Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Nervous about going over...

My deployment date is quickly coming up, and I was just wondering, is it normal to be a bit nervous about going over there? I was in the Navy, and right after September 11th, I was deployed with the first deploying amphibious ready groups for Operation Enduring Freedom. I was also deployed again for the "Shock and Awe" campaign in 2003, and both times I was nervous when we left. But this time I am going to be spending a whole year over there. When I was in the Navy, I only had my boots in the sand when we were off-loading the Marines and their equipment, and that was only like 9 or 10 days total, and that wasn't even where anything thing was happening. So I was just wondering, is it normal to be a bit nervous?

And please try not to make fun of me all that much. Thanks.

Forum Member

definatley man...

i've never been as a contractor, but i was nervous as hell about my deployment to afghanistan as a Marine. i went as an IA which is a lot like being a contractor... flying half way around the world to a new unit and to work with people you dont know or know how well they are trained. its a nerve wracking experience... good luck over there!

Forum Member

Dude, if you weren't nervous about going over then you should be worried. Look here, you have every right to be nervous. 1) You're leaving everything in the states for a year to go somewhere that you know nothing about. 2) You have to do it with people that have different backgrounds, and attitudes about the job. 3) IT'S A 'WARZONE'...

Best thing I can tell you about it is stay nervous man, I can assure you everyone that has gone over, civilian or military was nervous. Whether it was not to know what to expect, or they could bite the bullet over there. You have a better chance of killing yourself by electrocution over there than you do with hostile forces. Just keep your head down, nose clean, and ears open. Take it for what it is, and expect the worse, that way you can't get dissapointed. It's 1,2, or how many years out of the rest of your life. Be careful how you talk to people, because you never know who is going to be your superior one day.

Go over there have fun, make some money, try to learn from it if you can.

Forum Member

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it!

Thread Information