Forum Member

Default Stupid boot question

I have a pair of the Globe 10" boots (http://globefiresuits.com/footgear/p...peed-lace.aspx). I really wish they had designed it with a built-in side zipper instead of a lace-in zipper. I've never had lace-in zippers before, and to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm getting it right.

The specific problem I'm having is this. Once I lace the zipper to the boot, all the way up, what do I do with the lace ends that are left hanging out? If I don't do anything with them, the lacing starts to get loose. The only thing I've been doing so far is just tying them in a regular shoe knot after putting the boots on and zipping them up. But having to tie the laces kind of defeats the purpose of having a zipper in the first place, doesn't it?

So I'm just looking for ideas...If you've ever had lace-in zippers, how do you lace in the zippers and what do you do with the ends of the laces?

Thanks!

Forum Member

You tie them and keep them tied.

Use the zipper only. Eventually you will need to tighten the laces. Did they give you a lace hook? When you tighten the laces that will give you more slack at the top which you should then retie.

Forum Member

I don't understand "tie them and keep them tied". If I keep them tied, they're not going to open up when I unzip them.

I also don't believe I've ever heard of a "lace hook".

Forum Member

Zip up your boots.

Tie the laces.

Now, use only the zipper to take them off and on. Eventually they will break in and they won't be so tight. You don't want them to untie. You want the boot to conform to the use of the zipper and not the laces.

You will need to periodically retighten the laces. This is where the lace hook comes in:

http://www.amazon.com/SkateBuys-Meta.../dp/B0007DGCX4
    Last edited by SWFLFFPM; 10-15-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Forum Member

I just tied off my laces at the top of the zipper, tied a couple square knots in them, and cut the excess. When I zip them up there is just a short stub at the top of the boot I tuck in while zipping up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SWFLFFPM View Post
    Zip up your boots.

Tie the laces.

Now, use only the zipper to take them off and on. Eventually they will break in and they won't be so tight. You don't want them to untie. You want the boot to conform to the use of the zipper and not the laces.

You will need to periodically retighten the laces. This is where the lace hook comes in:

http://www.amazon.com/SkateBuys-Meta.../dp/B0007DGCX4
    I would have sworn I replied to this earlier.

SWFLFFPM, I wonder if you understood that I'm talking about a boot with lace-in zippers? What you're saying makes perfect sense for a side-zip boot.

I tried what you said. I actually tried it before my previous reply. Being lace-in zippers, if I tie them, opening the zipper does nothing to open up the top of the boot. Whether the zipper is opened or not, the lace itself, if still tied, is keeping the the two halves of the boot together. I tried it, and was not able to pull my foot out. I suspect that if I pulled on the boot really hard, it probably would have come off, but with severe strain on the laces. Also, the boot would be very difficult and quite uncomfortable to put on while the laces were still tied.

Again, what you're describing is perfect for side-zip boots, and in fact is what I've always done with all the side-zip boots I've ever owned. Except for the lace hook, from time to time (every few weeks or so) I would just untie my side-zip boots, tighten the laces up, and retie.

I wish these Globe boots were side-zip, too.

So now I have another idea: How about taking the laces out entirely, and securing the lace-in zipper to the boot with cable ties (aka zip ties, ironically enough)? I'm talking about the plastic strips with a slot at one end and small lateral "teeth" all down the length of the strip, so that when you insert the other end through the slot and pull tight, the "teeth" grip inside the slot and essentially a permanent loop is formed.

I think this would certainly secure the lace-in zipper to the boot. My concern is whether or not the small plastic zip ties are strong enough for this application. Laces can stretch a bit; plastic not nearly as much, it would rather break. But I don't know how much stretch I actually need.

Well, zip ties are cheap, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try!

Forum Member

I have these boots: http://www.redwingshoes.com/productd...px?prodid=1969

They are front zipper boots.

We use zipper inserts similar to these: http://www.usapolicesupply.com/zippe...tml?&sku=13283

You do not have the laces tie across the boot. When laced properly, you'll have two ends on each side that you'll tie to each other on the same side and not across the boot.

If you DM me your email I'll scan the instructions with pictures to you.

I have seen someone use the zipties.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SWFLFFPM View Post
    You do not have the laces tie across the boot. When laced properly, you'll have two ends on each side that you'll tie to each other on the same side and not across the boot.
    Bingo. When you finally have it, and then you break them in for a few weeks, tie a good tight square knot, cut off the excess, and then burn the ends with a match.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

JJR512,

There are several ways to do this. Zip ties, single, and double laced. Here is apicture of single lacing. You just tie a stopper knot at the top of the zipper.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TVFR9923 View Post
    JJR512,

There are several ways to do this. Zip ties, single, and double laced. Here is apicture of single lacing. You just tie a stopper knot at the top of the zipper.

There you are kid, a simple photo is really worth a 1000 words.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    There you are kid, a simple photo is really worth a 1000 words.
    At 35 years old, it's been a long time since anyone's called me "kid".

Thread Information