Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Apparatus Tool Mounting: Front Bumper

What are everyone’s thoughts about mounting tools such as your specially prepared halligans, roof hooks, water cans, fold ups, etc on the front bumper of your apparatus?

Mainly what I want to focus on is a halligan & roof hook (married together) mounted on the front bumper of an aerial apparatus.

What are the pros and cons?

Is there anything from the NFPA that does not allow this or a guideline as to how they should be mounted to meet the standards? Mounted married, mounted seperate?

If anyone knows of any good articles out there, please share. Your input would be much appreciated as well.

Key:

Specially Prepared: Welded chain link or custom loop for horizontal ventilation using utility rope.
    Fold Ups: How ever your department refers to them as. Fold ups, high rise/apartment packs, bags.

If anyone thinks this post does dont belong here, please let me know. I thought this would be the correct place. If not, I will re-post and try to delete. I would rather it be right spot to get the most amount and accurate input.

-Chris
    Last edited by Roof798; 09-15-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Personally, I like exterior mounted tools that are easily accessible.

I am sure that the only "rules" that apply are ones dealing with tool specific and rated mounts so that they do not easily become flying projectiles in the event of a crash.

Tools mounted on the bumper are almost limitless - attack lines, supply lines, spanner wrenches, hydrant wrenches, extrication equipment, pike poles, axes, halogens, adaptors, extinguishers, pumps, horns, lights, speakers, Q's, etc. All have been mounted on, to, or in the front bumper.

Look at firepics.net for a bunch of fire apparatus pictures and get other ideas.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 09-15-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

We have mounted ours as close to the doors on the trucks as possible. That way, it's grabbed as soon as the guy gets out of the door, no walking around the truck looking for stuff.

Of course, open space will lead to where your tools can/will be.

Personally, no problem with the front bumper if that's your best option.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

We don't allow any tool to be mounted on the front bumper as it may be in the way of the front suction line and the front bumper attack hose lines. Plus if you have extrication tools, i.e. Hurst, Lukas, or whatever the brand may be, the other axes, bars, hooks etc will get in the way.

MembersZone Subscriber

The PAC Tool Mounting Brackets work well for what you are wanting to do.

http://www.pactoolmounts.com/

Also take a look on http://www.vententersearch.com/ , they have some interesting tips on stowing tools with ladders, etc. under the "tips from the bucket" section.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ejfeicht; 09-16-2010 at 07:35 PM.

I don't like it. Opening a compartment takes 5 seconds.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

So does unhooking a Bungi cord,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Our current engines and quints already have a bumper line and front suction on the fornt bumper so space is limited. On some of the older engines some companies keep their high rise packs on the front bumper.

As for tools I think that it would be more work then it is worth (rust). In a compartment is fine with me

By the time you take an extended front bumper, add a front jumpline compartment, a front suction and a pedestal mount Federal, anything else would just be clutter.

Yes fire engines are working machines, but there are some of us out there who think they should look halfway decent while doing it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Personally, I like exterior mounted tools that are easily accessible.
    BINGO... get this man a beer!

I couldn't agree more. Tool mounting should be done with doing the job in mind, not just cause it fits, or looks cool. We took about 2 days figuring out where we wanted the tools on our engine and on our truck. it makes for long days, but it's worth it at 2 am on a job. Easily accessible tools is just as key. WHen you pull up you know what your job is and what you need to do it, the tools associated with that should be as easy to get to as possible.

Just be sure to make sure your cab can be tilted with the tools mounted on the bumper.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Default Thank You

Thank you all for your input, very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    BINGO... get this man a beer!

I couldn't agree more. Tool mounting should be done with doing the job in mind, not just cause it fits, or looks cool. We took about 2 days figuring out where we wanted the tools on our engine and on our truck. it makes for long days, but it's worth it at 2 am on a job. Easily accessible tools is just as key. WHen you pull up you know what your job is and what you need to do it, the tools associated with that should be as easy to get to as possible.

Just be sure to make sure your cab can be tilted with the tools mounted on the bumper.

It just makes it easy for thugs to rip off any tool that is in plain view.

Inside the compartments, takes time to open and remove a tool.

Most front bumpers have limited space if you have a front suction, attack lines there.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information