Forum Member

Boston has a similar hiring system. Written only. First hired disabled vets, then vets, and those remaining on the list. One candidate got a 100% on the written and was 151 on the list. Since many are eliminated in the background he made the last class on the list.

Are these the odds you're looking for? Are you willing to go into the military for 5 extra points and still face stiff odds within this system? You have to test far and wide to gain your badge where the natives are friendly.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

NJ doesn't add 5 points for veterans, they get hired first. Your score is your score. A 70% passing veteran gets hired before a 90% non-vet. But like I have said, you have to serve in a combat zone, not just sit at a desk for 4 years.

NJ is more then written, there are 3 parts to it. Written, physical and video part.

What do you mean about natives and testing far and wide? He asked about NJ. In NJ, if you have a good record, live in a big city with residency requirements, are a veteran and pass the test, you have a great chance of getting hired. So, yes I would take those odds and I highly suggest anyone who is looking to become a firefighter in NJ to do the same thing.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Boston has a similar hiring system. Written only. First hired disabled vets, then vets, and those remaining on the list. One candidate got a 100% on the written and was 151 on the list. Since many are eliminated in the background he made the last class on the list.

Are these the odds you're looking for? Are you willing to go into the military for 5 extra points and still face stiff odds within this system? You have to test far and wide to gain your badge where the natives are friendly.

Also by this, someone making a 70 or 75 % has no business in being in the fire service.

This means if they are 70 - 75 % right all the time, then they are 25 - 30 % WRONG all the time. We don't need fireman that are 25 to 30 % wrong all the time.

If you can't make above a 95, then you aren't really applying youself!

That 70 % may be good for grade and high school, but not in the real world, where the rubber meets the road!

Forum Member

I don't disagree with you but it is what it is. I didn't make the rules but I will follow them and put myself in the best situation possible to get hired.

Forum Member

so are my chances better or worse being fresh out of high school ?

And I'm getting the vibe that majority of opportunities for firefighters are in the bigger cities. What cities would you guys suggest having applied and visited most of them ?

Forum Member

This thread was started about NJ, so I will continue talking about NJ because it is what I know best. The rural areas in Jersey don't have paid departments. Most suburban towns don't either. The majority of paid departments are in the cities or the densely populated towns surrounding them. The biggest cities have residency requirements. In NJ, you are scored on a civil service exam, so unless you are a veteran/disabled veteran you have no advantage being younger.

However, I know in other states a lot rides on your interview and personally, I would rather hire a guy in his mid-20s with a little more life experience then a kid right out of high school. But anytime you see a department is hiring, apply. Go out and try to meet firefighters. Get EMT certified. Get in shape/stay in shape. And test as often as you physically/financially can.

Thread Information