1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    820

    Default Pierce arrow xt steering

    Background...

    Roughly 4 month old 2010 Pierce Arrow XT, tandem rear axle, 100' aluminum aerial, no pump, no tank, dry truck. Standard front axle (no TAK-4) and standard spring rear end.

    Problem...

    When turning to the right apparatus has essentially no power steering what-so-ever. Turning immediately to the left is no problem with normal power steering. Problem is intermitent and may do it twice within 10 minutes or not at all.


    We have heard this is everything from a standard Pierce "safety feature" to avoid roll-over accidents, to an air bubble in the steering assist cylinder to a steering gear sticking to something having to do with the load manager and/or front wheel lock feature.


    Anyone have, or had, similar experience with steering problems on an Arrow XT?
    Stay low and move it in.

    Be safe.


    Larry

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    I'm driving a 2007 ArrowXT every third day. Never had an issue like that, but I don't know if my apparatus is equipped with any of that anti-rollover stuff.

    I can tell you we have problems with the front axle (I-beam) making a loud "POP" when we make sharp turns. After being services, the popping went away for a while. I think maybe the mechanics just forgot to lube something.
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STATION2 View Post
    Background...

    Roughly 4 month old 2010 Pierce Arrow XT, tandem rear axle, 100' aluminum aerial, no pump, no tank, dry truck. Standard front axle (no TAK-4) and standard spring rear end.

    Problem...

    When turning to the right apparatus has essentially no power steering what-so-ever. Turning immediately to the left is no problem with normal power steering. Problem is intermitent and may do it twice within 10 minutes or not at all.


    We have heard this is everything from a standard Pierce "safety feature" to avoid roll-over accidents, to an air bubble in the steering assist cylinder to a steering gear sticking to something having to do with the load manager and/or front wheel lock feature.


    Anyone have, or had, similar experience with steering problems on an Arrow XT?
    90% sure you have a steering box issue. Had a foundation boom truck doing the same thing,bad steering box. DON'T LET IT GO,get it CHECKED. The steering box is NOT Pierce,they buy it somewhere. Any COMPETENT truck shop should be able to verify this in UNDER an hr provided they can replicate the condition.My money is on a bad box. T.C.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Commack, New York
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Could be the steering assist piston or the Steering Box.
    Or I know this sounds crazy because its new do the king pins have enough grease.
    Last edited by commack95; 09-21-2010 at 06:43 PM.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by commack95 View Post
    Could be the steering assist piston or the Steering Box.
    Or I know this sounds crazy because its new do the king pins have enough grease.
    Kingpin GENERALLY doesn't cause a one way steer problem.Iif the pins are binding it will steer hard either way. OP states it is NOT a Tak 4. T.C.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Commack, New York
    Posts
    59

    Default

    TC ive seen king pins and ball joints cause a one way steer problem.
    I know its not a TAK 4. The TAK 4 has ball joints

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by commack95 View Post
    TC ive seen king pins and ball joints cause a one way steer problem.
    I know its not a TAK 4. The TAK 4 has ball joints
    I've SEEN it (not often)but I've seen a lot more bad boxes. Either way, it's not something you want to let go,needs to be looked at. T.c.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Even if it is a Pierce, it should have a standard gearbox. I had this issue with our new Sutphens that ended being a problem that the gearbox manufacturer knew about, and took care of right away. They didn't initiate a recall, but knew of some problem boxes.

    First thing you need to do, is take it OOS. Then get the box checked out ASAP. I've got money saying it is the gearbox. Seen this event quite a few times, and they have always been the gear box.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Thanks guys. I too agree with the gear box prognosis.

    I appreciate the info and ideas. Either way the dealer is aware and supposedly ordering a new gear box.
    Stay low and move it in.

    Be safe.


    Larry

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    retiredtruckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Suburban Chicago
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Why waste your time yapping about in a forum? It's a 4 month old vehicle under warranty. Call Pierce and get it fixed.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39

    Default

    you could always remove the steering wheel and reinstall in a Crimson, Sutphen, Rosy, etc that would take tare of the issue.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retiredtruckman View Post
    Why waste your time yapping about in a forum? It's a 4 month old vehicle under warranty. Call Pierce and get it fixed.
    Who pee'd in your Wheaties?

    Obviously they did if it is already at the dealer. It appears he was getting plenty of excuses according to his first post and was just trying to sort it out with a little of the great knowledge that some of our posters have.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InIttowinit
    you could always remove the steering wheel and reinstall in a Crimson, Sutphen, Rosy, etc that would take tare of the issue.
    Bad call. We've already had 2 issues with our Sutphens, and today with a Spartan/Toyne. As well, Crimson builds bodies, not chassis.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Bad call. We've already had 2 issues with our Sutphens, and today with a Spartan/Toyne. As well, Crimson builds bodies, not chassis.

    FM1
    i agree curently, but arent they made up of pieces from Quality, Luverne, Spartan, ALF? i would say that qualifies them with chassis experience.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InIttowinit View Post
    i agree curently, but arent they made up of pieces from Quality, Luverne, Spartan, ALF? i would say that qualifies them with chassis experience.
    EVERY builder in the US is using components from Ross,saginaw,meritor,Dana,Spicer Cat,cummins,detroit allison,et al. Therefore any one is susceptible to issues. we all have our favorites and reasons why. BUT they ALL use the SAME parts minus a FEW proprieties. T.C.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    BUT they ALL use the SAME parts minus a FEW proprieties.
    [/thread]
    __________________
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Your Ideal Fleet
    By viperfire1 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM
  2. Hey GOP
    By MIKEYLIKESIT in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 188
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 04:34 AM
  3. Pierce Arrow XT
    By firemanwill28 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 07:47 PM
  4. 1980's Pierce Arrow Refurb
    By SWFD94 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 01:58 AM
  5. Pierce Arrow XT
    By hp1530 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 02:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register