Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default "This thread is being closed due to thread bump." Huh?

Just what exactly is "thread bump" and why would one close an active, civil, on-topic discussion because of it?

Can someone on the webteam help me out on this one?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Looks like someone revived an 8 year old thread and an on-topic relevant continuation occurred on a topic that is timeless (for lack of a better term).

I dunno... some things have you scratching your head around here.

Looks like we're fiddling while Rome burns.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

I'll try since I'm the one that got "SPANKED" for it. APPARENTLY SOMEWHERE in the FINE print of the TOS is a caveat you are NOT supposed to respond to a thread OVER 60 days OLD. If that's the case,WHY doesn't the WT CLOSE them? I agree that no one was hurt due to the bump and useful information was still still being exchanged. Maybe time to move a lot of this stuff over to IACOJ where there are less "issues"with the exchange of information. T.C.

APPARENTLY SOMEWHERE in the FINE print of the TOS is a caveat you are NOT supposed to respond to a thread OVER 60 days OLD.
    Well there goes any effective use of the search function...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Oh, you can SEARCH 'em,just DON'T answer them. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Most of us have "admonished" someone for NOT using the search function.

Is there some administrative reason for this? I don't get it.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

I wouldn't advocate this, but......
    What if all of us went back and revived some old thread......hmmmm.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

Administrator

Default Thread bumping question

We are in the process of going in and closing all threads that are greater than 60 days old but have not accomplished this as of yet.

The only reason that we closed the thread was due to a report we received.

It is addressed in the rules and guidelines and we have asked that if a thread has been inactive for greater than 2 months, please do not post to them.

Firehouse Web Manager

Makes NO sense whatsoever to me but I've logged it in as another FH BAD policy. T.C.

All the other crap on here, including going months with the same clown (ie. scarecrow) posting under different names with no action, and you jump all over this?
    What do you need to put in this report to get this type of response?
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 10-11-2010 at 12:30 PM.
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by webteam View Post
    We are in the process of going in and closing all threads that are greater than 60 days old but have not accomplished this as of yet.
    Okay. Then I'll revise my question. What is it about a 60 day old thread that automatically makes it "off limits?" It seems kind of arbitrary and I can't think of a single reason why such a rule should even exist.

Administrator

It seems that this 'guideline' may be causing some confusion. In an effort to keep our forum conversations as fresh as possible, we prefer that old threads are not 'bumped' just for the sake of moving it to the top of the main listings. However, ongoing discussions that are on-topic, containing useful and relevant information, should remain open for discussion. We are currently reviewing this policy and we are still working to get very old threads closed. Please do not go through and start bumping old threads just to make a point about this issue, and thank you for your patience as we continue to monitor and review our content and policies to make the Firehouse.com forums the best place for Firefighter information and community.

Quote Originally Posted by webteam View Post
    It seems that this 'guideline' may be causing some confusion. In an effort to keep our forum conversations as fresh as possible, we prefer that old threads are not 'bumped' just for the sake of moving it to the top of the main listings.
    Okay. That's reasonable.

However, ongoing discussions that are on-topic, containing useful and relevant information, should remain open for discussion.
    Then why have you closed at least two that I'm aware of so far today? Apparently soley on the basis that they're revivals of "old threads?" You seem to be contradicting yourself.

We are currently reviewing this policy and we are still working to get very old threads closed.
    Perhaps you should complete your review before unnecessarily (and irrationally) closing all those old threads?

thank you for your patience as we continue to monitor and review our content and policies to make the Firehouse.com forums the best place for Firefighter information and community.
    Not for nothing, but you guys do tend to find the damnedest things to focus on... 99% of forum management is leaving things alone and letting the software do the work for you. Dead topics tend to die on thier own. Better to spend time managing the other 1% and not micromanaging the rest.

Oh that's nothing. In their continuing mission to be useless and counter productive, they gave ME a warning and are allowing the Laguna Liar and both his fraudulent accounts to remain. I'm not at all surprised they're locking old threads just for the sake of making it look like they do work. Every time I think this place couldn't be more mismanaged and run into the ground, they push the envelope.

They suggested I re-read their rules. The same rules that they don't follow themselves. Ironic.

PS- If I get suspended or banned for pointing out the webteam's intentional dereliction of their responsibility on here, someone please make it known I went down fighting....
    Last edited by nmfire; 10-11-2010 at 06:45 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Glad to know I'm not the ONLY one around here that thinks some stuff is WHACKED? T.C.

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I chewed them a new *** about this, actually.

NM, I'm off to that thread next.

Appears that scarecrow, aka cdevoe, now charlied has returned. Whats the odds that one of our many educated posters gets banned or warned before anything is done about this flagrant violation of the so called "user agreement"?
    But what ever you do, don't post on a topic more than 60 days old...
    George Mason

Thread Information