Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default Does anybody build a good fire apparatus anymore?

Seriously, at one time or another it seems as if every major and minor, and even regional, builders of fire apparatus have been labeled as junk by people on here. Seagrave, Pierce, E-One, Ferrara, KME, HME, Smeal, American LaFrance, Rosenbauer, Crimson, and many more I can't remember off the top of my head have ALL been named as builders of junk. Look in my mind it is clear that in order to remain in business you have to build something that SOMEBODY is buying. If you consistently build junk why would people keep buying it?

I have long held there are a few reasons why people are dissatisfied with a piece of fire apparatus:

1) The apparatus committee wrote a crappy spec and the apparatus manufacturer built what you said you wanted.

2) The apparatus committee wrote a maginificent spec and the manufacturer didn't follow it and the FD accepted the rig anyways.

3) The apparatrus committee asked a manufacturer to do something that they don't normally do or has never been done before and it turns out poorly. Yet once again it is what the buyer wanted, sometimes despite the manufacturer advising against it. Some will not even bid on this kind of project.

4) You write a brand specific spec and someone else beats them on the price and local conditions say if it meets the spec low bid has to be purchased. In this case even if the rig is fine, if it is not the brand you wanted most often you will go out of your way to point out any deficiencies, real or imagined.

To add a little gasoline to the Fire I have never seen anyone, EVER, on FH.com say a Mack Fire Apparatus was junk. And that is correct. I will put my volly FD's 36 year old Mack up against any new 1250 pumper and we will hang with them all day. 20 rpms over new to pass pump test. My bet is most of the electronic wizardy of today will be junk long before 34 years hits!

Your opinions please...
    Last edited by FyredUp; 09-24-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: corrected age of our Mack CF
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Seriously, at one time or another it seems as if every major and minor, and even regional, builders of fire apparatus have been labeled as junk by people on here. Seagrave, Pierce, E-One, Ferrara, KME, HME, Smeal, American LaFrance, Rosenbauer, Crimson, and many more I can't remember off the top of my head have ALL been named as builders of junk. Look in my mind it is clear that in order to remain in business you have to build something that SOMEBODY is buying. If you consistently build junk why would people keep buying it?

I have long held there are a few reasons why people are dissatisfied with a piece of fire apparatus:

1) The apparatus committee wrote a crappy spec and the apparatus manufacturer built what you said you wanted.

2) The apparatus committee wrote a maginificent spec and the manufacturer didn't follow it and the FD accepted the rig anyways.

3) The apparatrus committee asked a manufacturer to do something that they don't normally do or has never been done before and it turns out poorly. Yet once again it is what the buyer wanted, sometimes despite the manufacturer advising against it. Some will not even bid on this kind of project.

4) You write a brand specific spec and someone else beats them on the price and local conditions say if it meets the spec low bid has to be purchased. In this case even if the rig is fine, if it is not the brand you wanted most often you will go out of your way to point out any deficiencies, real or imagined.

To add a little gasoline to the Fire I have never seen anyone, EVER, on FH.com say a Mack Fire Apparatus was junk. And that is correct. I will put my volly FD's 34 year old Mack up against any new 1250 pumper and we will hang with them all day. 20 rpms over new to pass pump test. My bet is most of the electronic wizardy of today will be junk long before 34 years hits!

Your opinions please...
    What you describe is not limited to Fire Apparatus. I just did research on purchasing a .22LR pistol for target shooting. Guess what, same type opinions that brand X is great, brand Y is junk. (on Forums) Next guy says just the opposite.

Maybe it is life in the world of 2010...

Forum Member

ALL of our macks rotted out, in particular the CF's. The recurring problem areas were the front wheelwells and jump seat floors. The b's were a bit better. The R had some rocker panel, floor, and door bottom rot after 10 yrs, the hood was fine (fiberglass). The steel bodies rotted out, but whos didnt. Most of them over the years had alot or wiring rework.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefDog View Post
    What you describe is not limited to Fire Apparatus. I just did research on purchasing a .22LR pistol for target shooting. Guess what, same type opinions that brand X is great, brand Y is junk. (on Forums) Next guy says just the opposite.

Maybe it is life in the world of 2010...
    I have a Beretta Neos. It is a fine shooting pistol and comes with an accessory rail for mounting red dots or a scope.

I am sure there are other good .22 target pistols out there. This was was relatively inexpensive, and seems quite accurate right out of the box.

(How was that for an endorsement of a product without ripping anyone else's?)
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I have a Beretta Neos. It is a fine shooting pistol and comes with an accessory rail for mounting red dots or a scope.

I am sure there are other good .22 target pistols out there. This was was relatively inexpensive, and seems quite accurate right out of the box.

(How was that for an endorsement of a product without ripping anyone else's?)
    Good job. I looked at a bunch of them. I did not see a Neos, dealers did not have one near me to pickup and hold. I did not make the 40 mile trip south to see one....

Ended up with a Browning. Still have to adjust the sights but seem pretty good. It was one of the ones that had few slams on forums compared to others.... Hopefully it will work out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffp20 View Post
    ALL of our macks rotted out, in particular the CF's. The recurring problem areas were the front wheelwells and jump seat floors. The b's were a bit better. The R had some rocker panel, floor, and door bottom rot after 10 yrs, the hood was fine (fiberglass). The steel bodies rotted out, but whos didnt. Most of them over the years had alot or wiring rework.
    We had those issues too with our CF, but it was well over 25 years old at the time. We had them fixed and things seem to be fine.

I guess my answer is look at a lot of newer vehicles on the road. They can't even keep paint on them, let alone stop them from rusting.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Add to the list,Rushed deadlines,penalty clauses,trying to do too much production with too few people. I heartily agree that a properly written spec along with a informed builder and proper communication with the dept reps along with a GOOD supporting dealer will give you the best long term solutions. A long time favorer of older iron,I tolerate the new technology but you CANNOT nurse them along like you could the old ones. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffp20 View Post
    Beat me to it. Back in the day I traveled the nation and saw Macks get delivered with rust already beginning to appear.

Some salespeople went around telling all kinds of people they could just tag on to a NY order. Then they delivered trucks that were nothing like NY. May have had something to do with their reputation sinking in the midwest.

Forum Member

It is a lot like car manufacturers (Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, etc.) Everyone has their favorite, and everyone has a horror story to tell, even if it is third hand knowledge (my cousin's sister-in-law's brother's friend had a **** blow an engine at 2000 miles!, etc.)

Forum Member

Fyred I agree and want to add one more thing to the mix............people NOT allowing for "minor" issues that arise after delivery. These rigs are TOTALLY customized (usually), and sometimes stuff needs adjusting or tweaking .......and people give the thing a bad wrap just for that. For the record we have a 2009 KME and have great dealer support ..... (www.warrenfireequip.com) and it had 2 minor issues from the get go that got resolved appropriately. We had a Ford chassis issue that people wanted to blame on Road Rescue............again the dealer worked tirelessly to get it fixed and subsequently did so. So some people just gotta understand.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

1,2,3,4 pretty much have meet my opinions as well.

Have seen examples of all.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Smile

When I frist entered the fire service my dept had a 76 Mack MB AUSOM engine Detroit diesel with a Waterous 1250 pump. A RUST BUCKET but ran fronty line and pumped to capasity until the day we retired it. Drove a Mack CF for a short time also Great Rig. I have also driven E-One. HME and Pierce. Now being a MACK NUT they were the best(I WISH MACK WOULD BRING THEM BACK) The E-ONE not the best, HME better, International same level and the Pierce were next to the MACK'S. I have enjoyed driveing them all. Like one member said "Some engines/trucks are better than others". I just sent my first spec. to the Chief yes I am scared as to what we might get, low bid, but I will do my best to make it the best rig I can. and take pride in what I and the other commity members have done!!! We have one of the most prestigious and greatest jobs in the world!! Do I like to have to take low bid on a manufacture/ dealer we may have not delt with ever*&^%$#@ no! But we do the best job that we can!!

As far as guns I have my grandfathers WW II Army Colt Model 1911 in excelent shape. I have never fired it but I will one day. I am looking for a Browning BDA .32

Thanks Engine341

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by engine341 View Post
    When I frist entered the fire service my dept had a 76 Mack MB AUSOM engine Detroit diesel with a Waterous 1250 pump. A RUST BUCKET but ran fronty line and pumped to capasity until the day we retired it. Drove a Mack CF for a short time also Great Rig. I have also driven E-One. HME and Pierce. Now being a MACK NUT they were the best(I WISH MACK WOULD BRING THEM BACK) The E-ONE not the best, HME better, International same level and the Pierce were next to the MACK'S. I have enjoyed driveing them all. Like one member said "Some engines/trucks are better than others". I just sent my first spec. to the Chief yes I am scared as to what we might get, low bid, but I will do my best to make it the best rig I can. and take pride in what I and the other commity members have done!!! We have one of the most prestigious and greatest jobs in the world!! Do I like to have to take low bid on a manufacture/ dealer we may have not delt with ever*&^%$#@ no! But we do the best job that we can!!

As far as guns I have my grandfathers WW II Army Colt Model 1911 in excelent shape. I have never fired it but I will one day. I am looking for a Browning BDA .32

Thanks Engine341
    Try www.gunbroker.com for your Browning BDA .32, they seem to have a good selection of guns there for sale. If you pay attention you can sometimes get very good deals there.
    Maybe it's not too late

Savage / Hyneman 08'

To add a little gasoline to the Fire I have never seen anyone, EVER, on FH.com say a Mack Fire Apparatus was junk. And that is correct. I will put my volly FD's 36 year old Mack up against any new 1250 pumper and we will hang with them all day. 20 rpms over new to pass pump test. My bet is most of the electronic wizardy of today will be junk long before 34 years hits!

Your opinions please...
    CHURCH! Preaching to the choir here. I hope to own my very own CF to restore and love one day.

They can even bury me in it.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Forum Member

I will state that the quality of fire apparatus now compared to the quality of apparatus at the time i started 30 years ago has decreased.

That being said, look at cars ,and even homes. The workmanship and durability has gone downhill there as well. I will agree that many of the reasons departments seem to have the issues today is based on all the reasons Fryed have outlined. In addition, I would like to add the fact that the fire service is seemingly trying to make a single truck fufill to many roles. This attempt at over-multi-tasking has put a strain on the truck, both in terms of weight, complexity and electronics that makes it almost impossible for a truck to perform up to the department's expectations.

Asd far as quality trucks, the Stuphens at my last department seem to perform quite well. I would also say that the Ferreras my current department operates have been fairly relaiable and seem to hold up fairly well.

As far as Mack, they also were a very durable, basic chassis that could take a ton of abuse. My last department bought an Mack Aerialscope from a neighboring small-city (40K) department after 12 years of use as the first line and only aerial. They bought it from FDNY as surplus. After we used it for 10 years, we replaced it and sold it to a small fairly rural department. They have had it for 8 years and it's still on the road.

By the way, it did have it's share of bondo around the cab when we did sell it.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-25-2010 at 07:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess my answer is look at a lot of newer vehicles on the road. They can't even keep paint on them, let alone stop them from rusting.
    Blame the envirowackos/EPA for many of the paint issues today. Killin the ozone doncha know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Blame the envirowackos/EPA for many of the paint issues today. Killin the ozone doncha know.
    I am not buying that excuse. When some car manufacturers were having no problems at all keeping paint on their vehicles others were having it fall off in sheets. My 1992 Dakota for example. I believe it is **** poor surface preperation and inferior primer and paint application. If it was/is as you say, the EPA and environmenatalists, ALL vehicles would have their paint peeling not just a select few from a select few manufacturers.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    CHURCH! Preaching to the choir here. I hope to own my very own CF to restore and love one day.

They can even bury me in it.
    Brother, HALLELUJAH!! I too have the dream of owning my very own CF someday. To lovingly restore and paint in my favorite paint scheme of black over red. To replace the blasphemy of a light bar with the matching twin gumballs that God had intentended to adorn the roof of a Mack CF.

But being buried in it? Nah, my oldest would dig me up and kill me again if i did that!!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Does anyone build good anything anymore???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    Does anyone build good anything anymore???
    As stated earlier, I think most manufacturers make a "good" truck... but with every truck being a one-off custom, there are bound to be issues. If you look at each brand of truck, there are Fire Departments that continually buy them. Dealer support is a BIG factor in that. Each and every fire truck sold will have a problem at some point... some more than others... but how the dealer handles it is what will keep people coming back for more or running the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by engine341
    Do I like to have to take low bid on a manufacture/ dealer we may have not delt with ever*&^%$#@ no!
    I think excluding a brand or dealer because you've never dealt with them is a mistake. If you get a bid from Joe's Fire Apparatus, the dealer is close by, and the price is within reason, you should go to their plant and ask for some references. By passing on someone just because you've never dealt with them or because your neighboring department doesn't have one, you could very well miss out on a great truck backed up by some great people. Going by brand alone will get you nowhere... do your homework, and consider what options will be best.
    TruckCommittee.com

Forum Member

But being buried in it? Nah, my oldest would dig me up and kill me again if i did that!!
    You bet your fat white arse I would.

Thread Information