Forum Member

Default ARFF water supply

At your Airport, how do you handle water supply for Aircraft incidents and buildings? Do you reley on outside jurisdiction to set up hose lays for hydrants or water tender shuttles? Do you have the crash truck leave its set up and go resupply itself?

I am assisting in setting up a water supply SOG for my department. We have hydrants on the runways but Aircraft dont crash next to them all the time. We are thinking of having the first in Engine set up relay pump operation for resupply of the crash trucks, we respond 2 on all Alerts. If you have a policy and can email it we can read it and borrow some ideas please do. Any and all suggestion would be great.

Forum Member

Given we don't have a reliable source of water on the airport, we rely on our mutual aid companies to set up a rural type tanker shuttle. We are planning on getting connected to community water in the near future, however the closest hydrants will be located near the ARFF station, requiring either hose lay or shuttle depending on the location of the incident.

Forum Member

Thanks, we have hydrants, 40-50 psi at best. We just never have had a policy or trained on water shuttles, even though we have a 3000 gallon tender! We also do the tender thing for the city if the water system goes down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Our Operation.....

We run a Titan and a Pierce Water Tender out of one of our Stations that is located on an airport. Both have 1,500 gallons of water that they bring. If needed the WT will re-service from a hydrant on the runway and then return. It's a County Airport so we get a full response from them also.

Anything off the airport is supplied by both Units and then the WT re-services at the closest hydrant.

For what information you've posted here, my suggestion would be to leave the ARFF in their setup and supply with the WT. Nurse the bigger WT (3,000) gallons with how ever many WTs you have available or need for the incident. Assign the Engine Companies to assist with Rescue/Evac or shutdown (low impact incidents) and on high impact incidents assign them to Fire Attack. As additional personnel come in, augment your manpower or give them assignments that need to be completed.

I'll send you a copy of the PDA for my Crew. Hope this helps.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Thanks for posting

An other Firefighter and I are trying to change the "Old School" thinking in our department. It is an uphill battle. We are lucky to have 2 Crash trucks, an Engine, Ambulance and Command car respond on all Alerts with a full Box Alarm Asignment from Cleveland Fire, following for help if we need it. I just got the Chiefs to use the incoming Engines to do water support if needed at our last Disaster Drill. It is hard to find Department with set SOP/SOGs that they use. We have almost none!

Thread Information