Forum Member

Default Mack Terra Pro...

I know after the Mack CF several dept's built several trucks with crew compartment on the Mack MC Cabover..... But, I was wonderinf if anyone has or has interest in building on the Mack Terra Pro Cabover...?

http://www.mackterrapro.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dano313 View Post
    I know after the Mack CF several dept's built several trucks with crew compartment on the Mack MC Cabover..... But, I was wonderinf if anyone has or has interest in building on the Mack Terra Pro Cabover...?

The people to talk to would be Fontaine Truck Modification Co. They work with many factories, including Mack, to do one-off modifications. I don't know if they will talk directly with you informally or not. Formal dealings would probably have to be made through Mack. One nice thing is that by working it that way, the Mack factory warranties would most likely remain in effect. The two companies' engineers work together on these things. There are other companies beside Fontaine that do the same type of thing.

I have not looked at the TerraPro's specs, but many LCF type of trucks are limited in their engine offerings. This is due to physical limitations and cooling capacity.

Forum Member

Post Mack ?

Mack builds a very good chassis cab, but would it be worth the extra money to have the cab extended for more seating when you could just purchase a fire apparatus chassis from Spartan or Hme without all the added cab modifications !

Forum Member

Talking

We looked at the Terrapro last year as a potential tanker chassis.
    They are available with plenty of GVW & enough Horses to work. The only holdback was price. Stock chassis was in the same market as base level Spartan Ferrara or HME custom cab chassis.
    By the time you had a custom one off cab made for it you would be well into mid-high end customs in price and have an orphan one of a kind when it came to parts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dano313 View Post

I think your biggest problem to having a company build one would be having to crush test one for compliancy for the NFPA, that's why there are less modified commercial chassis available these days. It's cost prohibative.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
    I think your biggest problem to having a company build one would be having to crush test one for compliancy for the NFPA, that's why there are less modified commercial chassis available these days. It's cost prohibative.
    ???. What standard are you talking about? If commercial cab chassis meets DOT/Fed requirements then I'm aware of no other required standards including additional crashtest.

IH does design/test to a higher standard though than Freightliner. Another reason to like the IH chassis (no SCR BS and have Roll Stability system).

http://www.navistar.com/government/C...nformation.pdf

Roll Over Protection Why SAE J2422?
    The International cab structure was developed to meet the roof strength requirements of the SAE J2422. These requirements were developed with Navistar engineers working with the Society of Automotive Engineers to
    develop a test to promote occupant protection in the event of a rollover accident scenarios.

SAE J2422 was chosen over the European standard roof strength test (ECE 29) for two main reasons. First, the SAE test procedure recognizes the forces that can compromise the structural integrity as a truck rolls onto its
    side, before it comes to rest on its roof. The ECE 29 test only applies a vertical load. Second, the ECE 29 also applies the load to the roof uniformly by a preformed platen, where the SAE test requires a rigid flat platen which
    results in a more severe test. See page 3 for additional information on SAE J2422 versus ECE 29 testing.

The International crew cab, extended cab and standard cab have been tested to meet the roof strength requirements of SAE J2422.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    ???. What standard are you talking about? If commercial cab chassis meets DOT/Fed requirements then I'm aware of no other required standards including additional crashtest.

IH does design/test to a higher standard though than Freightliner. Another reason to like the IH chassis (no SCR BS and have Roll Stability system).

http://www.navistar.com/government/C...nformation.pdf

Roll Over Protection – Why SAE J2422?
    The International cab structure was developed to meet the roof strength requirements of the SAE J2422. These requirements were developed with Navistar engineers working with the Society of Automotive Engineers to
    develop a test to promote occupant protection in the event of a rollover accident scenarios.

SAE J2422 was chosen over the European standard roof strength test (ECE 29) for two main reasons. First, the SAE test procedure recognizes the forces that can compromise the structural integrity as a truck rolls onto its
    side, before it comes to rest on its roof. The ECE 29 test only applies a vertical load. Second, the ECE 29 also applies the load to the roof uniformly by a preformed platen, where the SAE test requires a rigid flat platen which
    results in a more severe test. See page 3 for additional information on SAE J2422 versus ECE 29 testing.

The International crew cab, extended cab and standard cab have been tested to meet the roof strength requirements of SAE J2422.
    SFD makes a very valid point. He's speaking of builder modified cabs, i.e. grafting an area for riders onto the Mack cab, etc., or third party modified cabs.

I'm not sure how many builders that still construct enclosures for crew to ride in behind a commercial cab have actually tested their enclosures for compliance.

We all know a 4-door is compliant direct from IH or Freightliner, however, the aftermarket 4-doors that were available for KW and Peterbilt from Bentz are not tested for rollover integrity, just seat and seatbelt standards.

http://www.bentzusa.com/catalog.asp

Here's the NFPA standard as well:

NFPA 1901 - 14.3.2 - Cabs on apparatus with a GVWR greather than 26,000 lb shall meet the requirements of one of the following set of standards:

(1) SAE J2420
    (2) ECE Regulation number 29
    Last edited by npfd801; 10-12-2010 at 01:05 AM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    SFD makes a very valid point. He's speaking of builder modified cabs, i.e. grafting an area for riders onto the Mack cab, etc., or third party modified cabs.

I'm not sure how many builders that still construct enclosures for crew to ride in behind a commercial cab have actually tested their enclosures for compliance.

We all know a 4-door is compliant direct from IH or Freightliner, however, the aftermarket 4-doors that were available for KW and Peterbilt from Bentz are not tested for rollover integrity, just seat and seatbelt standards.

http://www.bentzusa.com/catalog.asp

Here's the NFPA standard as well:

NFPA 1901 - 14.3.2 - Cabs on apparatus with a GVWR greather than 26,000 lb shall meet the requirements of one of the following set of standards:

(1) SAE J2420
    (2) ECE Regulation number 29
    Thank you, that is what I meant

Thread Information