Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    in the Marines sgt hahn told me "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." you'll get there with a bit of practice and consistancy once you find what can speed you up. arrangement of the gear is first, kneeling after your pants are on helps too.
    Exactly! slow is smooth, smooth is fast. My first time donning PPE was 3:14 but i practiced and practiced. Now i got it down to 1:30. Any tips for me? I start out as: hood, bunker bottoms, jacket(then zip and button jacket and pants). Im throwing on my bottle at about 35 seconds, the hardest part is tucking the facemask straps in my nomex. But i am breathing air with gloves on and helmet snapped at around 1:34. . .

Forum Member

We actually did this along with some other basics at our last drill. It had been an unusually warm day and it was very warm in the firehouse that night. Having already worked up a sweat in my turnouts made it much harder to don my PPE quickly. My best was just under 2 minutes and the more I tried the slower I got
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Forum Member

I do 1. hood(already set up in right boot) 2. bunkers 3. mask 4. coat 5. scba 6. helmet an on air in 1:10 roughly give or take a few seconds when I started it was quite a few over 2.5 min but practice helps im still getting better time by time. its all fun just relax our state cert is 2min to fully don on air so good on that haha

Forum Member

1. Boots
    2. Pants
    3. Hood
    4. Coat
    5. Pack
    6. Face piece
    7. Helmet
    8. On air
    9. Gloves

50 seconds. Practice, practice practice. It also helps to have someone with you to see what you are doing that is slowing you down, and good, healthy competition is always a good thing.

Forum Member

A little talcum powder in your gloves helps.

Forum Member

I struggled a little bit in the beginning, from advice overload. Best thing to do is find a friend who can help you in person. I had a career guy with 20+ years show me a coulpe of little tricks and I shaved 30 seconds off my time.

This was all for fireschool anyway. Unless I am covering perdiem EMS shifts and a fire call comes in, I get in my bunker pants, respond to the station, finish getting dressed and hop on or operate one of the engines so the time to don the gear for a volly is usually not so critical. IMHO

One other thing that was huge. I got my gear well before fireschool. And before doing any interior work... that all being said, know your gear and know how it is supposed to fit in a real world working environment. I chose gear from the rack based on how it fit when I tried it on. I should have given it more of a test. Poor fitting gear will slow you down and potentialy hurt you.

Thread Information