Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Smile Spec wrighting class

Dose anyone know of any apparatus spec wrighting classes or seminars? the midwest area would be best.

Thanks to all
    Engine341

I can't point you to a class but I can supply a pointer:

Spell-check is your friend.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    I can't point you to a class but I can supply a pointer:

Spell-check is your friend.
    If you are from Prague, that would be spell czech!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by engine341 View Post
    Dose anyone know of any apparatus spec wrighting classes or seminars? the midwest area would be best.

Thanks to all
    Engine341
    If I have said this once, I have said it a thousand times.....Anyone even remotely involved with purchasing a piece of apparatus, from a first-time committee member to a senior line officer or even a motor maintenance shop supervisor, needs to have a copy of the book THE FIRE APPARATUS PURCHASING HANDBOOK, By William C. Peters. It is published by Fire Engineering. It is an INVALUABLE source of information, from making decisions of what kind of apparatus to buy, to buy new or to refurb, writing specifications,, contacting manufacturers and dealing with sales personnel....etc etc etc.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by engine341 View Post

Thanks to all
    Engine341

It is a Specification WRITING class, not wrighting class.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    It is a Specification WRITING class, not wrighting class.

Maybe not. Certain types of craftsmen who create things are known by the "wright" suffix....like millwrights, wheelwrights, and woodwrights. So maybe someone who creates a set of specifications could be considered a "specwright"?

Just trying to help out...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Default Spec Class

Ivy Tech College located in Indiana has a spec class. They may offer that class online. When I took the class we used the book that was mentioned previously. Go to www.ivytech.edu. I have also seen classes offered at FDIC. It is awesome that you are seeking an education on the topic before needed. The school of hard knocks is an expensive way to learn apparatus specs.

The class and "The Fire Apparatus Purchasing Handbook" would both be very helpful. Another option would be to make it a point to go to a nearby department (or not so nearby) that has recently spec'd a truck, or does so on a regular basis. Talk to the guy the runs the truck committee. They can offer a lot of valuable insight regarding what they did wrong, what they wished they hadn't done, and always the things they're very happy with. Most enjoy showing off their new rig.

Also, one thing that many people don't do, is to use the vendors. The pump/chassis/generator/lighting/foam/tool/etc. guys are there to answer questions and help you get what you need. If you get conflicting info (most aren't that way), ask for references. They all have them. There are a lot of good products on the market, and there are a lot of features/options available that could very well make your life a lot easier... but many never ask.
    TruckCommittee.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1118 View Post
    Also, one thing that many people don't do, is to use the vendors. The pump/chassis/generator/lighting/foam/tool/etc. guys are there to answer questions and help you get what you need. If you get conflicting info (most aren't that way), ask for references. They all have them. There are a lot of good products on the market, and there are a lot of features/options available that could very well make your life a lot easier... but many never ask.
    You need to be careful doing this, as believe it or not, (we wont mention any names) there ARE vendors out there that would talk you into writing your spec around their product in order to eliminate competing bidders.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You need to be careful doing this, as believe it or not, (we wont mention any names) there ARE vendors out there that would talk you into writing your spec around their product in order to eliminate competing bidders.
    NO!!!!! Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Very true... however, don't let that stop you from talking to them. The fire service misses out on a lot of things that would make life easier/safer/more effective because they don't do their homework, and don't take time to listen. I see it every day.

Don't let vendors push you into their products, but do listen. I can't count the number of times I've heard "I wish I would've known about that when we spec'd our truck..."
    TruckCommittee.com

Thread Information