Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Arlington, VA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    I sure hope so! Would love to join you in the academy. What day did you go down and meet with the chief last week?
    Yea that would be great! I interviewed on tuesday. How about you? Anyone else hear any good news yet?!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't even get hr to respond if they have received my fingerprints or not, and dozens of emails and phone calls, and others are getting job offers? Just great

Quote Originally Posted by Hayd08 View Post
    Yea that would be great! I interviewed on tuesday. How about you? Anyone else hear any good news yet?!!!!
    Just got an e-mail today with a conditional offer! Wooooooo

Forum Member

Congrats!!!...Looks like we are moving on!!!

Forum Member

Congrats! Hopefully the rest works out for you.

Forum Member

Congrats on the letter.
    Last edited by Casurari; 05-05-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Forum Member

Congrats man, that's awesome. Best of luck to you.

Forum Member

Just curious if anyone has any info into how ACFD works? I'm having trouble finding anything on their academy (other than it's 26 weeks). Is it Monday-Friday 9-5 type deal, or something else?

Also, I saw on the site that you need to be doing ALS a year after being hired. Do they put you through that or do you have to do that on your days off or what?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefireeverywhere View Post
    Just curious if anyone has any info into how ACFD works? I'm having trouble finding anything on their academy (other than it's 26 weeks). Is it Monday-Friday 9-5 type deal, or something else?

Also, I saw on the site that you need to be doing ALS a year after being hired. Do they put you through that or do you have to do that on your days off or what?
    The academy is M-F, time I believe is 0730 til 1600. There is approx an hour of PT either first thing or last thing. The academy will be split between EMT and Fire. Which one is done first depends on the State EMT testing cycle.

If given a final offer, you will be given a contract to sign stating that you will obtain an ALS cert and maintain it for the rest of your career. In the past, before I left, you were not able to go to ALS school until you are off probation. Again depending on department needs, they use to take volunteers first and if not enough people went they would send you based on recruit school. So the people who have been on prior to you, would be sent if they haven't gone already.

Now things may have changed since I left so maybe someone else, Dennis, could have more recent info.

Forum Member

So after your probation period, they eventually send you back to an ALS academy type of thing? So you're out of the firehouse for that time (a year or more?) until you get your ALS cert?

Also, after you get your ALS, how is it determined what rig you'll be on? Truck/Engine/Medic unit? Is it a shift by shift thing, 6 months on Medic, 6 months on Truck/Engine, a couple hours each shift on Medic, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by scubadvr View Post
    The academy is M-F, time I believe is 0730 til 1600. There is approx an hour of PT either first thing or last thing. The academy will be split between EMT and Fire. Which one is done first depends on the State EMT testing cycle.

If given a final offer, you will be given a contract to sign stating that you will obtain an ALS cert and maintain it for the rest of your career. In the past, before I left, you were not able to go to ALS school until you are off probation. Again depending on department needs, they use to take volunteers first and if not enough people went they would send you based on recruit school. So the people who have been on prior to you, would be sent if they haven't gone already.

Now things may have changed since I left so maybe someone else, Dennis, could have more recent info.
    There have been no recent Department Orders that I can recall on the subject of ALS School. Can't figure out the current rhyme or reason, but can say if you express a desire to go, you will get to go before those not stepping up. Not to say that you should avoid it, or will be able to avoid it if you don't want that path either. Some just like the blood, dealing with people, extra pay and increased work-tempo that comes with the Medic Unit more than others do.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Oh yeah, and congrats to all that got offers! Get yourself in shape physically, mentally, financially, and socially. There is no reason to drop over Girlfriend/Boyfriend issues, credit/bill problems back home, etc. It is a great Department, with good people that you will work with, in a great metropolitian area, serving folks that generally support you and the Nation.

For those that did not get offers, don't take it too personally, LOTS of people applied and many good people don't get past this particular written test, while at the top it always comes down to an unfortuante numbers game.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Oh yeah, and congrats to all that got offers! Get yourself in shape physically, mentally, financially, and socially. There is no reason to drop over Girlfriend/Boyfriend issues, credit/bill problems back home, etc. It is a great Department, with good people that you will work with, in a great metropolitian area, serving folks that generally support you and the Nation.

For those that did not get offers, don't take it too personally, LOTS of people applied and many good people don't get past this particular written test, while at the top it always comes down to an unfortuante numbers game.
    I was just curious if arlington gives out rejection letters. I went on the interview with the panel but i havent heard anything else. As I can see on here it seems like people got conditional offers. I guess I did not make it that far and I was just curious if they send out rejection letters or if anyone on here has gotten one yet. Thanks P.S. Good Luck to the ones that got a conditional offer

Quote Originally Posted by eyebrowike View Post
    I was just curious if arlington gives out rejection letters. I went on the interview with the panel but i havent heard anything else. As I can see on here it seems like people got conditional offers. I guess I did not make it that far and I was just curious if they send out rejection letters or if anyone on here has gotten one yet. Thanks P.S. Good Luck to the ones that got a conditional offer
    Sorry, not privileged to that info. No one will be offended or feel hassled if you call up HR and ask.

Good Luck!
    -Big Russ

Quote Originally Posted by firefireeverywhere View Post
    So after your probation period, they eventually send you back to an ALS academy type of thing? So you're out of the firehouse for that time (a year or more?) until you get your ALS cert?

Also, after you get your ALS, how is it determined what rig you'll be on? Truck/Engine/Medic unit? Is it a shift by shift thing, 6 months on Medic, 6 months on Truck/Engine, a couple hours each shift on Medic, etc?
    You will be attending ALS School on your days off for the most part. In the past folks were paid for their time in class, which should be OT pay. This might have changed, and could change in the future, that sort of thing is budget driven, but you won't financially suffer for going to Medic School.
    -Big Russ

Thanks for the insight Dennis. I couldn't find any of that info online either. I'm assuming you're on the job in Arlington?

Uniform fitting/psych/medical in the next few days. Kinda nervous about it because I've never been through this before. But can't wait! Anyone with anything to offer up about the psych or medical stuff, feel free!

Forum Member

Just wanted to say congrats and good luck to everyone moving on.

I talked to Captain Freeland today. He told me they are planning on another class of 20 out of this process. So the process is still open and everyone should be getting a letter soon indicating if you are still eligible or if you have been removed for whatever reason.

Good luck to everyone, whether you are moving on or still waiting.

Stay Safe

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by FFMark24 View Post
    Just wanted to say congrats and good luck to everyone moving on.

I talked to Captain Freeland today. He told me they are planning on another class of 20 out of this process. So the process is still open and everyone should be getting a letter soon indicating if you are still eligible or if you have been removed for whatever reason.

Good luck to everyone, whether you are moving on or still waiting.

Stay Safe

Mark
    Do you know if he was referring to the December class, or another class after that?

Forum Member

Do you know if he was referring to the December class, or another class after that?
    Not sure. All he said was some people had moved forward already for a first class, and that they were doing another class after that one. I hadn't heard anything before now of a second class. Just the first one in Jun/Jul or something in there.

Quote Originally Posted by FFMark24 View Post
    Not sure. All he said was some people had moved forward already for a first class, and that they were doing another class after that one. I hadn't heard anything before now of a second class. Just the first one in Jun/Jul or something in there.
    From everything I've gathered, the first class starts July 5th. There is a second class scheduled to begin in December 2011. So I'm guessing those who received a conditional offer already will be going into the July class.

Thread Information