Default New Guy with Draeger Question

I am two weeks into academy in a fire consortium. I was hired about a week before class started. I'm looking for tips on changing a draeger screw on bottle while breating from it. It is not a quick release bottle. It is the old Pss 90. If I just have to become an Iron Lung I will. Just looking for some knowlage. I have been getting better and I have pretty good control over my breathing. This is the only task I have had a problem with. None of the instructors of other students have had any experince with Draeger's (all scott's) and they're quick change bottles are a snap to change. Just reaching out thanks in advance for any help. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

There is no easy way to change the cylinder. Are you talking about changing in a toxic atmosphere? I found if you balance cylinder on end then you can bring pack to cylinder. Use one hand on the pack and one on the connection. You can raise or lower pack to align connection. When it is aligned right it goes on very easy.

I'll give it a shot it's something different and this is the time to practice. Thanks for your help.

Forum Member

I think I know the types of bottles and connenctions you are talking about. They are a bitch to change when they aren't on your back and you aren't breathing from them. The threads get messed up really easy. I don't see a real easy way to do this without having another person to help. Because once you have the bottle screwed on you have to tighten the straps, which is impossible to reach around and do it, the pack must be taken off.

Thread Information