Thread: Clean and shiny

Forum Member

Question Clean and shiny

OK, I know that this is a bad industry to be in for someone who likes his stuff to look clean, shiny, and brand new. I get it. It's not going to stay that way for long, I understand it.

That being said, I am not willing to just give up right from the start and never even try to keep my stuff clean. I don't care that it's a losing battle, I'm still going to try, and maybe some day when I see it's not making a difference anymore, I'll stop then, but not until then.

So if anyone has any tips, tricks, or suggestions on keeping gear clean...Especially a helmet (plastic, not leather), which obviously can't go in a washing machine. I haven't been issued turnout gear yet (non-FF EMTs, like me, will have the option of getting turnout gear without the thermal insulator layer, if we so choose), so I don't know what, if any, washing instructions they have, but I know I've seen people put turnout gear in a washer. Whether that's a good idea or not, I have no idea, I just know I've seen it happen. What about gloves (extrication gloves, like Ringers Barricade 1 in hi-vis yellow), can they go in the washer? Traffic safety vests, I assume they can go in the washer? I know that washing diminishes the reflective performance of reflective fabric (the silver parts) over time, though.

Forum Member

Follow the Manufacturers Instructions for care and cleaning.

If they didn't keep them, you can find them on the WWW.

You can get PPE without a thermal layer? Hmmm.

Must be a Nomex Jumpsuit for Wildland or Rescue.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Follow the Manufacturers Instructions for care and cleaning.

If they didn't keep them, you can find them on the WWW.

You can get PPE without a thermal layer? Hmmm.

Must be a Nomex Jumpsuit for Wildland or Rescue.
    Yes; one example is the Globe LifeLine series, in particular the Convertible line and the TechRescue line: http://www.globefiresuits.com/lifeline/ Thankfully, it's actual separate coat and pants and not a jumpsuit. I don't like jumpsuits. Actually, at my station we are given the option of getting a jumpsuit or the separates. I'm going with the separates, since I think it offers better protection. Most of the non-FF EMTs rarely ever wear this stuff, though, from what I've been told. My understanding is it's more for being around rescues, maybe even getting inside a vehicle for c-spine stabilizing, so flash-fire protection is good enough in terms of thermal protection, then the cut/puncture and chemical & splash protection and pathogen resistance.

Your suggestion is great; I mean it's so obvious, I feel really stupid for not thinking to look in the paperwork that came with my helmet. I kept it all, though, at least. Guess I should have read it first...

Forum Member

I wasn't suggesting you accept Wildland or Rescue PPE in lieu of Structural PPE.

You need all the protection you can get, and Wildland has no where close to the thermal protection of Structural PPE.

Our guys wear their Structural PPE when using rescue tools or when there is potential for a vehicle fire.

They only use Wildland PPE for Ground Cover/Brush Fires, and Rescue PPE when doing high-angle or other Rescue functions. They have the option of PPE when doing Traffic Control, but still wear vest on perimeters, (most opt for Structural PPE since there is a chance they may be moved up if everything goes wrong).

Our Medics are provided PPE but only use it as necessary since they are assigned support roles on other missions while assigned to EMS.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Thread Information