Thread: Questions

Forum Member

Default Questions

So my situation is ive just got FF1 and EMT and am working on FF2 right now and my step dad just told me he is friends with the assistant fire marschall for my state and has set up a meet and greet dinner and I am trying to think of questions that I should ask. So basically im looking for any ideas that you guys might have thanks for your time.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Jshoop14 View Post
    So my situation is ive just got FF1 and EMT and am working on FF2 right now and my step dad just told me he is friends with the assistant fire marschall for my state and has set up a meet and greet dinner and I am trying to think of questions that I should ask. So basically im looking for any ideas that you guys might have thanks for your time.
    What does this mean? Daddy going to get you hired somewhere?

I know the other guys who are trying to get hired by this department will be very happy to know this!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    What does this mean? Daddy going to get you hired somewhere?

I know the other guys who are trying to get hired by this department will be very happy to know this!
    Gotta say I agree with the Old Timer!! He's right!! (I wouldn't tell too many people about this if I were you!!) That said: it's an excellent networking opportunity that you're fortunate to have, so you need to make the most of it!!

First of all, in most agencies, the State Fire Marshal "usually" oversees fire prevention and inspection duties, writes and/or enforces state fire codes and ordinances, may or may not be involved with arson investigation duties and provides for overall public safety in public assemblies and business occupancies. Some are badged, "safety" personnel; some are civilian. Just depends. I'm not clear how he might help you get on a department, unless it's a state department. However, you might try a little due diligence and doing a little homework before you meet him. Find out who he is, and what his job description is. How long has he worked in his capacity. Does he just have Fire Marshal duties or does he also respond to emergency calls too. A simple internet search or a phone call to the department secretary can net you this information. (Just FYI: Most people appreciate it if you've done a little legwork and know something about their work before you go asking them a bunch of stupid azz questions. It gives the appearance that you're engaged with the process and actually give a s**t!)

Once you know a little about the individual you're talking to, then it'll be easier to talk with him about getting hired or other things. I would dress as though you're going to an oral interview! (yeah...you heard what I said!!) I don't care if it's your daddy's friend or not! If this guy is with the department you're going to apply to, you better start acting the part right now. Don't expect any favors!! You want to be known as someone who expects NO special treatment!! Be sharp!! Be articulate!! Be on time!! Remember, you're representing your daddy too!!

You can break the ice with him by talking with him about his position as a Fire Marshal and how he arrived in that position; then break into some well thought out, lucid questions about what would make you the best candidate that you can be for a firefighter job. Again...I'm not sure how a State Fire Marshal can help you get a job on a local fire department. BUT, that's just me. Perhaps this is a state fire agency or something. Good luck and let me know how it goes!! I might need your daddy to hook me up too!!

"The Axeman"

Thread Information