Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default reflective triple trim

So I just bought this set of bunker gear off ebay and I want to put the 3m scotchlite triple trim reflective striping on it since it currently has the traditional single striping on it that I don't want. I emailed globe and they want over $350 to re-stripe it! I was wondering if you guys know where I can find a roll of this stuff cheap and just have my taylor sew it on. This is just training/riding gear so I dont really care about the correct nfpa sewing method. thanks guys!
    "The third reason we are fighting is because men like to fight. They always have and they always will. Some sophists and other crackpots deny that. They don't know what they're talking about. They are either goddamned fools or cowards, or both. Men like to fight, and if they don't they're not real men. "-Gen. George S. Patton

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

If it was me I would pay the 300 or what ever to get new trim put on. If your going to do any sort of live fire training with it for sure. On the other hand you can just suck it up and deal with the solid trim. I personally like lime/silver triple trim myself, but for training gear I could care less. Now the gear I use at work, that is a whole different story. I would say leave it alone, but if you want it that much then send it out to Globe and have them do it. Local tailors never work with bunker gear, let the pros handle it. BTW just curious, how old is this gear?
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

Forget going back to the manufacturer. They will always be more expensive. Most is labor, but the striping itself is not cheap.

I have had several coats completley re-striped by www.911clean.com If i recall, the last coat i had done cost me around $175.00. They did pants for $75.00. The work was top notch, Kevlar thread all around. I had a Morning Pride coat done by them and you cannot even tell the difference.

The only thing to keep in mind is Globe has a proprietary sewing method for attaching the trim using something called TrimTrax which is a reinforcement material. They are the only ones who offer it. While it is a nice feature, it is buy no means worth the price in my opinion.

Ding ding Ding. We have a winnah! The trim IS NOT cheap and if it isn't put on RIGHT you might as well give me the money because you're just throwing it away,even if you are just riding/training. I happen to disagree on the Trimtrax,I believe it EXTENDS the tread life in the trim. T.C.

Sewing on trim is not rocket science, however your Taylor won't be able to do it with his machines.

To do it right, the trim will need to be folded over at every start and termination point requiring the needle to go through (4) layers of trim and the turnout material.

It will require someone with an industrial type sewing machine. As long as you provide them with Nomex thread, they should be able to do it. Luckily we do all of this in house.

And, if you really cared about your gear, you would not have bought Globe!!!!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Sewing on trim is not rocket science, however your Taylor won't be able to do it with his machines.

To do it right, the trim will need to be folded over at every start and termination point requiring the needle to go through (4) layers of trim and the turnout material.

It will require someone with an industrial type sewing machine. As long as you provide them with Nomex thread, they should be able to do it. Luckily we do all of this in house.

And, if you really cared about your gear, you would not have bought Globe!!!!
    Using WHAT as criteria? Our Globe Millenia is outlasting any other brand we've tried. Most of the time EXPERIENCE still counts for something. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Using WHAT as criteria? Our Globe Millenia is outlasting any other brand we've tried. Most of the time EXPERIENCE still counts for something. T.C.
    I will have to agree. My career department issues Globe. While not my favorite, there is nothing wrong with it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Millenia is not a "Globe brand" product. It is a fabric made by Southern Mills, now Tencate, that is available to all turnout manufacturers. It will have the same properties no matter who stitches it together. The difference is in the cuts and the way it sewn together to make the overall garnment.

Granted it's personal preference, but I have worn and tested lots of sets of gear. Globe has consistently been the worst for comfort and I have never been a fan of high waisted ensembles.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 09-19-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Definitely not a fan of the Lion v-force garbage. It is the MOST uncomfortable I have worn in 24yrs. TOOOOOOO Bulky
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?Ē (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Millenia is not a "Globe brand" product. It is a fabric made by Southern Mills, now Tencate, that is available to all turnout manufacturers. It will have the same properties no matter who stitches it together. The difference is in the cuts and the way it sewn together to make the overall garnment.

Granted it's personal preference, but I have worn and tested lots of sets of gear. Globe has consistently been the worst for comfort and I have never been a fan of high waisted ensembles.
    Hmmn,I'm pretty familiar with MATERIALS. I was just telling you what we use in the gear. GLOBE consistantly lasts longer than any other brand and OUR personnel prefer it to any other. Dunno what to tell you outside of our results DON'T match yours. T.C.

Forum Member

I happen to disagree on the Trimtrax,I believe it EXTENDS the tread life in the trim. T.C.
    Not sure i follow what you mean?

I said it was a reinforcement for the trim, That is what it is. I see plenty of turnout gear trim coming off because the stiching holes in the trim have become like perforations and allowed the trim to pull off. The TrimTrax keeps that from happening much better then nothing at all. In fact, none of my Globe gear has ever had trim failure under normal wear and tear.

I was simply pointing out to the thread starter that if i was on a budget, spending an extra $150.00 for that feature having Globe do it might not be worth it. Seeing as most trim damage on a coat, such as when it gets ripped is a pretty simple and inexpensive fix. I had about 18" of trim on the bottom of a Morning Pride coat replaced for less then $30.00. And i have seen coats 10 years old that never had any trim issues. So save $150.00 and have the trim done by a repair shop without the TrimTrax and worry about any issues later.

What I'm saying is I LIKE the trimtrax. Short of spilling battery acid on it,I believe it protects the threads and makes the service life of the trim last longer. I agree with you on the other points. Did that clarify it? T.c.

thanks for all your responses, i chose the globe gear because it was cheap($175 for coat and pants), relatively new (manufactured in 1/04), and was in my size (fat-guy). The whole reason I want the triple stripe is because area depts have it (i.e. one really big one that starts with the letter C and ends in hicago) and i dont want to be the one sticking out like a soar thumb in the single stripe. Oh well, I guess I'll have to save my pennies and just send it in to be done right.

And on a side note, at both my depts we have globe extreme gear, and personally, while I do feel it is bulky, it is extremely comfortable and pretty darn rugged.
    "The third reason we are fighting is because men like to fight. They always have and they always will. Some sophists and other crackpots deny that. They don't know what they're talking about. They are either goddamned fools or cowards, or both. Men like to fight, and if they don't they're not real men. "-Gen. George S. Patton

Forum Member

I agree with WD6956 with using www.911clean.com. I have used them numerous times and their prices and service are some of the best in the area.

Also, if the trim is not sewn on correctly, especially if goes over a seam, there is a possibility of it opening up while doing a live burn or easily coming undone.

Good luck.

Forum Member

We've always had success with www.choicecleangear.com. They do repairs, reflective trim, and cleaning and all of that good stuff.

Thread Information