Thread: arriving POV

Forum Member

Default arriving POV

i see alot of pov talk, whos driving the truck?lol
    im lucky to live just blocks from the station, but even when im out and about and hear that a responder is in route pov, i head to the station.
    we dont allow ppe in pov's due to the fact if everyone shows pov, then wheres the truck(s)
    I made 2 pov responces. 1 was a lift assist, 2 was i was fishing just down the road and it was a grass fire.
    what do you do when someone already is responding pov?

MembersZone Subscriber

If as you say, it is against your department SOP to respond POV, then the Chief needs to step up and enforce the rules. If it's not against SOP or the Chief won't enforce it, then there isn't much you can do do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    If as you say, it is against your department SOP to respond POV, then the Chief needs to step up and enforce the rules. If it's not against SOP or the Chief won't enforce it, then there isn't much you can do do.
    I dont mean to impose that we are not allowed to show pov, we can.
    i was just saying we dont keep our bunkers n such in our vehicals, incase everyone decides to show up pov, and nobodys bringing an apperatus.
    but if some one responds pov and askes for their gear to be brought then thats what we do. kinda helps to get someone there quick that can give a better point of view on what equiptment to send out of if we are gonna need mutual aid asap..
    i was curious to the pov/apperatus ratio i guess

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by monkybrainz View Post
    I dont mean to impose that we are not allowed to show pov, we can.
    i was just saying we dont keep our bunkers n such in our vehicals, incase everyone decides to show up pov, and nobodys bringing an apperatus.
    but if some one responds pov and askes for their gear to be brought then thats what we do. kinda helps to get someone there quick that can give a better point of view on what equiptment to send out of if we are gonna need mutual aid asap..
    i was curious to the pov/apperatus ratio i guess
    Hmm.... a bit hard to follow you, here.

If you don't have the PPE, you probably shouldn't stop. Its been pointed out in another thread that absolutes can be tricky at times.

For instance, I'm not passing my brother's house if its on fire to get to the station. I'm stopping and making sure everyone is out. Probably for my friends and close neighbors as well.

Many grabs have been done without the protection of ppe and a hoseline. Do we advocate that, NO. But lets be realistic too....

I guess the answer to your question is that my VFD has a rule that you are not to stop unless the scene is on your direct route to the station AND you have your PPE. It is expected that most, if not all, will respond to the station.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Hmm.... a bit hard to follow you, here.

If you don't have the PPE, you probably shouldn't stop. Its been pointed out in another thread that absolutes can be tricky at times.

For instance, I'm not passing my brother's house if its on fire to get to the station. I'm stopping and making sure everyone is out. Probably for my friends and close neighbors as well.

Many grabs have been done without the protection of ppe and a hoseline. Do we advocate that, NO. But lets be realistic too....

I guess the answer to your question is that my VFD has a rule that you are not to stop unless the scene is on your direct route to the station AND you have your PPE. It is expected that most, if not all, will respond to the station.
    thats totaly agreeable logic there, i guess i was wondering if a person hears that someone is on scene pov, and they would have to pass it to get to the station ( and get the rescue or whatever apperatus), would they do so? does that sound right?

MembersZone Subscriber

thats totaly agreeable logic there, i guess i was wondering if a person hears that someone is on scene pov, and they would have to pass it to get to the station ( and get the rescue or whatever apperatus), would they do so? does that sound right?
    Our policy is that only officer are to respond to the scene. Doesn't always happen that way, but that is the plan. I try to keep an ear on the scanner to see what other officers may be going to the scene. Based on that, the sizeup and what I know about our staffing, I will make the decision to go to the scene or to the station.

Forum Member

i see alot of pov talk, whos driving the truck?lol
    im lucky to live just blocks from the station, but even when im out and about and hear that a responder is in route pov, i head to the station.
    we dont allow ppe in pov's due to the fact if everyone shows pov, then wheres the truck(s)
    I made 2 pov responces. 1 was a lift assist, 2 was i was fishing just down the road and it was a grass fire.
    what do you do when someone already is responding pov?
    I go to the station and dress, then get on the truck.

Our POV responders are the same guys every time - it has to do with the fifteen guys on our roster and the eight seats on the trucks...as discussed in some detail here (Responding in your personal vehicle? yes or no? thoughts?)
    Last edited by DubyaVFF; 10-11-2010 at 05:35 PM.
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

MembersZone Subscriber

There's only a half dozen houses I can pass on the way to the firehouse, if I'm home. Even then, I'm one of the primary drivers of the engine, so it makes more sense for me to go to the station.

I do carry my gear, and sometimes do end up at the scene sans apparatus, but usually it's all there by then anyhow.

A month or so ago I did essentially pass up the scene of a fully involved garage, but I stopped at the end of my driveway long enough to call fire control on the radio and confirm that we had a working fire. Then I went to the station and picked up the engine...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I run on two all volly departments and everyone reports to the station but the chief or assistant chief. If all the trucks are gone we grab out gear and take POV to the scene. We can carry out gear with us but I don't like the idea of being in the wifes car with the tones drop and not having my gear! If its a 1048 (injury accident) and its on our way to the station we are to stop and assist.......

You can't do much good at a working fire without a truck and water......

Thread Information