Forum Member

Question Looking for Custom Contender Chassis Specs.

We are in the process of evaluating custom chassis on some of the "program" trucks. We are looking to obtain a general set of specs to do some comparrisons with. Pierce Dealer does not like that we are comparing apples to apples so he doesn't want to help us out. I would appreciate it If anyone has a Custom Contender Spec that they could e-mail to me.
    Jeorge. station14@charter.net

Forum Member

I sent you an email.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by westtexas View Post
    Pierce Dealer does not like that we are comparing apples to apples so he doesn't want to help us out. Jeorge. station14@charter.net
    Wow what a surprise??

MembersZone Subscriber

Tell him they are going to be the bid spec and you'll have a set before you can get to your fax machine.

Call the other big 2 mfg, either build a better truck and likely will save you some $.

I think I still have a Contender Customcab spec from Nov08. If so will email it to you.

Forum Member

Smile

Go to the Pierce Mfg. web site and look up chassis cabs, the custom contender is the SABER chassis, just look under specs !

Forum Member

Default Custom Contender

Built one and was delivered in 2008. Ill see what I can find. Great truck so far........

Forum Member

Just don't plan on being able to move in the OIC seat...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

We are in the process of evaluating custom chassis on some of the "program" trucks. We are looking to obtain a general set of specs to do some comparrisons with. Pierce Dealer does not like that we are comparing apples to apples so he doesn't want to help us out. I would appreciate it If anyone has a Custom Contender Spec that they could e-mail to me.
    Frankly, you are wasting you time going to a sales rep and looking for general specs.

Go figure. Do you go to a Chevy shop and ask for something Ford can bid on? Yet, you still ask for a Contender spec.

You could easily get a Contender spec from the Pierce rep. Why would you even think of asking him for a "general spec." He doesn't sell General, he sell sells Pierce. And, he is not about to give you a generic set of specs that could cost him a sale. He will readily give you a 200 page spec that totally eliminates everyone else but, what do you expect? When was the last time you stopped at a McDonald's and asked for the best sandwich around and the manager pointed you to an Arby's?

Yeah, everyone brags about writing specs but, they usually get the bulk of it from a builder, or two, or three..... So, just do what everyone else does. Take his specs and water them down. God forbid you should actually write a set of specs from scratch.

Or... and this is a big or... you could take the time to write a set of performance specs.

Nah. That would be way too much trouble. It's a lot easier to just take the builder specs and just tell everyone not to take exceptions. Then you can just choose from two or three builders. (Just so you know, every builder has been told to ignore the specs and list exceptions only to lose to a much higher bid where exceptions were used against them.) But, whatever you do, take full credit for those detailed specs

Performance specs are the way to go. Screw the sellers, me included.

There really are not that many crappy trucks being made. If you specify a bid bond and a performance bond with a decent set of performance specs, and hold the successful bidder's feet to the fire, you will get a good deal.

You will also find that there are several manufacturer's out there that, for some reason, will not bid on a performance spec.

Again, I repeat, there are not that many bad trucks out there. The purpose of detailed specifications has been railroaded by builders and buyers to suppress opposition. This is also true of waste management systems, reflective signs, police cars, hydrants, street lights, or just about anything bought with tax dollars on a bid.

A performance spec forces everyone to bid their best price for the mission. However, since it means you might not get the brand you want, I have only seen a few of them in the last 35 years of my involvement of fire apparatus bids.

Most departments, committees, districts, cities, whatever... seem to have already made up their mind. They even publish their preference as a "Request to Bid." Seriously, does anyone expect to get a slew of bids when their specs call for something that is proprietary? I see them every day.

Performance specs are the way to change the industry. The more customers that use them, the better off we all will be.

Forum Member

Thanks to all with the information and details provided. Everything is very much appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Frankly, you are wasting you time going to a sales rep and looking for general specs.....................
    Or... and this is a big or... you could take the time to write a set of performance specs.

Nah. That would be way too much trouble. It's a lot easier to just take the builder specs and just tell everyone not to take exceptions. Then you can just choose from two or three builders. (Just so you know, every builder has been told to ignore the specs and list exceptions only to lose to a much higher bid where exceptions were used against them.) But, whatever you do, take full credit for those detailed specs

Performance specs are the way to go. Screw the sellers, me included.

There really are not that many crappy trucks being made. If you specify a bid bond and a performance bond with a decent set of performance specs, and hold the successful bidder's feet to the fire, you will get a good deal.
    A performance spec forces everyone to bid their best price for the mission. However, since it means you might not get the brand you want, I have only seen a few of them in the last 35 years of my involvement of fire apparatus bids............
    Performance specs are the way to change the industry. The more customers that use them, the better off we all will be.
    OK, we have never owned a new engine, and looks like we may be awarded a grant for one.
    Being a small volli dept, there are a few things we would like to have on a new truck, but frankly we can make just about any truck work for our needs. Thats how we've gotten by all these years (75+) making the 2nd & 3rd hand engines we have, work.
    I dont understand what performance specs are, can you elaborate into laymans terms?
    I have nothing to base what side box has what brand shelfs or how many inches above the step a certain warning light should be. We do however want a engine that safely delivers our ff and has hose and ladders that dont give you a nosebleed to utilize. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

Forum Member

I dont understand what performance specs are, can you elaborate into laymans terms? I have nothing to base what side box has what brand shelfs or how many inches above the step a certain warning light should be. We do however want a engine that safely delivers our ff and has hose and ladders that dont give you a nosebleed to utilize. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Essentially a "performance spec" lists or describes what you need and want the apparatus to be equipped and capable of regardless of body material and brand.

A "proprietory spec" lists or describes exactly how Brand ABC builds their apparatus and it probably includes alot of legal type mumbo-jumbo that tells experienced people that you want a Brand ABC fire truck.

For some departments it really does matter that a proprietory specified aluminum body is 1/8" formed rather than 3/16" extruded, or for that matter stainless or galvaneal.

For others it is simply a matter of closely meeting the "intent" (you decide) of the specs at the budgeted price.

Many companies offer production trucks that probably do what most of us (not all) need.

Pay close attention to the size (inside and door opening) of the compartments.

It is very possible to write your own performance specs and get a good deal for your community.

Do be careful to include things such as shelves, tool brackets and loose equipment (if needed) in the original bid price. Have the bidder list them as options if needed. This will help keep you from getting gouged if and when you decide you want the stuff.

The shelf spec should read what you want to carry on it (LBS.) and if you want it to move up and down or in and out, or both!

Placement of primary warning lights and step lights are pretty much non-negotioable. Basic NFPA compliance will get you a decent set-up. Anything more will cost more.

Forum Member

Did you look at the link below? Most of the larger companies will give you this type information online...

http://www.contenderbypierce.com/spe...der_pumper.cfm

Forum Member

disregard wrong place, how do I delete
    Last edited by SFD_E73_RET; 12-06-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: wrong place

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Well said!

Performance specs are like specifing that it have a four door cab and the pumper meets all NFPA 1901 - 2009 requirements. That the pump be capable of 1,500 gpm rating and meet all NFPA 1901 - 2009 requiremnts. That the engine have a minimum horse power to meet the pump rating and meet some performance such as climbing the grades in your area at a certain speed for example. ETC ETC

You don't detail every detail such as brand of engine air filter and power steering pump.
    You specify every thing has to meet all FMVSS and DOT laws and meet all aspects of NFPA 1901 -2009

Thread Information