Forum Member

Default Donning PPE quicker.

I recently donned my PPE for the first time and miserably failed at getting the 60 second mark.

Any tips to put it on faster or techniques?

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow...

Practice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Wow...

Practice.
    Iím well aware of the practice part, Iím asking because I manage to get stuck on certains. Iím asking this to see if thereís any different order I can put it on that would save time and make it easier.
    ďThe more you sweat in practice the less you bleed in battle"

Forum Member

Practice...

A lot!
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

1) Bunker pants
    2) hood, leave it up on your head
    3) Coat
    4) Gut belt
    5) SCBA
    6) Helmet
    7) Gloves

Repetition, repitition, repitition. Work on smoothness and getting it on right FIRST. Then work on getting faster.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Working faster does not always translate to being quick.

Everyone is different as to their own style. Watch others and find your groove. As Fyred suggests, learn to do it correct, then work on your speed.

Try laying your helmet and gloves out in front of you to the sides of your coat. This is quicker than pulling them out of your pockets.

I teach my guys to pull their hood over their head, then down around their neck. The hard part will be when you pull it back up to cover your mask. So placement is important. Some try to pull the bottom and miss the face opening altogether, so you must get used to this as well. Every second counts.

The quickest I have ever seen anyone put on PPE With SCBA and taking the first breath is 38 seconds; Skinny guy about 28 years old. His method was flawless and smooth (Fyred's word). He usually won the bunker-up contest whenever he competed, for years. His average was around 55 seconds but he could certainly turn it up when he chose.

Practice...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Working faster does not always translate to being quick.

Everyone is different as to their own style. Watch others and find your groove. As Fyred suggests, learn to do it correct, then work on your speed.

Try laying your helmet and gloves out in front of you to the sides of your coat. This is quicker than pulling them out of your pockets.

I teach my guys to pull their hood over their head, then down around their neck. The hard part will be when you pull it back up to cover your mask. So placement is important. Some try to pull the bottom and miss the face opening altogether, so you must get used to this as well. Every second counts.

The quickest I have ever seen anyone put on PPE With SCBA and taking the first breath is 38 seconds; Skinny guy about 28 years old. His method was flawless and smooth (Fyred's word). He usually won the bunker-up contest whenever he competed, for years. His average was around 55 seconds but he could certainly turn it up when he chose.

Practice...
    Thanks man this really helped.

PS. Have Gun Will Travel is one of my favorite shows.
    ďThe more you sweat in practice the less you bleed in battle"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonAre View Post
    Thanks man this really helped.

PS. Have Gun Will Travel is one of my favorite shows.
    Same here...

My dad's favorite as well. Richard Boone was family, so it was somewhat special. My dad began to call me Paladin and it stuck.

Forum Member

The more you do this, the better you will be. Kind of like riding a bicycle, once your learn that trait, every thing afterwards is nothing!

Same thing goes for be married as well!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Practice. Practice. Practice.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I know youtube has vids of guys donning their gear for time (must have been a slow day at the house). Maybe it would help to watch how they do it and then figure out your own technique. But after that practice, practice, practice like mentioned by those before me.

I remember doing this years ago for our academy and starting out at around 65 secs, and after 2 hrs of solid practicing with another recruit I had it down to a consistant 45.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Lay out all your gear the same way every time so you know automatically where everything is and don't have to look for it. Practice getting all the motions down smoothly and consistently until you start to build muscle memory and it becomes automatic. Finally, if you are going to be timed for qualification, borrow some gloves that are a size or two larger than your regular ones. I've seen quite a few guys nail most of the donning then get hung up for 15 or 20 seconds struggling to get their gloves on. It's a little bit of a cheat, I guess, but it helps.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Back In Black

Put crisco on your arms and legs.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Get a rythm down, even if it is slow, commit it to muscle memory. Then work on speed. You will get it down eventually. From when I started to know I have probably dropped 20 seconds. I could probably sing a song and don gear its gotten that rythmic

Forum Member

I'll try to cut some time out for you. My advice is RELAX when donning. Don't lolligag, but do relax. When you're trying to fiddle with everything at the speed of light, your motions are erratic, jerky, and hard to control. Erratic, jerky motions can make a task as simple as buckling your helmet chinstrap take what seems like ages. When you're relaxed you can execute each motion successfully the first time and not get yourself ****ed off when you can't seem to perform a simple movement.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Put crisco on your arms and legs.
    Silicone in the can works wonders or motor oil ...Seriously, repetition is it. Relax, repeat, repeat, repeat.....practice, practice, practice.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

MembersZone Subscriber

in the Marines sgt hahn told me "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." you'll get there with a bit of practice and consistancy once you find what can speed you up. arrangement of the gear is first, kneeling after your pants are on helps too.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Find a way that donning your gear works for you. (For me, it's Pants, hood, coat, gut belt, pack, mask, helmet, gloves.)

Practice it SLOW and THOROUGH. Do it right before you do it fast.

Once you get it right, EVERY TIME, work on picking up the pace. The more you do it right, the more natural it will come to you, and the faster you will be able to do it.

It really comes down to practice, practice, practice.

Forum Member

Or just sleep in your bunker gear.....

I'm kidding, of course, but I've known a couple guys who might just think this a viable option....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SRT936

Accused of doing that on a scene...

I only do it if I have time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SRT936 View Post

I'm kidding, of course, but I've known a couple guys who might just think this a viable option....

I slept with my rifle in boot camp, does that help?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I slept with my rifle in boot camp, does that help?
    I would expect nothing less.

When I went to basic back in the 80's, the drills made a game out of trying to steal your weapon. You'd end up wrapping the sling around your leg and cuddling it like a teddy bear.

Forum Member

just relax, i leave mine where i store it and the scba still on the truck, can be ready in a min.10 sec, but we never leave the station with scba on and never stow my bunkers spread out on the floor so i just practice as they would normaly be..
    have fun with it!

Forum Member

Before you worry about putting it on fast you should focus on putting it on properly.

It won't matter if you don it in 30 seconds if your mask doesn't seal, you burn your neck because your hood\collar isn't on properly or if your helmet falls off because the chin strap isn't secure.

Some types of gear are just easier to put on than others. My last pair of boots were some sort of combo structure\wildland things that weren't good for either and were a bitch to put on and even harder to get off. On the other hand our new turnout pants have no zipper, just velcro and a belt clip, very fast.
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

what worked for me was to start with your hood pre set in one of your boots with the face opening set up for when you put it on. your face is right there. then with your bunker pants. There has been one word that has been the truth in the whole topic. Practaice. Even though I do like the Oil, crisco, and silicon spray Ideas. I will deffinatly have to try that with the rookies next summer.

Thread Information