Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

I tested for 5 years with 16 different departments across five states and just got my first job offer last week with my top choice department. That application process alone lasted over 2 years. It's the greatest feeling in the world. Just put in the hard work and get as much experience as you can with the testing process and don't get discouraged.

Forum Member

what all departments did you apply to ?

Forum Member

Test in every possible state and department you can and you will eventually make it

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Think about other places than Jersey

Really think about broadening your choices. I lived in north Jersey and volunteered there since I was 16. Got my EMT-B as well and all that jazz. Took the civil service test twice (2nd time i actually tried and got an address in west ny for north hudson). I can 2nd all of deaconn's advice about veteran status and again its very picky about what you actually do/have done to get those points. When I took it in 2004(i think 2004 it was a long time ago) i believe, they gave you some points for volunteer experience but it was very minimal. NJ does not do oral boards. its a NJ DOP physical agility test, a ERGOmetric test, etc. The departments that do the chiefs test: maplewood, englewood,etc are all really who you know. The recent hires I have gotten to know are ones that already work in the town or DPW. I suggest out of state especially the DC, MD, VA area. Most are non residency and don't have pension/layoff issues like NJ.

Again like many have said. Worry about the salary after you land the job. You have thousands applying for a handful of positions.

Forum Member

The volunteer points are I believe 5 after 2-3 years and an extra point for every year after that up to 10 points.. However, usually have to be volunteering in the specific town/city to get points.. for example, you may get points in Nutley if you are volunteering there but will not get them in Newark.. Basically, if you really want the job, enlist or move to a big city

Forum Member

Boston has a similar hiring system. Written only. First hired disabled vets, then vets, and those remaining on the list. One candidate got a 100% on the written and was 151 on the list. Since many are eliminated in the background he made the last class on the list.

Are these the odds you're looking for? Are you willing to go into the military for 5 extra points and still face stiff odds within this system? You have to test far and wide to gain your badge where the natives are friendly.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

NJ doesn't add 5 points for veterans, they get hired first. Your score is your score. A 70% passing veteran gets hired before a 90% non-vet. But like I have said, you have to serve in a combat zone, not just sit at a desk for 4 years.

NJ is more then written, there are 3 parts to it. Written, physical and video part.

What do you mean about natives and testing far and wide? He asked about NJ. In NJ, if you have a good record, live in a big city with residency requirements, are a veteran and pass the test, you have a great chance of getting hired. So, yes I would take those odds and I highly suggest anyone who is looking to become a firefighter in NJ to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Boston has a similar hiring system. Written only. First hired disabled vets, then vets, and those remaining on the list. One candidate got a 100% on the written and was 151 on the list. Since many are eliminated in the background he made the last class on the list.

Are these the odds you're looking for? Are you willing to go into the military for 5 extra points and still face stiff odds within this system? You have to test far and wide to gain your badge where the natives are friendly.

Also by this, someone making a 70 or 75 % has no business in being in the fire service.

This means if they are 70 - 75 % right all the time, then they are 25 - 30 % WRONG all the time. We don't need fireman that are 25 to 30 % wrong all the time.

If you can't make above a 95, then you aren't really applying youself!

That 70 % may be good for grade and high school, but not in the real world, where the rubber meets the road!

Forum Member

I don't disagree with you but it is what it is. I didn't make the rules but I will follow them and put myself in the best situation possible to get hired.

Forum Member

so are my chances better or worse being fresh out of high school ?

And I'm getting the vibe that majority of opportunities for firefighters are in the bigger cities. What cities would you guys suggest having applied and visited most of them ?

Forum Member

This thread was started about NJ, so I will continue talking about NJ because it is what I know best. The rural areas in Jersey don't have paid departments. Most suburban towns don't either. The majority of paid departments are in the cities or the densely populated towns surrounding them. The biggest cities have residency requirements. In NJ, you are scored on a civil service exam, so unless you are a veteran/disabled veteran you have no advantage being younger.

However, I know in other states a lot rides on your interview and personally, I would rather hire a guy in his mid-20s with a little more life experience then a kid right out of high school. But anytime you see a department is hiring, apply. Go out and try to meet firefighters. Get EMT certified. Get in shape/stay in shape. And test as often as you physically/financially can.

Thread Information