Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default FF I & II or EMT-B

What do you all think would make an applicant more competitive- FF I & II or and EMT-B cert? I originally thought the FF certs would be regarded higher as it would prove that I am comfortable to actually be "in the heat" of a live fire, but now I'm not too sure. Between hiring periods I am trying to decide to attend either a fire academy, or EMT school. Opinions?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say get your medic license first cause that will open you up to a whole lot more jobs that firefighter certs with no medic license. A lot of place that put you threw an academy don't require you to have anything. Sometimes however it is to your advantage to have some ems license either basic or medic. Hope this helps

Forum Member

Agreed, becoming a medic is what will get you hired, it is the one gold card that you can get. Most Dept's actually have separate lists for Medics and you will get pushed through the process much more quickly than the standard applicants. Additionally, you will see a large pay raise for having your medic. Of course, this is all assuming you are willing to perform medic duties and be on a medic unit in most places for the majority of the time. FF1, 2, and EMT-B will do almost nothing for you in terms of getting hired. The one exception is if you are interested in applying to Federal Fire Depts. In that case those certs are required before application since most Federal sites do not have an academy. Good Luck

It is all dependant on where you are applying for a job.

Some Cities and or Counties require you to have these certifications to make application. Some states and cities/counties will not recognize other states certifications.

Some do not require you have anything, as they will train you if and when you get hired to their standards and will certify you as well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    It is all dependant on where you are applying for a job.

Some Cities and or Counties require you to have these certifications to make application. Some states and cities/counties will not recognize other states certifications.

Some do not require you have anything, as they will train you if and when you get hired to their standards and will certify you as well.
    Capt is 100% correct..

I will say.. depending on where you live.. if you get your medic you will have a 100% chance of getting a job.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice everyone!

In my area neither FF certs nor EMT certs are required. I'm just doing everything in my power to better myself for next years hiring (assuming I don't make the cut this year).

But the departments around here do provide you with the FF I & II certs during the academy they put you through. After reading the replies it would seem the Medic certs would be the best to work on, in that on scene everyone will have their FF certs but you never know when you may suddenly need a Medic.

Thread Information