Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with

Im eight-teen years old live in Nashville,tn i'm still in Highschool im a senior and going to graduate in august. I would like to know some information on how or what would be the best route to become a firefighter.I know i could join the volunteer fire department and get a hands on learning that way but i could also go through the academy. which would be a better route? Also would it be better for me to take a college fire science and work at the volunteer fire department? or would i be better on going to the academy?

Quote Originally Posted by tnvol51 View Post
    Im eight-teen years old live in Nashville,tn i'm still in Highschool im a senior and going to graduate in august. I would like to know some information on how or what would be the best route to become a firefighter.I know i could join the volunteer fire department and get a hands on learning that way but i could also go through the academy. which would be a better route? Also would it be better for me to take a college fire science and work at the volunteer fire department? or would i be better on going to the academy?
    Go to college and get your degree and education.

Once that is done, start applying for jobs everywhere. Get the practice in taking entrence exams. You might hit the one that will suit your fancy and get hired.

A lot of folks trying for the few jobs all over this country.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

This depends a lot on where you are testing. In Florida for example you have to have a paramedic certificate to test. In other places you only need an EMT and be 18 with a G.E.D.

Some places have programs for people still in high school, a kind of work experience program. If that isnít available I would try and find a place where you can become a volunteer usually that requires you be 18. Also there are colleges that have local departments that have volunteers; some colleges have their own volunteer departments.

By far the most important thing you can do to become a firefighter is to keep your nose clean and not get in trouble. If you read the forums here you will see a number of people asking for advice on getting hired after making mistakes. That is a very hard challenge to overcome as so many are testing that have clean records.

I know two people that got hired in the Las Vegas area at 19 and two that got hired with L.A. city at 19 and all four only had their EMT certs.

I would find out what the departments in the area you want to test in require to apply. I would then get whatever cert.s are required and start testing. As you test you can then continue with you other education, gain experience by volunteering, become a seasonal firefighter, work on an ambulance, in a hospital E.R, become a paramedic and that way you have the greatest chance of getting hired as soon as you can and start into you career. You can finish any schooling you want after you get hired and get good at the job. There are a lot of people on my department that have gone on to get their BAís and higher degrees.

There may be a period coming up where departments arenít hiring due to the economy and you can use that time to make yourself as qualified as possible. on the other hand they may only hire for a period and then not for a while allowing you to get in while you can. my department hired my class in 1988 and one in í89 and then no one was hired for 7 years. That was a long time to be the new guy, but I sure am glad I have the job. I had a friend that I graduated with that stayed in school to finish and than came out number one on our list. He never got a job.

Good Luck, Capt Rob

Forum Member

I'm still planning on graduating highschool im just looking into the future im not afraid of Manuel labor been doing it all my life working with dads construction company and also did some sub contracting landscaping work so i could always fall back on what i already know and have learned. I know many fire fighters in our county which could possibly help me out and also know the assistant chief very well. I'm just trying to find out what would be the best route going through college fire courses or doing to volunteering work which i would get all my certifications for emt paramedic.I know the economy is down but this is just something i would love to do back in may this year we had a flood you'll my have heard or not heard but in my area we got hit really bad houses completely underwater we had a state of an emergency for anyone that had a boat to bring in down to help get people out of there houses.I was there along side the fire department,volunteer fire department and police department helping people out of there flooded houses.i just love the feeling of helping people.

I'm still planning on graduating highschool im just looking into the future im not afraid of Manuel labor been doing it all my life working with dads construction company and also did some sub contracting landscaping work so i could always fall back on what i already know and have learned. I know many fire fighters in our county which could possibly help me out and also know the assistant chief very well. I'm just trying to find out what would be the best route going through college fire courses or doing to volunteering work which i would get all my certifications for emt paramedic.I know the economy is down but this is just something i would love to do back in may this year we had a flood you'll my have heard or not heard but in my area we got hit really bad houses completely underwater we had a state of an emergency for anyone that had a boat to bring in down to help get people out of there houses.I was there along side the fire department,volunteer fire department and police department helping people out of there flooded houses.i just love the feeling of helping people.

Go here and read http://www.fire-fighter-exam.com/ten...re-fighter.php

Wanting to help out your fellow citizens is commendable. Being out in a boat in high water trying to effect rescues should be left to those who have intensive training in that. Normally youngsters don't process this.

I am surprised the police allowed this.

Get you education behind you. If you want to go to college, apply for Eastern Kentucky University. http://www.eku.edu/

They have an excellent fire related program which if you desire to get a degree in fire science then this would be the school for you.

Also try applying to get on volunteer departments in Tennessee or in Kentucky, if you go to EKU. Get experience there and then start looking for large career department to apply for.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I may be young and not experienced in the field of firefighting and rescue but they did need help they were very under staffed due to high waters all over Nashville area even interstates were covered in some areas they needed all the help they could get. They were so under handed that they had bring in some units from Knoxville 3 1/2 hours away to help rescue people from there houses. What i'm wondering for you veterans is what is the best option if u take the fire science course would that give me better probability of getting on somewhere or would taking the exams from emt paramedic certification and work with a volunteer department there are a lot of volunteer units in the surrounding countries from me.

I may be young and not experienced in the field of firefighting and rescue but they did need help they were very under staffed due to high waters all over Nashville area even interstates were covered in some areas they needed all the help they could get. They were so under handed that they had bring in some units from Knoxville 3 1/2 hours away to help rescue people from there houses. What i'm wondering for you veterans is what is the best option if u take the fire science course would that give me better probability of getting on somewhere or would taking the exams from emt paramedic certification and work with a volunteer department there are a lot of volunteer units in the surrounding countries from me.

Did you read the part where the Cap said to go to college and then look for a fire department to get hired?????

HeyTNV...Just sent you a private message!

"The Axeman"

Forum Member

thank you all for the advice, just really trying to find best options right now because college admissions and everything else is due soon and just need get an idea on what would be best for thing to do to become a firefighter.

Forum Member

.............................. ....................
    Last edited by Iessthename; 09-28-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Thread Information