Forum Member

Default Amazing Audio of Finance Meting in Oak Brook, IL "Fire a fireman a month"

"Fire the firemen and their wives will leave them and their dogs will die. Fire one a month at noon on the first", said at a finance meeting on September 22, 2010

The audio was up on the Oak Brook website but has been taken down, now it can be found at: http://statter911.com/

The first voice you hear is village president John Craig.

Forum Member

The "citizens advisory committee" is delusional.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

The worst part is that no one spoke out against him. To me, this is slander. It's a public statement that the firefighters would take criminally negligent action against him in the event of an emergency.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Hopefully the Local President has already contacted the International. I think a pre-emotive strike is in order.

Those damn fireman that had the foresight to put safeguards in place to protect their futures.

Hopefully, it doesn't come to this boards recommendations, but if so, I hope they get the same thing Uniontown, PA got.......would serve this board right.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Hopefully the Local President has already contacted the International. I think a pre-emotive strike is in order.

Those damn fireman that had the foresight to put safeguards in place to protect their futures.

Hopefully, it doesn't come to this boards recommendations, but if so, I hope they get the same thing Uniontown, PA got.......would serve this board right.
    Not an IAFF local

Teamsters

http://tiny.cc/ddmrl

Forum Member

What i find totally disgusting about this audio recording is that the public officials not only are dumping on their own fire department tasked with protecting their lives and property. but they are also advocating putting their own citizens and workers out on the streets to show the other people a lesson. That to me is totally disrespectful and disgusting. If you want to downsize your force because you truely cannot afford it thats fine and dandy you have to do what has to be done, but to fire people, and advocate making them homeless because you dont like the chief or his policies or whatever is not the right thing to do. Maybe the fire department should start a petition to get these so called "leaders" thrown out and put them on the streets. i wonder how well they would enjoy a little turn of the tables.

Forum Member

Oak Brook Firefighters are now affiliated as IAFF Local 4646.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

It makes you upset when you listen to that recording. It makes you sick when you look at how much money is floating around in a village of 9,000 people.

These are a bunch of wealthy people who pay no property taxes on their huge mansions and are talking about firefighters as if they are migrant workers.

The rest is taken from the Oak Brook website.

Oak Brook is a premier community, with spacious, prestigious residential areas and a beautiful commercial district. Oak Brook also serves as the headquarters for many national and international companies and organizations, including McDonald's Corporation, Ace Hardware, Federal Signal Corporation, Blistex and Lions Clubs International.

Property owners pay no property tax to the Village, as Village services are funded primarily by sales tax receipts.

Median Family Income: $169,718
    Median Home Value: $635,400

EAV Year 2008 - $1,797,096,011 (compared to the Illinois village I work in with twice the population $333,178,000)

2008 budget $46.8 million

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    Oak Brook Firefighters are now affiliated as IAFF Local 4646.
    Thanks - correction made.

Mike

Forum Member

And the per capita benefit of firing a 100,000 dollar a year firefighter?

Wow. What savings.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Actually, the only thing surprising to me is the fact that they allowed themselves to be recorded spouting such idiotic drivel.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    Thanks - correction made.

Mike
    I actually forgot they went IAFF myself. They were Teamster for a long time. I will say this. The police and firefighter pension funds in Illinois are funded directly through the taxpayers as part of our property taxes. For any Illinois municipality to claim it is the pension funds fault that the city is in financial trouble is a blatant lie. Our state union association, the Associated Firefighters of Illinois and our president Pat Devaney have been traveling the state and writing op ed pieces explaining that the firefighter pension funds are not the problem. One of the most important pieces of legislation that was passed in Illinois in my opinion was the one that changed the way money was delivered to the firefighters pension funds. Instead of the funds going the city and the city holding on "borrowing" and playing with the money, it now goes directly from the county to the pension fund. There are pension funds in trouble because the local government didnt pay what they were supposed to into the fund.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

there is going to be a strong firefighter presence at the next village board meeting. i have spoken with many of the guys attending and have seen how fired up they are. i, personally, have gone to a few of these meetings. i know that the comments made were absolutely ridiculous, and borderline evil. we need to stand our ground and help our brothers in oak brook with a strong showing, however.... we need to make sure that we dont justify their "street people" statement with inappropriate behaviors. lets stand our ground together and make our points with numbers, support, and integrity. every village, town, and city in the area is crying broke and weve all heard comments like this before. at least with the publicity that these comments have received, oak brook, and its residents have an opportunity and a leg to stand on to fight for their ffs

Forum Member

MAYBE fire a FEW USELESS Council members. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there feedback from the community about the "citizens advisory committee's" comments?

Forum Member

Maywood. The word I got was that the union does not want a big turnout at this time at the village board meeting.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

mikeylikesit.. thanks. i will pass that on to those i've spoken to. the firemen the surrounding towns are pretty fired up about this whole incident, and rightfully so. however, in the respect of the affected department, i'll definetely communicate that to the guys i know that are planning to attend. thanks for the update

Forum Member

With the Budget that Oak Brook, IL has, if this Board can't figure out how to pay everyone they should surrender their City Charter and let the town go back to the County.

Oh, and the Village President email address is:

jcraig@oak-brook.org

Just saying.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 09-27-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Here's a few more articles that include the good attorney from Oak Brook evidently talking about libraians and other "street people."

From

« Something I Am Partly Responsible ForBlog Pledge (Or: Memo To Myself To Update This Site More Than Once A Century) »Constantine Xinos: An Introduction
    October 8, 2009 Now that the Tories essentially have the next UK election sewn up, I find myself struck by an odd feeling: that I have more contempt for the Conservatives who label themselves as ‘compassionate’ and ‘progressive’ than I do for the old-school Friedmanite Thatcher-worshippers.

Hey, at least the latter camp are open and honest about their politics of privilege and their naked contempt for the poor. Remember, kids: Cameron may spend his time yakking about wind turbines … but he’s still a champagne-guzzling, dead-eyed public schoolboy with a £30 million private fortune who would lay off your entire family in a heartbeat if it would up his shareholder points.

Ahem. Aaaanyway.

The reason I mention this is because I’ve just heard about Constantine Xinos – an American chap who, were he located in Britain, would fit into that second category nicely. The President of the Home-Owners’ Association in a gated community in the Chicago suburb of Oak Brook, Xinos hates the lesser-fortunate so much (“I don’t want to live next to poor people, I don’t want poor people in my town”) that he’s lobbying to have his local library closed. Why? Because, like, poor people go there! Y’know, those insufferable scumbags who – get this – can’t even afford books so they have to borrow them!

I’m not going to go into great detail here, but this really is an astonishing case. Interviews with Xinos read like the dialogue of the bad guy in Erin Brockovich. Some choice snippets? Okay, then:

“Those of you with tears in their eyes talking about the library, put your money where your mouth is. I don’t care that you guys miss the librarian, and she was nice, and she helped you find books.”

“This is the real world and the lesson, you folks who brought your kids here [to the library], is if you want something, pay for it.”

And my favourite: “I understand that my philosophy is conservative.” Gee. You reckon?

Read more about this jaw-dropping madness at the Daily Herald.

Seems he is good at talking out of both sides of his mouth:

Telling her mother that she wanted to come to the aid of a library under attack, 11-year-old Sydney Sabbagha stood at the podium before the Oak Brook village board.

"I used to go to the library knowing there were people there to help me find a book. Now there is no one to help me," Sydney said solemnly. "It will never be the same without the people you fired."

Sydney nestled back into her seat, but that didn't stop 69-year-old criminal attorney Constantine "Connie" Xinos from boldly putting her in her place.

"Those who come up here with tears in their eyes talking about the library, put your money where your mouth is," Xinos shot back. He told Sydney and others who spoke against the layoffs of the three full-time staffers (including the head librarian and children's librarian) and two part-timers to stop "whining" and raise the money themselves.

"I don't care that you guys miss the librarian, and she was nice, and she helped you find books," Xinos told them.

"Don't cry crocodile tears about people who are making $100,000 a year wiping tables and putting the books back on the shelves," Xinos smirked, apparently referencing the fired head librarian, who has advanced degrees and made $98,676 a year. He said Oak Brook had to "stop indulging people in their hobbies" and "their little, personal, private wants."

Sydney was upset and "her little friend was in tears" after Xinos spoke at the meeting last week, says mom Hope Sabbagha.

"I wanted that kid to lose sleep that night," a grinning Xinos says Wednesday, as he invites me for a nearly two-hour interview in his Mercedes-Benz in the gated Oak Brook community where he lives. "This is the real world and the lesson, you folks who brought your kids here, is if you want something, pay for it."

Xinos, who unsuccessfully sued to stop the building of the new library, which opened in 2002, sits on one side of the issue. He lost his election bid to be a village board member, but has been president of his home association since 1983 and worked to elect board members who agree with him about the library.

On the other side sits Barbara Benezra, the longtime president of the Friends of the Oak Brook Public Library, who considers the library "my third child."

"This is the heart of the village," Benezra says as she tours the library and surrounding gardens under a sign sporting a Cicero quotation reading, "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

"We don't have a grocery store," Benezra says. "We have this."

While Benezra acknowledges the need for some budget cuts at the library, given the recession, she says, "There's always been a faction of this town that's been anti-library."

The librarians, who stereotypically remain hushed for this story, obviously feel a bit threatened. They have turned to the Teamsters for some labor help.

Teamster librarians in Oak Brook? Mercy.

"We get good contracts for all kinds of professionals," says Brian Rainville, executive director of Teamsters Joint Council 25, which oversees 100,000 Chicago-area Teamsters, from pharmacists to zoo keepers.

"They have given us petitions," Village Manager David Niemeyer says of the Teamsters. "Assuming they do become certified, we'll have to negotiate with them."

Other village employees are unionized and the village works out contracts with them.

"Everybody thinks Oak Brook is rich and has all kinds of resources, but we don't," Niemeyer says. "Oak Brook has very low taxes and that's a point of pride in this town."

Begun as a volunteer effort in 1961 with donated books, the library occupied a small space in village hall until it moved into an old school two years later. It stayed there until the village built the new library.

The library is a village department funded by the general fund, same as the police, fire department and public works. It has no taxing power. Its budget comes from the village, and much of that money comes from sales tax, as there is no property tax. And sales at the mall and other businesses are down.

"We're probably going through what a lot of towns are going through," Niemeyer says of the budget cuts. "None of these things are easy."

It's not complicated for Xinos.

"You may like the library, but when you call 9-1-1, you want a policeman or a fireman before someone to tell you where the books are in the library," says the man who has talked of privatizing, outsourcing or even closing the library.

"I understand that my philosophy is conservative," Xinos says, adding that government just needs to catch bad guys, put out fires, fix the streets and make sure buildings are sturdy.

He campaigned, successfully, against a plan to bring subsidized housing for seniors into town by declaring, "I don't want to live next to poor people. I don't want poor people in my town."

A poor kid who grew up in Berwyn and worked in his dad's cafeteria in Chicago, Xinos went to law school and served in the Marines. Xinos says he speaks for Oak Brook's view of the Teamsters when he says, "Nobody here likes those kind of people."

Xinos, who says he never had children in part because he wasn't sure he'd be able to support them, sprinkles the F-word throughout his conversations. He dismisses a recent library event involving dogs with a blunt three-word rant in which he bookends swear words around the word "that."

That attitude doesn't represent the silent majority in Oak Brook, who support the library, Benezra says.

"There's been no discussion on the village board about closing the library," Niemeyer notes. "There is great pride in our library. We have an outstanding library."

What the library will look like in the 2010 budget depends on Xinos, Benezra, Teamsters, librarians, the village board and the people of Oak Brook.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 09-27-2010 at 08:28 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

duplicate post
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 09-27-2010 at 08:28 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

Attorneys:

Xinos & Xinos LTD(312) 263-6167
    205 W Randolph St
    Chicago, IL 60606

Just saying.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

Connie Xinos is a scuttacephalo.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

For you dirty greedy firemen
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I don't understand why these people are against property taxes. That's how the rest of the world works. I pay sales taxes and a decent amount in property taxes, yet my local county almost the same population and about 30 times the land area as this community is still heavily underfunded. Our combined county budget which includes Fire/EMS, Sheriff's Department, Road and Bridges, Health Department, etc. is less than what this community is spending on just police and fire. We have more than one major Transcontinental Rail-lines and a Federal Interstate running through the county, so the rest of the country's stupid people travel through my backyard and cause more than their fair share of accidents. I just don't like rich people who think that because they want something to happen it's going to get done. There are days I wish I could force them to spend a night on an Ambulance in the city, going to all those stabbings, shootings, and overdoses I get to run from time to time. I think that if it didn't change the way they feel about civil servants and the role they play in our society, at least it would make them really, really uncomfortable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KanFireman View Post
    I don't understand why these people are against property taxes. That's how the rest of the world works. I pay sales taxes and a decent amount in property taxes, yet my local county almost the same population and about 30 times the land area as this community is still heavily underfunded. Our combined county budget which includes Fire/EMS, Sheriff's Department, Road and Bridges, Health Department, etc. is less than what this community is spending on just police and fire. We have more than one major Transcontinental Rail-lines and a Federal Interstate running through the county, so the rest of the country's stupid people travel through my backyard and cause more than their fair share of accidents. I just don't like rich people who think that because they want something to happen it's going to get done. There are days I wish I could force them to spend a night on an Ambulance in the city, going to all those stabbings, shootings, and overdoses I get to run from time to time. I think that if it didn't change the way they feel about civil servants and the role they play in our society, at least it would make them really, really uncomfortable.
    These PARTICULAR A***oles are AGAINST anything involving MONEY that isn't THEIR income. Hope they know how to cook. T.C.

Thread Information