Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada Calling

Forum Member

Thumbs up Canada Calling

Hey all. I'm a full-time member of Edmonton Fire and Rescue services, in Edmonton, Alberta. I've been trying to initiate an exchange to Australia and New Zealand for quite some time now. NZ HR tell me they are not sponsoring exchanges any longer. Would still love to get to Australia. If interested (or if you hear of anyone) please contact me at dandardis@shaw.ca. Thanx.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    Hey all. I'm a full-time member of Edmonton Fire and Rescue services, in Edmonton, Alberta. I've been trying to initiate an exchange to Australia and New Zealand for quite some time now. NZ HR tell me they are not sponsoring exchanges any longer. Would still love to get to Australia. If interested (or if you hear of anyone) please contact me at dandardis@shaw.ca. Thanx.
    nah... Australia's even worse than canada...soft in the head and no balls when it comes to doing the job and "getting it".

you might play well with a certain Canadian pinko badge bunny on here though, she gives her passionate little life story - mini dating bio on her location and has pasted the cavemen's logo as her buff profile pic. (cavemen are a engine and ladder on the upper west side of manhattan).

Default because the post above was soooo informative (NOT)

Hey Dandar,

New South Wales Fire Brigades does participate in exchanges to Canada.
    You will have to shoot an email to
    info@fire.nsw.gov.au
    asking for requirements/info.

From what I have gathered from round the mess room table, it is organised at Head Office level and then advertised that there is a postion availiable. Applications are judged on merit and whoever tops the list gets to go. We have to have a subject/project to research and write up while on exchange.
    6 or 12 month exchanges are the norm

(Min 3 yrs service before you can apply....3 more months...waiting, waiting)

Hope this helped

(For the above poster..........that's nice that you have a high self esteem but at least we don't have brothers/sisters becoming LODD's due to the need to be in dick measuring contest every time the tones drop)
    Last edited by BlueMtnsFF; 09-18-2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: It's all in the numbers you jack *****

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMtnsFF View Post
    at least we don't have brothers/sisters becoming LODD's due to the need to be in dick measuring contest every time the tones drop
    You lost me somewhere in here... otherwise you were dead on.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Sorry bout that chiefkn

a post in haste with a touch of anger behind it.
    Get a little bit sick and tired of people thinking that because we adopt different strategies down under that it is somehow "soft".

I was attempting (poorly) to make the point that different techniques have been adopted due to the fact we run with smaller crews and utilize more European style extinguishment techniques....how this makes us soft??? ask lessthename

The fact is that if you compare LODD (errors on fire-grounds, MVA on route to jobs, training deaths.....not age/health related Cardiac arrests)
    and taking into account ratio of LODD to size of population and size of fire service.....the ratio and percentages are in our favor.

So to the poster who thinks we are soft......no one cares how big your balls are in the afterlife.....we should all be going home safe at the end of shift.

I mean ABSOLUTELY ZERO disrespect to ANY LODD with the above post

Stay safe brothers and sisters

Understood.

There are considerable differences in the fire services in various countries just as there are considerable differences in culture and things as simple as building construction. I think that comparing LODDs without considering things like civilian fire deaths per capita, prevention laws, building construction and a host of other factors is an exercise in futility.

Consider the U.S. Fire Problem:
    In 2009, there were 1,348,500 fires reported in the United States (down 7% from 2008). These fires caused 3,010 civilian deaths, 17,050 civilian injuries, and $12.5 billion in property damage.

•480,500 were structure fires (down 7% from 2008), causing 2,695 civilian deaths, 14,740civilian injuries, and $10.8 billion in property damage.
    •219,000 were vehicle fires (down 7% from 2008), causing 280 civilian fire deaths, 1,610 civilian fire injuries, and $1.4 billion in property damage.
    •649,000 were outside and other fires (down 7% from 2008), causing 35 civilian fire deaths, 700 civilian fire injuries, and $328 million in property damage.

The 2009 U.S. fire loss clock

•A fire department responded to a fire every 23 seconds.
    •One structure fire was reported every 66 seconds.
    •One home structure fire was reported every 87 seconds
    •One civilian fire injury was reported every 31 minutes.
    •One civilian fire death occurred every 2 hours and 55 minutes.
    •One outside fire was reported every 49 seconds.
    •One vehicle fire was reported every 146 seconds

Thanks
    Last edited by ChiefKN; 09-18-2010 at 10:18 PM.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Huh??..........

Quote Originally Posted by lessthename View Post
    nah... Australia's even worse than canada...soft in the head and no balls when it comes to doing the job and "getting it".

you might play well with a certain Canadian pinko badge bunny on here though, she gives her passionate little life story - mini dating bio on her location and has pasted the cavemen's logo as her buff profile pic. (cavemen are a engine and ladder on the upper west side of manhattan).

So, Just how would you happen to be the Expert in all of this??........ Inquiring Minds would like to know.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Sorry bout that chiefkn

Get a little bit sick and tired of people thinking that because we adopt different strategies down under that it is somehow "soft".

I was attempting (poorly) to make the point that different techniques have been adopted due to the fact we run with smaller crews and utilize more European style extinguishment techniques....how this makes us soft??? ask lessthename

The fact is that if you compare LODD (errors on fire-grounds, MVA on route to jobs, training deaths.....not age/health related Cardiac arrests)
    and taking into account ratio of LODD to size of population and size of fire service.....the ratio and percentages are in our favor.

So to the poster who thinks we are soft......no one cares how big your balls are in the afterlife.....we should all be going home safe at the end of shift.

I mean ABSOLUTELY ZERO disrespect to ANY LODD with the above post

Stay safe brothers and sisters
    Chief KN was a gentlemen and kind to you...

You must accept the fact that firemen die, firemen WILL die on this job. of course everyone wants to go home, however, if you think you can have it both ways, you don't get it.

You can try and soften it all you want, however, you're bringing up LODD's in the USA was a tried and true low blow and it's not the first time Europeans or others abroad have used it.

You do not operate the same as us and never will. Don't bother telling us we're unsafe or attempt to put it in a negative light, our work speaks for itself.

Read what he wrote and realize you are comparing apples to oranges.

You may go home safe, but do not take for granted the fact that in America we will in fact always have more LODDS and there is a reason...one for which we are proud. It has always been our way to put others before ourselves in the fire service. If at all possible we'll do it without hesitation. It's whats expected of you. There will always be the safety sallies these days that may preach the it's not your emergency business", heck, there's even some here that have admitted they would let a child burn up rather than take a risk. that's an extreme example, but unfortunately true.

We will always have more LODDS...many times when a Dept in the US goes in to make a search, it would not have even been a consideration or allowed in these euro style firefighting countries. 150 yrs has taught us something. We can and will go in when you less aggressive depts do not realize it is possible. We got that, not from book reading, but 150 yrs of on the job experience.

the job has risks, we can't have it both ways. that does not make us reckless, stupid, careless, ect...the many saved civilians each year will tell you how they feel about that.

Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post

You must accept the fact that firemen die, firemen WILL die on this job. of course everyone wants to go home, however, if you think you can have it both ways, you don't get it.

Accepted that fact long ago

You can try and soften it all you want, however, you're bringing up LODD's in the USA was a tried and true low blow and it's not the first time Europeans or others abroad have used it.

You do not operate the same as us and never will. Don't bother telling us we're unsafe or attempt to put it in a negative light, our work speaks for itself.

and just where did I say that the way you operate was unsafe or that your methods were better or worse than ours????

You may go home safe, but do not take for granted the fact that in America we will in fact always have more LODDS and there is a reason...one for which we are proud. It has always been our way to put others before ourselves in the fire service. If at all possible we'll do it without hesitation. It's whats expected of you. There will always be the safety sallies these days that may preach the it's not your emergency business", heck, there's even some here that have admitted they would let a child burn up rather than take a risk. that's an extreme example, but unfortunately true.

It's good that you have pride in your work and methods, as do I and all the people I work with, but if you read a little slower you will notice I was addressing the unneeded judgements/slagging made by another member NOT traditions/methods and who was better

We will always have more LODDS...many times when a Dept in the US goes in to make a search, it would not have even been a consideration or allowed in these euro style firefighting countries. 150 yrs has taught us something. We can and will go in when you less aggressive depts do not realize it is possible. We got that, not from book reading, but 150 yrs of on the job experience.

I like the fact that you immediately assume that I belong to a "less aggressive" department?! You don't know me from **** on a sidewalk and are putting me up against the wall for having an issue about someone who wanted to play "who can slag any non US department" game....Wow says alot about you and your 4 posts buddy BTW you seem to "know" alot about our extinguishment methods....so how long have you spent on exchange in one of these countries?? or experienced full and comprehensive CFBT training course? or is your "knowledge" from book learning too?
    This flows both ways, I don't claim to know anything about construction methods out my area which is why I don't comment on threads about techniques not used in my country...why would I?....except to ask a question to try and learn.

the job has risks, we can't have it both ways. that does not make us reckless, stupid, careless, ect...the many saved civilians each year will tell you how they feel about that.
    Agreed, never said it didn't

Forum Member

Default - Didn't go unnoticed by me

i think you're ignoring why he said all of that...

you brought up our lodds as a very cheap way to compare yourselves as safer, then tried to soften it with the "no disrespected intended & stay safe brothers" comment. well, it was disrespectful and no brother of mine says that.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by lessthename View Post

WTF??? Nice attack, troll.

You know absolutely NOTHING about me. For your information, I have permission from a E40L35 friend to use their memorial patch as my avatar, in order to honor those lost from his House. AND I defy you to find ANYONE on here who has been the recipient of "badge bunny" type behaviour.

Grow the phuck up.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Quote Originally Posted by tny1771 View Post
    i think you're ignoring why he said all of that...

you brought up our lodds as a very cheap way to compare yourselves as safer, then tried to soften it with the "no disrespected intended & stay safe brothers" comment. well, it was disrespectful and no brother of mine says that.
    While I agree the LODD comment was low, this thread got off topic thanks to the individual who made the second post. He felt the need to bash the Australian and Canadian fire services and attack a forum member for absolutely no reason. It's his fault this topic went down the sh***er.

lessthename. I too would love to know how you know, or at least think you know, so much about much about the Canadian and Australian fire services and how they operate.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Exclamation

Lessthename's response had absolutely NOTHING to do with the original post.
    A free pot-shot at a long-time poster with a good reputation is a good indication of just who and what Lessthename is.
    Another free potshot at someone who is a firefighter in a country other than his, again, for no apparent reason.

He stirred it up and some of you fell for it.

If that is the best response he can make to the original question and post, let him float in the gutter beneath our notice. He's happy there.

IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

After reading through his posts, I have come to the conclusion that Lessthename is nothing more than a crap crock stirring tickturd.... to quote Stan Lee from Marvel Comics...

e'nuff said!
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 09-22-2010 at 07:14 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

This guy can Kiss my Hockey Playing Eskimo Kissing Arse! Plain and Simple,

I don't preach Ignorance, my Friend and our Deputy Chief is an American in Canada, I respect his ideals and he does mine. We have our differences but like all departments to each their own.

His ideals show me that he's careless, reckless and ignorant.

Good luck to him, his department and his family for the risks he wishes to take

Banned

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post

Our fire service must change. I look to the west coast and abroad and see progressive steps being taken that are long overdue. If there is any hint of risk, then don't do it. The macho types here may not like it but that is the way it is. This is something I will never understand. YOU are the most important person onscene, is that selfish? Yes. but remember, it is not "your" emergency. If someone is dying and you fear any danger to yourself there is nothing wrong with being a man and saying I don't want to risk it. What good are you when two individuals are now dead instead one one?

We need a change of culture and unfortunately, it's going to take a very long time. There is a certain member here who has been berated for feeling much the same of what I believe. There is nothing wrong with going home at the end of your shift "alive" to be able to see your family. If an innocent civilian perishes, yes, it is a shame, however, what would your family rather see? You or them at the dinner table that night at 5PM? You have to ask yourself that. Think about that.

I know most here will disagree and that is unfortunate. Call me a basement saver, but I know I'll be here for the next basement

Quote Originally Posted by Crowscare_Devoe57 View Post
    I know most here will disagree and that is unfortunate. Call me a basement saver, but I know I'll be here for the next basement
    Wouldn't you have to be a firefighter to be involved in saving basements?

Posers have no place here.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowscare_Devoe57 View Post
    This is something I will never understand.
    Well, you've finally posted something we can all agree on...now, go away. And stay gone, poser.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

He's baaaaaaaaaack

Beerboy/cdevoe/trojan/hottrotter/scaredycrow's newest alias wasn't too hard to figure out ...must be running out of username ideas I guess
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

.............................. .............................. ..
    Last edited by Iessthename; 09-28-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Thread Information