of an iPad-like device has some promise. We're already using touch-screens with the notebook PC's, but they're bulky and expensive.

The iPad does have some options for protective cases, but the software market for what we need I don't think is quite there. However, I saw that Firehouse Software has an inspection module for the iPad, which makes me wonder what else they have in the works.

For my small, small-budget vollie department, the price is right and the ability to have a wireless connection is certainly a plus. Get the software suites that we need and it'll be tempting to have a serious look.

I believe our Fire Official/Inspector uses one... not sure, though.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Give a firefighter two ball bearings and stick him in an empty room. He'll lose one and break the other.
    I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.. Thank you!

-Damien

Thread Information