Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What grant is right for us?

Hey all,
    I am looking into trying to write a grant request for some equipment for my department and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what type of grant I should be looking for.

What I would like to request is a couple scene lights (something like these: http://tinyurl.com/28tgm7t) and possibly some Paratech stabilization struts. We run a lot of wrecks out in rutal/mountainous areas, so the scene lights are REALLY needed. But, like every department, we need to find a way to buy the equipment we need without taking away from out budget.

So, does anyone know what type of grant I should look into, or even where to start?

You can email me direct if you'd like, leatherheadff@gmail.com

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrvrescue View Post
    Hey all,
    I am looking into trying to write a grant request for some equipment for my department and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what type of grant I should be looking for.

What I would like to request is a couple scene lights (something like these: http://tinyurl.com/28tgm7t) and possibly some Paratech stabilization struts. We run a lot of wrecks out in rutal/mountainous areas, so the scene lights are REALLY needed. But, like every department, we need to find a way to buy the equipment we need without taking away from out budget.

So, does anyone know what type of grant I should look into, or even where to start?

You can email me direct if you'd like, leatherheadff@gmail.com

Thanks!
    All those items are eligible under the Assistance to Firefighters Grant. check your email.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll tell you how I do this. I have a constant list of things we need, would like, or just plain want. I start by breaking it down to different operations; structure fires, vehicle fires, wildland fires, EMS, vehicle rescue, high angle rescue, training, traffic control, etc. Basically any discipline that we are trained to handle, or one that we need to get that training.

From there, I prioritize all of the items I can think of that we need. Top of the list is the highest priority, bottom is the lowest.

From there, you just keep your eyes open for the grants and what they focus on. If I see a grant that's focused on training, I'll ask for those top items on that list, or the highest items that are covered by that grant. With AFG, I tackle my highest priority that they'll allow.

If you do this, you'll find the list dictating what you need to ask for, which simplifies things considerably when it's time to start writing. The problem you get into is when you have two unrelated items that are the same priority.

Thread Information