Forum Member

Default Wear of DoD Civilian Medals in uniform

Hello all my fellow DoD Firedawgs,

Was wondering if anyone had any information on the wear of Civilian Service Medal Ribbons on the fire department dress uniform? I have seen members of many departments wearing these ribbons on the uniforms. I member of my department got a hard core *** chewing from the Chief for wearing a Department of Army Achievement Medal for Civilian Service on his Class B shirt. If anyone has any guidance I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Vincent

Forum Member

First, I'm a Marine, so I don't know Army uniform regulations. However, I would have to believe the Army has a page in the person's record book to list personal awards. If it ain't on there, it shouldn't be worn in uniform. I have to believe that if it's not in your uniform regs allowing you to wear it, you can't.

Besides, don't you Army guys give out enough ribbons and medals as it is?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    First, I'm a Marine, so I don't know Army uniform regulations. However, I would have to believe the Army has a page in the person's record book to list personal awards. If it ain't on there, it shouldn't be worn in uniform. I have to believe that if it's not in your uniform regs allowing you to wear it, you can't.

Besides, don't you Army guys give out enough ribbons and medals as it is?
    naw, gunny, that's the Air Force your thinking about. the AF gives a ribbon for not getting in trouble every 3 years and doing your job satisfactorily every 4 years. not to mention getting 2 separate ribbons for going on a 4 month vacation to qatar. i believe you get an extra device if you refrain from getting plastered on the beach resort in doha.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    naw, gunny, that's the Air Force your thinking about. the AF gives a ribbon for not getting in trouble every 3 years and doing your job satisfactorily every 4 years. not to mention getting 2 separate ribbons for going on a 4 month vacation to qatar. i believe you get an extra device if you refrain from getting plastered on the beach resort in doha.
    Well, all the services have gone stupid with awards, but the USMC is still just a little behind. A Marine friend of mine got a Navy Commendation Medal with V for the same incident an Army guy got a Bronze Star with V. The Army guy also got an Army Commendation Medal as an end of tour award, as well as a CAB. The Marine did not get a Combat Action Ribbon because it was under "indirect fire".

During Desert Storm, the crews of two Navy amphibs tied up in Saudi were awarded Combat Action ribbons because a scud landed on a pier a mile away. The Marines on the ships refused to accept them, as they knew their buddies in Kuwait were earning them the hard way.

On the civilian side, I know departments whose chiefs look like South American dictators with all the fruit salad, while my dept doesn't even have an awards program. Since the fire service can't agree on NIMS or apparatus specs, I doubt we can come up with a common awards program.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Well, all the services have gone stupid with awards, but the USMC is still just a little behind. A Marine friend of mine got a Navy Commendation Medal with V for the same incident an Army guy got a Bronze Star with V. The Army guy also got an Army Commendation Medal as an end of tour award, as well as a CAB. The Marine did not get a Combat Action Ribbon because it was under "indirect fire".

During Desert Storm, the crews of two Navy amphibs tied up in Saudi were awarded Combat Action ribbons because a scud landed on a pier a mile away. The Marines on the ships refused to accept them, as they knew their buddies in Kuwait were earning them the hard way.

On the civilian side, I know departments whose chiefs look like South American dictators with all the fruit salad, while my dept doesn't even have an awards program. Since the fire service can't agree on NIMS or apparatus specs, I doubt we can come up with a common awards program.
    I was probably 100 yards from that Scud, assuming you are talking about the Port of Jubail, no Combat Action Ribbon was even discussed for those of us on terra-firma.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    I was probably 100 yards from that Scud, assuming you are talking about the Port of Jubail, no Combat Action Ribbon was even discussed for those of us on terra-firma.
    Lol... heard that. I was one vehicle away from an SVBIED strike and the thought never crossed thier minds. took direct and indirect a number of times in addition to that too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    Ha, you know they did away with that for a long time right (good conduct). Enough people complained about it though that they brought it back. Never before has a more pointless medal been awarded.

As to the OP. Why would you /want/ to wear it? Get the award and put on your trophy case. Don't be /that guy/ when you wear your service dress. Just makes you look douchy.

Forum Member

1. Nah gunny im just an Army civilian
    2. Yes ShredinCali I was in the airforce and we sure did get alot of stupid awards for doing nothing

Thread Information