Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Been out of the service for a while... Chances?

So I was Marine CFR and got off active duty in August 2008, and havent been firefighting since. I've been a dispatcher for the past year and went to college for a year before that. Lately I've been wanting to get back overseas doing either firefighting or PSD, but leaning more towards firefighting b/c my wife prefers it.

I believe i'll need to get my first responder back before i can even apply, but all my other DOD should still be active (FF1&2, Airport FF, HazMat Ops1, Fire Instructor 1) as far as i know.

So will having a two year break in my fire service career pretty much kill my chances of getting on with any of the companies in Afghanistan or Iraq? I dont know much about contract firefighting so any advice you can throw my way is greatly appreciated as well!!

Forum Member

IFSAC certs aren't active or inactive. If you want to know what you had when you left the USMC in 2008, google DOD Certs, type in your last name and last four of your SSN and you'll see what you have. Most of the companies require a certain amount of experience, to my knowledge I do not believe any of them require you to be currently serving in the capacity of firefighting. And as a dispatcher, I believe you would be ok anyways. Don't forget to get your CPR also. Go ahead and apply, sounds like you have the basic requirements. Some of the companies will get you spun up on first responder and cpr upon in-processing. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bent101 View Post
    IFSAC certs aren't active or inactive. If you want to know what you had when you left the USMC in 2008, google DOD Certs, type in your last name and last four of your SSN and you'll see what you have. Most of the companies require a certain amount of experience, to my knowledge I do not believe any of them require you to be currently serving in the capacity of firefighting. And as a dispatcher, I believe you would be ok anyways. Don't forget to get your CPR also. Go ahead and apply, sounds like you have the basic requirements. Some of the companies will get you spun up on first responder and cpr upon in-processing. Good luck.
    sweet, thanks. i went and checked it out, and i still have all of those certs. so DOD/IFSAC certs dont expire? once you get them you're set? i never really knew how the whole cert stuff worked... wasnt exactly my area of expertise.

I've got red cross CPR from working at 911, do you think going to a community college and getting a legit north carolina first responder cert will be necessary before applying?

Quote Originally Posted by ridebmxnc View Post
    DOD/IFSAC certs dont expire?
    Nope. Some states may, NC may be one. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Nope. Some states may, NC may be one. Good luck.

thanks Gunny. Guess i'll have to call the NC fire commission on monday and see what their rules are on certs expiring.

this is all still up in the air right now and depends on if i get a job with the Police though.

Forum Member

Ride BMX NC -

I am the CEO of Newtex, a company that makes Aluminized materials for Proximity Suits. I read your post back in Aug 2009 about you wearing Silvers into a building fire (your General's). I'd love to talk to you about that experience and your overall experience using Silvers. There is alot of misinformation on proximity gear, and first hand accounts will be helpful.

If this reaches you, please send me a note at jjoliet@newtex.com If you will be at FDIC conference in Indy this month, please stop by our booth.

All the best. - Jerry

Thread Information