Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: nfpa membership

Forum Member

Default nfpa membership

hello all,

Today I received a thing in the mail asking did I want to join nfpa. Can someone tell me what kind of benefits you get from this and your personal opinion about it.

Thanks for any information

It's a waste of money.

You pay over $500 dollars for a monthly magazine and the chance to buy "cheaper" NFPA regulations. You can view them for free online but you cannot copy or print them.

It's a membership to a club that is strongly political and driven for profit by the industry leaders, not for public safety reasons. Yes, some states have adopted NFPA regulations either all or in part( including WI), however most of their regulations are actually suggestions.

In budget times, I am not renewing.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Sorry, here is the free viewer for all NFPA regulations.

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/li...?cookie_test=1

You cannot copy and paste or print these but you can read the latest versions anytime you like.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    It's a waste of money.

You pay over $500 dollars for a monthly magazine and the chance to buy "cheaper" NFPA regulations. You can view them for free online but you cannot copy or print them.
    Exaggerate much? Dues are $150/year. NFPA Journal is one of the better fire service magazines out there (ceratainly better than Firehouse) and then there's the access to a wealth of other NFPA materials.

The member discount on NFPA publications may not mean much to everybody but if you happen to be involved in public education, code enforcement, or little things like training, they often offset the cost of membership entirely.

It's a membership to a club that is strongly political and driven for profit by the industry leaders, not for public safety reasons.
    Bullsh|t. The NFPA is driven by the entire fire service and every stakeholder with any interest in it. If you personally don't haven't a voice in it there's nobody to blame but yourself. Like it or not, the NFPA has a strong influence on the entire fire service. Better to be a part of the process than not. ;
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

While I may be a member of the NFPA, there is no way in HELL I'm going to pay for the membership. Seriously, why would I support an association that constantly ties my hands behind my back, and requires things on rigs to drive up the price of it, to make someone else richer???

It's a club that resembles, "you scratch my back this year, next year I'll scratch yours".

Yeah, there have been some good things about it, but to be honest, half, if not more, needs to be re-thought.

It may not be political, per say, but is business, to the "get rich" theme for manufacturers and government agencies.

FM1

I got your back Dickey.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

I am a member, but not always proud.

I have my disagreements with NFPA, but as DM states quite eloquently...

if you don't participate in the process, you cannot complain.

(Isn't that what you stated DM?)

Just like voting for our representatives, if you don't vote, you must accept whatever happens.

You are responsible for your own voice and opinion.

We like to complain about the Standards, some more than others. It seems like I am on the losing opinion side of things time and again, but I have to keep trying despite the odds and outcomes.

I am on record as saying many times, I think NFPA has overreached. The difference is I most likely put my two cents into the discussion. When we refer to NFPA, we easily forget it is us and our peers that set the standard... not some big old monster. NFPA is just a collective body of people.

Do a few have specific motives? Of course, just I do as when I think we are about to go too far and want to hold it back. If that is wrong, then pay your membership and get involved. Then you can have a specific motive as well.

So call it what you want, but it is the Standard that we live by, or try to anyway. If you don't try to understand how we got here, or involve yourself in the process... you cannot complain. You have absolved yourself from taking any responsibility for what comes next. And you sure can't change anything if you don't try.

And Dickey... I also have your back Sir... along with FMs.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

I am with PD.....I have been a member myself for over 10 years....and believe it or not, not EVERY standard is solely driven by industry.....yes, the high-impact, higher 'cost' standards are seen as being driven by industry - but there are many many other, 'smaller' standards (no less important IMO) that have private individuals who work on the Technical Committees (myself included).

If you don't get involved, you will never have a say.....

As for benefits - as already stated, discounts on merchandise, standards etc.....as a TC member, yes there is some additional cost such as travel to meetings, but these days many things are done via teleconference and email. I have a meeting coming up this spring, first one in a couple of years.....my job also allows for 3 days of Professional Leave, so I will not lose any pay to travel - just have my own travel costs....my first meeting was about 20 minutes from my brothers (old) house - so if you plan right and do your homeowrk before joining a TC etc you may be able to cut down on 'extra' costs.

I'm right up there standing beside PK watching everyones' back.....
    Last edited by pasobuff; 10-05-2010 at 07:40 AM.

For $150 you get a magazine and a free bowl of soup.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Hey!.............

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    The NFPA is driven by the entire fire service and every stakeholder with any interest in it.

Let me make one thing Extremely Clear....... If I was Driving, that Rig would be going in an entirely different Direction......

NFPA is jokingly referred to as "Not For Practical Application". In my opinion, some of the stuff they've done to the Fire Service is no joke. In Maryland, we have found a way to get them under control though, by having Laws passed by the State Legislature to prohibit the use of what we find objectionable. Example - A NFPA Standard references the use of a Switch that shuts all White Lights off when the Parking brake is applied. We were of the opinion that only the Driver of a Vehicle should be able to control Warning Lights. A bit of discussion in the State Legislature and the result is that system is not allowed under Maryland's Motor Vehicle Laws.

I've said before, and I still feel that the Two biggest Dangers we face in the Fire Service are the NFPA and the EPA.

I do have an idea, if enough people are interested............ Round up as many of us as possible that are fed up with the NFPA, we all join and take over.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by lvfd2167 View Post
    hello all,

Today I received a thing in the mail asking did I want to join nfpa. Can someone tell me what kind of benefits you get from this and your personal opinion about it.

Thanks for any information

You got a 'thing' in the mail huh? Shred it.

The department should belong to that outfit, so they can buy the standards and other material for fire prevention at a lower cost than if they weren't members.

That would be the only reason to belong.

I forgot what the cost of membership was as I dropped out in 2002 after 30 plus years. I probably could have had a life membership had I asked, but I didn't want any more of them.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information