Forum Member

Default Fatal flaw in my 2010 AFG?

checked my 2010 AFG OPS today. Realized that under # of firefighters trained to FF1 I accidentally put 1. Not 44 out of 50 like I noted in my narative. All my other info was correct and almost identical to the info provided for my 2009 AFG OPS that I was awarded in like the 3rd round. How much of an effect do you think it had? Is it worth calling the help desk for any reason?

Forum Member

They cannot change your application after submission.

Forum Member

It doesn't ask you how many in the data entry portion, it asks the percentage. So if you entered 1, you have 1% certified.

As CCC said, nothing can be changed anyway, however I will say that I have seen awards with 0; although it is certainly possible that the number is factored into your overall score.

Forum Member

IMHO that should not affect your chances. Some peer reviewers would catch that as an entry error particurally if your narrative stated the facts concerning the number of FFI trained firefighters you have. I wouldn't sweat it.

Forum Member

I knew they couldn't change it. And yeah I just noticed its a percentage not the number of firefighters. Just wasn't sure if there was anything worth trying. I'd hate to lose out on the grant over 1 typo.

Forum Member

I have made errors before. Although it cannot be changed and AFG states it will not, you can follow up with an email to explain the mistake. but it should be done right away and before peer.

Frankly, I am not sure if what you described will have that much effect.

Forum Member

I would probably agree with Jam here. Depending upon what your request was for, I would think that error would not have a large bearing on your results.

Forum Member

I asked for $9000 for a TIC. we've never had one before. hoped this was gonna be a no brainer grant. now i'm just a little concerned.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsfighting17 View Post
    I asked for $9000 for a TIC. we've never had one before. hoped this was gonna be a no brainer grant. now i'm just a little concerned.
    If oyur concern was the price you asked for, $9K is what they have been awarding for a TIC so you are alright.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    If oyur concern was the price you asked for, $9K is what they have been awarding for a TIC so you are alright.
    After quiet some time reading the posts of all "you smart people" I knew the $9k was a good number. Im just concerned that the stupid mistake of stating 1% trained to ff1 vs our actual 90% trained was going to throw me out of the running.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had what I thought was a fatal error on our 2010 app (somehow it got checked we were a federal FD), yet we still have an 1199a update, if that makes you feel better.

Forum Member

I think there was some kind of a glitch in their system, as I also had a check beside the federal fire department question, and have spoke with a few others who have said the same thing. I always do a final read through just before I submit to ensure everything has transferred over without a glitch, and was about 100% positive it was not there when I did the read through, but when I looked back it was was checked.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Leeds--i think that is still a "survey" question, not a "points" question, if that's right it doesn't affect scoring at all. The smart people will correct me if i'm wrong on that.

Shoot--just checked our apps and my departments haven't shown up as "federal". With some of our best writers getting the federal click it makes me concerned!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    I think there was some kind of a glitch in their system, as I also had a check beside the federal fire department question, and have spoke with a few others who have said the same thing. I always do a final read through just before I submit to ensure everything has transferred over without a glitch, and was about 100% positive it was not there when I did the read through, but when I looked back it was was checked.
    That makes me feel better. I do the same pre-submission check and would swear everything was in order.

Forum Member

see thats part of the reason a called it a stupid mistake. i looked the app over before sumbition and i remember having to do the calculation to figure out the %. maybe it was right and is glitched

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsfighting17 View Post
    I knew they couldn't change it. And yeah I just noticed its a percentage not the number of firefighters. Just wasn't sure if there was anything worth trying. I'd hate to lose out on the grant over 1 typo.
    Yea.... those of us in NJ are aware of that problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/ny.../26njrace.html
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I made a similar mistake with mine, I had paid instead of volunteer. A very helpful AFG agent contacted me and told me no worries. I was really relieved. Also, did you ask for some funds for training on the TIC? If so the 1% may help. I am not sure. I try not to worry about the scoring once it is submitted because there is nothing that can be done at that point as I abruptly found out.

Also it is best to use IE when filling out the app, as I found out and have been told by the same AFG agent.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    I made a similar mistake with mine, I had paid instead of volunteer. A very helpful AFG agent contacted me and told me no worries. I was really relieved.
    It's certainly possible that this had no affect on your overall score, but when they start down the list, remember that there are funding limits for career and volunteer agencies. It is certainly possible that this would affect your chance at funding.

Thread Information