Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Mandatory 2 Weeks Unpaid Leave for Feds...

I posted this in DoDFire, but incase some of you don't frequent over there....

Don'tcha just love politics "trying to save the government money"? Good luck getting past the Unions with this one.

Two Week Furlough for Federal Employees Proposed by Congressman
    September 20, 2010

Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO) last week introduced a bill that would subject federal civilian employees to a two week furlough in 2011 and reduce salaries of members of Congress by 10 percent saving taxpayers more than $5.5 billion.

The bill, H.R. 6134, is a one year measure to reduce federal spending. according to Coffman, and combats the deficit spending in Washington.

Under the bill, if passed, federal civilian employees are subject to a non-consecutive two week furlough in 2011, and it will correspondingly reduce appropriations for salaries and expenses for offices of the legislative branch, and provide a 10 percent reduction in pay for members of Congress. An exception is provided for national security or reasons relating to public health or safety, including law enforcement.

"The federal government continues to grow, and continues to rack up debt. I would like to make the U.S. government as cost conscious as the states. My legislation is a start," Coffman stated.

Link to the bill: http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.111hr6134

As of right now, he is the only one sponsoring this bill and has no co-sponsors.

BTW, I called his office and was told that it would affect Fed FFers unless there was an emergency recall during your unpaid leave status. Hrm... care to discuss?

Forum Member

Yea which two weeks is the president and confess furloughed?????

Just think of all the money saved in that two weeks

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Your Thoughts...

I've gotta admit, I like your thinking here.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

That was two week furlough for congress and the president

Forum Member

Rep. Mike Coffman should first furlough himself then the rest of Congress and the president can follow suit and I don't mean the two weeks Mr. Coffman recommended more like a permanent basis would save us taxpapers millions and alot less stress.

See that "R" next to Major Coffman's name(Yes, he is Marine Reserve Major), that R means Republican and as such nothing he introduced this Congress will pass. This his way od expressing an opinion that even those of us who get our pay check from the US Treasury should feel what this economy and the nation's fiscal policies are causing for much of the private sector. This won't pass in the 111th Congress, and even if the GOP takes over, won't happen in the 112th with Obama in the White House either.
    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post

Under the bill, if passed, federal civilian employees are subject to a non-consecutive two week furlough in 2011, and it will correspondingly reduce appropriations for salaries and expenses for offices of the legislative branch, and provide a 10 percent reduction in pay for members of Congress.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 10-15-2010 at 03:07 PM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Firefighters are considered essential personnel. I really do not see firefighters being furloughed on a military installation. From what I have been told, when a CFR station on a military installation is closed, the runway gets closed, too. Cannot takeoff or land aircraft on a runway without CFR being available.

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    when a CFR station on a military installation is closed, the runway gets closed, too. Cannot takeoff or land aircraft on a runway without CFR being available.
    Correct.

1. How will they furlough essential personnel?

2. How will it get past any base with Union personnel with a contract which would require I & I bargaining??? (hint: it wouldn't!!!) This is certainly a change in working conditions, which absolutely triggers the I & I bargaining requirement.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Correct.

1. How will they furlough essential personnel?

2. How will it get past any base with Union personnel with a contract which would require I & I bargaining??? (hint: it wouldn't!!!) This is certainly a change in working conditions, which absolutely triggers the I & I bargaining requirement.
    seriously, the Unions are going to strongarm and there is not one thing they could do...

Forum Member

Default Installation Fire Protection

Even if you work in a non-CFR fire station, it is doubtful that non-CFR station would be closed.

Anytime a fire occurs on a military installation, somebody is held responsible for starting and/or contributing to the fire. Whether it is the smoker that disposed of the hot cigarette, the welder that did not conduct the proper "hot permit" procedures, the fire inspector that missed a code violation during their inspection, etc., somebody is held responsible.

If someone cuts fire protection and a fire occurs, then that someone that authorized that cut, could be held responsible for not having enough personnel to respond to a fire.

Around 20 years ago, a military installation here had a Colonel that thought it was a bright idea to save money, by shutting down a radar. The radar had a, Army/Air Force/NASA mission.

When the radar was shut off, the military lost contact with the space shuttle. To say it politely, that Colonel was relieved of his command.

Thread Information