Thread: Second Jobs??

Forum Member

Default Second Jobs??

Im 18 and im seriously looking into being a firefighter. I am in college and planning on getting an associates then going into firefighting after proper training. I am really excited about the whole thing but have a question. The most important thing i want to be in my life is family but i would also like to have a nice income so my family could live comfortably. So if i were going to have a second job and still spend good quality time with them, what would be a good second job? any suggestions??

Forum Member

1. Mr. Mom till the kids are in school.

2. Depends on what talent you have

3. work from home job?

4. any medical traring, check the hospitals and ambulance services

5. once you get hired and a year under you then start looking what is out there or work for some of the other shift guys!!!!!!

Forum Member

. . . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by FireFarrier; 08-04-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccarlin52 View Post
    Im 18 and im seriously looking into being a firefighter. I am in college and planning on getting an associates then going into firefighting after proper training. I am really excited about the whole thing but have a question. The most important thing i want to be in my life is family but i would also like to have a nice income so my family could live comfortably. So if i were going to have a second job and still spend good quality time with them, what would be a good second job? any suggestions??

Get a job first and your feet on the ground, first.

Most departments don't allow second jobs for a year or so and then they have to be approved.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

thanks for all the help so far! I am pretty sure the first year or two i will only work for whatever fd i get into but after that is kinda what im looking for ideas on. basically what do firefighters that have second jobs do? I know a lot do handyman things but anything else?

Forum Member

Firefighters are just people. They have any kind of side job you can think of.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

well of course, i am just seeing what other firefighters do and seeing what second job might interest me when the time comes to pick one

Forum Member

I know firefighters who have law degrees, accounting, do construction, one volunteer member I used to ride with was County Executive.....

Basically anything and everything is possible......but as others say - get the main job under your belt first - then go from there.....

Forum Member

Why do you need a second job? A lot of departments pay well enough that you shouldn't need one. It pays a lot more to work an OT than a few hours on your days off doing something else.

If you are concerned about living a comfortable life, instead of trying to make more money, why don't you set a budget and live within you means? There is nothing better than the time you get to spend with your family and it goes by far to quick. Our job allows us to be the dad that gets to help out in the classroom and go on the field trips. I still have a little tug boat I made in kindergarten When my dad, Capt Bob came to class. Those are the memories you want to give you kids and yourself.

When I first got hired a very wise captain took me aside. He pointed to a guy and said, "You see that guy, he has a house, a boat, a nice car and works every day off to pay for it all”. He pointed to another guy and said, “You see that guy, he has a house, a boat, a nice car and he never works on his days off, he lives within his means”. That has always stuck with me.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    Last edited by FFighterRob; 09-21-2010 at 01:53 AM.

Forum Member

That is a very great quote. I guess I will just have to decide what i really want in life

Thread Information