1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pinecroft, PA.
    Posts
    87

    Default Excess Funds Question

    Quick question concerning excess funds. I have excess funds and the project we are doing has been approved by my FEMA rep. So, my question is, do we need to follow the same procedure of getting a t least two bids?

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    6,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightin23rd View Post
    Quick question concerning excess funds. I have excess funds and the project we are doing has been approved by my FEMA rep. So, my question is, do we need to follow the same procedure of getting a t least two bids?
    You need to follow all local procurement policies that you have in place. In the absence of a local procurment policy you need at least a minimum fo 2 bids.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    142

    Default

    I have a question regarding how we can use excess funds. This is my first experience with excess funds. After obtaining competitive pricing much of our equipment came in well under our requested amounts. Currently we have excess funds totaling $8,523.00. I understand that we can use 1% of the award ($5,123.00) to expand the project without an amendment (is this 1% of the awarded amount or 1% of the total project?), which we intent to do. Part of the award was $2,100.00 for FF II training, which we no longer need. Before we were awarded we were able to get the entire department to this training level at no cost. After using the 1 % to expand the program, I am basically left with $1,300.00 in excess equipment funds and $2,100.00 in training funds. My question is, what can I do with the remaining $3,400.00? I understand I will need an amendment for whatever I do with the $3,400.00, but from what I read this money cannot be used towards the existing equipment project, but can be used for wellness /fitness activities or fire prevention. Am I understanding this correctly?

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    39

    Default

    This may not be a hard n fast rule, but when we discussed our excess funds with our AFG representative, we were told that some of the funds could not be considered excess. Like you, we found that a portion of the project didn't need to be funded because we found other avenues to complete the project.
    Per AFG, not completing a portion of the awarded project is not considered excess funding. Excess funding only comes in the way of good bidding/shopping practices.
    In our case, the money was "de-obligated" (AFGs term) and could not be used as excess funding.
    You may want to chat with your rep before moving forward.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Gregory, MI
    Posts
    136

    Default

    You need to call your AFG rep, but by the looks of your post (numbers are kinda weird to follow) a portion of your funds need to be de-obligated. Get your reps recommendations in the form of an e-mail. Do not risk having to pay back your entire award for mis-use of a very small portion.

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wtfd2940 View Post
    I have a question regarding how we can use excess funds. This is my first experience with excess funds. After obtaining competitive pricing much of our equipment came in well under our requested amounts. Currently we have excess funds totaling $8,523.00. I understand that we can use 1% of the award ($5,123.00) to expand the project without an amendment (is this 1% of the awarded amount or 1% of the total project?), which we intent to do. Part of the award was $2,100.00 for FF II training, which we no longer need. Before we were awarded we were able to get the entire department to this training level at no cost. After using the 1 % to expand the program, I am basically left with $1,300.00 in excess equipment funds and $2,100.00 in training funds. My question is, what can I do with the remaining $3,400.00? I understand I will need an amendment for whatever I do with the $3,400.00, but from what I read this money cannot be used towards the existing equipment project, but can be used for wellness /fitness activities or fire prevention. Am I understanding this correctly?

    From 2010 Grant Guidance pg 6

    Assistance to Firefighter Grants (AFG) are available to train firefighting personnel. Examples of training activities include, but are not limited to the following: Firefighter I and II certifications; First Responder EMS; driver/operator; fire officer; HAZMAT (hazardous materials) response; alternative fuel firefighting; incident command; supervision and safety; CBRNE awareness, performance, planning and management; or train-the-trainer courses in any of these areas.

    It's safe to assume none of use are ever fully trained. Noone that needs FF2 (or FF1/FF2) before end of your performance period? Train and inhouse FF to instruct FF2? Other training (Big Water, RIT, TIC, etc) request ammendment to allow you to spend the $2100 on that. You have rate asset, use it fully if you can. I think other training item will "rock the boat" less than any other option. And will benefit your FD. Get a plan that makes sense and request a change in direction.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    PG's words: greater of 1 percent of their award amount or $5,000

    Award amount is just what the feds give from my understanding of the term. Project amount being the whole enchilada of award amount plus local matching. So unless you got more than $500k out of them then $5000 is the limit for Excess Funds to be used however. Anything over that mark needs an amendment for FP&S use and there's no limit to how much can be used for FP&S.

    Nice thing about FP&S amendment is as long as they're in the right format they can't be denied. That's normally how we tell folks to pick up the computers and projectors and the other stuff that isn't competitive in the FP&S program. Or AFG for that matter.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    What format do the FP&S excess fund requests need to be in? I have about $800 that I would like to be able to purchase a laptop or projector with.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmagette View Post
    What format do the FP&S excess fund requests need to be in? I have about $800 that I would like to be able to purchase a laptop or projector with.
    Now in 2010, I discussed with our DHS representative if I could use my grant managment portion of the award for the purchase of a laptop computer as the need was early in the performance period. He said "No, but I could use excess funds to purchase the laptop."

    It seemed anytime that I asked for an ok on a purchase, it was alway ok, if done with excess funds.

    Frankly, I am considering using some excess funds for 'recruitment and retention and see if they give an OK for that.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    If you haven't used the $5k excess fund limit then you can just buy whatever with no amendments. In the case of a laptop since it can be used for training and other AFG stuff then it is easier to do as Excess Funds. If you already used your $5k in Excess Funds then it has to be done by amendment.

    The FP amendment is an FP narrative in 4000 characters or less minus the Need for Financial Assistance section. Small Intro, Target Audience & Need, Cost-Benefit/Uses, and then a listing of items to be purchased and their costs, then total request. If for some reason they need something else they'll email it right back and tell you want you need to change, or if you email it to the Field Reps they'll help too.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Scenario Questions
    By CaptBob in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 04:27 AM
  2. Multi Part Rescue-Pumper question
    By mohican in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Oral interview coming up
    By smokejmper05 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 03:12 AM
  4. Test-taking Tactics: Evaluating Answer Choices
    By dmfireschool in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2007, 04:02 PM
  5. Question about use of afg funds
    By Vulture in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register