Forum Member

Default Contract opportunities from outside America?

Hi everyone

I'm an ex-firefighter (left in beginning of this year) from the Army over in New Zealand. I'm wondering what would be the chances of being able to pick up a contract in Iraq, Afghan, etc.

Not sure if you have to be a US citizen or other specifics.

I'm not sure how I would match the quals over to the equavilient of yours too. I spent 10 years in there doing it and became an Officer. Have quals in vegetation, urban fire rescue ops, airport and industrial emergency response as well as a few other quals (BA maintainer and EMT - we call it PHEC, Pre-Hospital Emergency Care).

I'll keep it fairly short. Any ideas or steerage would be great.

Thanks

Forum Member

I believe the contracts in Iraq and Afghanistan you have to be a U.S. citizen for the fire services. Sallyport Global will be taking over the Iraq contract but they have other contracts around the world. You could check with them. sallyportglobal.com The other contractors are KBR, ITT and Dyncorp. Hope this helps. Good luck

Forum Member

Hey thanks for that.

I'll give it a look.

Cheers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDthirteen View Post
    Hey thanks for that.

I'll give it a look.

Cheers

DynCorp has FN firefighters....... LG4 Firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi everyone

I'm an ex-firefighter (left in beginning of this year) from the Army over in New Zealand. I'm wondering what would be the chances of being able to pick up a contract in Iraq, Afghan, etc.

Not sure if you have to be a US citizen or other specifics.

I'm not sure how I would match the quals over to the equavilient of yours too. I spent 10 years in there doing it and became an Officer. Have quals in vegetation, urban fire rescue ops, airport and industrial emergency response as well as a few other quals (BA maintainer and EMT - we call it PHEC, Pre-Hospital Emergency Care).

I'll keep it fairly short. Any ideas or steerage would be great.

Thanks
    As INUrDue already said DynCorp does hire firefighters from outside the US. BUT, the catch is that you have to have IFSAC, DOD, or PRO-Board certs to apply. I don't they pay as much for firefighters outside the US either.
    "FBHF"

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What do Cops and Firefighters have in common? They BOTH WANT To be FIREFIGHTERS!"

"I love the Police Officers have firefighters to look up to..."

MembersZone Subscriber

Kiwis are able to work at McMurdo Station in Antarctica for Raytheon New Zealand. Granted its not sandbox pay but its still farily cool. There were two members of the NewZealand Fire Service working down here last year and one of them returned for this year. Others in the past as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bassviking View Post
    Kiwis are able to work at McMurdo Station in Antarctica for Raytheon New Zealand. Granted its not sandbox pay but its still farily cool. There were two members of the NewZealand Fire Service working down here last year and one of them returned for this year. Others in the past as well.
    Yeah one of the guys is my mate - have looked at this option too. Just trying to think a bit broader and maybe not limit myself. What is the pay like? I know its reduced but is it more than normal? Still gotta earn a bit more to compensate for the time away.

Thanks

Forum Member

Hey does anyone know how exactly someone can go about getting recognition of prior learning for IFSAC or Pro-Board?

Like I've said before I have various formal qualifications that are recognised within New Zealand and just wondering if it is even possible to cross-credit these to IFSAC, etc. If it is possible, who would be the best person to touch base with and what would the process be?

Forum Member

Hey does anyone know how exactly someone can go about getting recognition of prior learning for IFSAC or Pro-Board?

Like I've said before I have various formal qualifications that are recognised within New Zealand and just wondering if it is even possible to cross-credit these to IFSAC, etc. If it is possible, who would be the best person to touch base with and what would the process be?
    Im in Ohio. I contacted the Ohio State Fire Academy and since my certs for FF2, Inspector and Hazmat were prior to 2002 I was grandfathered into IFSAC. Had to fill out one form and send them $25. Got my IFSAC certs in a week.

Thread Information