Forum Member

truckmonkey42,

Thanks for the info it is much appreciated!

Forum Member

Thanks for the info truckmonkey42. It sounds like you really like the department, just out of curiousity is there any info about it you could give that wouldn't be found online? Everything I have looked at makes it sound like a dream job and will definitely be giving it a shot, just curious about the view of the dept from someone on the job.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by truckmonkey42 View Post
    Out-of-staters - There are always quite a few out-of-staters in AFD's cadet classes. Great fire department, great pay, nice equipment, good cost of living, etc. makes it easy to move here.
    Good to know information, thanks alot!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default B

Bump. BUmp BUmp

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Summary piece of application

Hi guys-I made a mistake on the "Summary" which was the last piece of the application. I am going for Fire Cadet and all I did was attached a copy of my Massachusetts EMT license. I think they needed more info. I tried to edit it but all you can seem to edit is the stuff you typed like work experience, education, etc. Any clue how to fix it or do I just leave it alone?

Forum Member

Default Atx app

Does anyone know ????
    I need to put work experience but not sure how far back to go on this application?
    Is the summary attached to the end of the the app or do we have to attach a sheet like the resume?

bbell1977
    I dont think you are able to go back and fix your "Summary" as I have applied for other positions on the atx web site and was not able to fix errors. I would try to contact HR. FireEmployment@ci.austin.tx.us

Thanks

Forum Member

j2ez- I just put pertinent employment information down and basically highlighted what was in the employment portion of the app.

At the end of the application before you can submit it, there will be a section to attach a file or cut and paste your summary.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Thanks nomex82

Does anyone have any tips or good study material for the written exam?
    Books? Guides? info?

Forum Member

bbel-

I believe in the directions it states that you can "delete" an attachment, and you can make your changes, then all u have to do is click "add new". I don't know if the wording is different but in general hope this helps.

Forum Member

Anyone get on the status of the application a message saying "qualified for Exam" ?

Forum Member

When I look at my application status, it does say "Qualified for written exam". I put in my application on the 1st

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys! Oh...and yes after I submitted the app it said qualified for exam.

Forum Member

Yup
    "Qualified for written exam"
    on mine also

MembersZone Subscriber

Yup

qualified
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Hey guys has anyone heard of the Don McNea Fire School?
    Is this worth going to?
    thinking about going anyone else going to this?
    http://www.fireprep.com/austin_firef...mination3.html

Forum Member

Looks like a big scam to me with being such a short notice. Even on the "digital download" for out-of-towners, there is only a few days to cram all study material. In no way can this really be truely effective. Just my .02! Good Luck

Forum Member

"A free candidate orientation guide will be available
    on this website by the middle of December.
    Please check back regularly.

There are many vendors who sell study guides and sample tests to applicants. Products from these vendors are not endorsed by the Austin Fire Department, the City of Austin, or our exam vendor, I/O solutions."

Off of AFD website!

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone been confirmed for the lateral test?

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Austin's Test

By Lateral, are you talking about the "Cadet Senior"? My Cadet Senior status still says "being reviewed."

I hope I qualify, I really want this position and 16 or so years should help me out. Plus, my IFSAC/ProBoard and CSFM Certs will hopefully help me.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by j2ez View Post
    Hey guys has anyone heard of the Don McNea Fire School?
    Is this worth going to?
    thinking about going anyone else going to this?
    http://www.fireprep.com/austin_firef...mination3.html
    I had A buddy that tested with austin back in 2008 and got in on his first try and he accredits his success to that program you can buy the books and stuff for like 70 bucks i believe I don't think he went to the class though. But, the test is different back in 08 i don't remember the test I took but literally every test that I have taken besides that one has been from I/O solutions which every time I have taken it its about the same just change on names and numbers but all the questions were almost the same concept and I have averaged about a 94 with all my scores w/o any military experience. I would say the more the merrier for studying but the I/O solutions gives a good study guide/ practice test from the website which has helped me with my testing. Hope that helps yall out and hope that yall do good on the test and I look forward too seeing yall all the test....

By the way does anyone know how many people have applied this time to the test I know last time I tested in 08 it was about 5-6000 just know the number has been going up due to the economy...

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anybody's Cadet Senior status say anything other than "Application submitted, being reviewed" or something like that? I called the Employment Office the other day, posted a copy of a bunch of certs, reviewed my attachments and feel that my application is complete but I can not get a complete answer. Not from the website or the Employment Office.

My concern is because I am testing from out of State and have to book a flight, lodging and get transportation for testing.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    Does anybody's Cadet Senior status say anything other than "Application submitted, being reviewed" or something like that? I called the Employment Office the other day, posted a copy of a bunch of certs, reviewed my attachments and feel that my application is complete but I can not get a complete answer. Not from the website or the Employment Office.

My concern is because I am testing from out of State and have to book a flight, lodging and get transportation for testing.
    My app. says the same thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    Does anybody's Cadet Senior status say anything other than "Application submitted, being reviewed" or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by dwoods87 View Post
    My app. says the same thing.
    Someone didn't read the question

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKiefer View Post
    i dont agree what so ever... just because you are in competition with someone or many people for that matter, doesn't mean you can't help them out. I would have to say this guy is taking initative in asking, wow he didnt say texas.... big deal just answer him or ask him if he means texas. There is a huge problem with dick measuring and people who think they are the sh*t and really are no better than anyone else on here. and capt old time if you read the forum again one person is agreeing with you, the rest are trying to help the kid out. ... guess what no one cares if you have something negative to say. just help people out. that is what the firemen's community is about.

and p.s. its not exception its accepted...
    I agree, this guy was a total ******, if you arent smart enough to figure out what austin is maybe you shouldnt be making decisions either, how hard is it for people to make that little leap from Austin...to TX. Quit nit picking and man up and answer the damn question, others figured it out, so can you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SGT.Smoke View Post
    Someone didn't read the question
    haha....looks like ill need to study up on reading comprehension a little bit

Thread Information