Thread: Arlington, VA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefireeverywhere View Post
    Thanks! I've been looking around online, and haven't come across any of this info.

So after that proby period, is it a daily decision on what you ride, or is it a set period you ride the engine, then a set period you ride the bus?
    Only if you are a Medic, otherwise you will be on the Engine or Truck.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scubadvr View Post
    He is right. You are assigned to a station out of school. Some are single engines, engines/medics, 3 are engines/trucks/medics, and 2 are engines/rescue/medic. No matter which station you are assigned to, you will be responsible for knowing the inventories and specs of engines/trucks/rescues/medics. Depending on where you go determines which you will have to know. You don't get a choice as far as where you get assigned. It comes down to department needs, your personalitly and how you do in recruit school.

After a certain amount of time, I believe your tenth month of employment. They can have you drive the medic unit, but that all depends on how well you know your stuff. Also the ALS requirement may send you to school right after probation or it may take a little while. Again all depends on needs.
    Just a technicality, 2(Sta. 5&6) are engine/truck/medic, 1(Sta.9) is Engine/Rescue/Medic and 1(Sta.4) is Truck/Rescue/Medic. Hope things are treating you right on the west coast, you are missed!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefireeverywhere View Post
    Thanks! I've been looking around online, and haven't come across any of this info.

So after that proby period, is it a daily decision on what you ride, or is it a set period you ride the engine, then a set period you ride the bus?

You need to worry about getting the Badge and not where you might be riding.

You are assigned to an Engine or Truck Company. If could be on a day you may be riding in the other type of company other than the one you are assigned to. This is called filling in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    You need to worry about getting the Badge and not where you might be riding.

You are assigned to an Engine or Truck Company. If could be on a day you may be riding in the other type of company other than the one you are assigned to. This is called filling in.
    Thanks for your concern Jonnee.

But I'm just trying to gather up information about the department to use if I make it to the interviews. I like to know as much as I can about the department when I go for an interview. I like to familiarize myself with the operations as much as I can beforehand.

Forum Member

Starting to prepare for the panel interview, as I have heard it generally comes up on short notice..... after the CPAT. Does anyone know how Arlington County's Panel Interview is set up? IE. Who sit's on the panel? I have read in other topics about the panel interview and know some departments focus on specific situational questions. Any advice for a first timer to the panel interview?

Thanks and good luck

Forum Member

Do you think it's wise to call to make sure certain documents have arrived for the background check or would this annoy HR?

Thanks.

Forum Member

I called to make sure they received my background packet. I personally wanted to make sure that they received it because of the information it contains..... They said they would contact me if they were missing anything. I.E. transcripts, criminal history, etc.

You ready for the CPAT?

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jdobbs View Post
    I called to make sure they received my background packet. I personally wanted to make sure that they received it because of the information it contains..... They said they would contact me if they were missing anything. I.E. transcripts, criminal history, etc.

You ready for the CPAT?
    What kind of criminal history do you have, that was so importnat that you had to called to be sure they received it???

Forum Member

Because I am from out of town and I had a scheduling conflict, i took the CPAT 2/19 in my home state and will be sending the CPAT cert with my background.

Forum Member

It's not the criminal history I was concerned about.... Copies of my ssn, birth certificate, and ID.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DevelopmentHell View Post
    Do you think it's wise to call to make sure certain documents have arrived for the background check or would this annoy HR?

Thanks.
    It will not hurt to call and check. In fact it would be foolish not to check on these sorts of things.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

has anybody been going to the practices?? wonder what the crowd is like?? any idea on how many have passed the written?

Forum Member

I will be going to my first practice tomorrow.

Forum Member

since i work everyday theres a practice wondering what it details..any info? do u warm up together as a group or do people just do what ever they want? is supervised etc?

Forum Member

How does the actual CPAT work? I mean, do you have to sign up for a specific time? Or do you just show up at the facility at some point during the listed times, and get in a line to do the course?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    How does the actual CPAT work? I mean, do you have to sign up for a specific time? Or do you just show up at the facility at some point during the listed times, and get in a line to do the course?
    your letter should tell your test date...other departments that i did that with i would just show up and just take the test!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by surferdude311 View Post
    your letter should tell your test date...other departments that i did that with i would just show up and just take the test!
    My letter doesn't say anything about a test date for the CPAT. It just says the next step is the CPAT, and the dates are on the website. Nothing about when I'm scheduled to take it.

Forum Member

My letter doesn't say anything about a test date for the CPAT. It just says the next step is the CPAT, and the dates are on the website. Nothing about when I'm scheduled to take it.
    my bad that was on another counties letter...just go by the dates they have on the website the 26th march...i would call just to make sure though.. and the practice runs if u pass those that can be used for your certificate!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by surferdude311 View Post
    since i work everyday theres a practice wondering what it details..any info? do u warm up together as a group or do people just do what ever they want? is supervised etc?
    They have a FF fitness trainer at each of the stations. You warm up on your own, and pretty much just go around to each station and get your reps in to familiarize yourself with it.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if they rank CPAT times or if they are strictly pass/fail? I know many departments consider times and will rank candidates based on the fastest times.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if they rank CPAT times or if they are strictly pass/fail? I know many departments consider times and will rank candidates based on the fastest times.

I emailed the HR person to find out if it would benefit me to take the CPAT for them in hopes of a better score than my PG County test and was told no need to take it again since I passed in December.

Forum Member

Everything I've heard/read has said the written and CPAT were just pass/fails.

Got the e-mail from them today clarifying when to show up for the CPAT. E-mail only went out to about 500 people, is that all that's moving on to the CPAT ya think? That seems awfully low considering the amount that were there for the written.
    Last edited by st42stephenAFT; 03-01-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Forum Member

Why don't you google CPAT and you will find out all the steps and what it is all about.

Plus it will also tell you what CPAT stands for too!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Why don't you google CPAT and you will find out all the steps and what it is all about.

Plus it will also tell you what CPAT stands for too!
    Capt, I think you misunderstood me. I know what the CPAT course is, and what it stands for, that wasn't my question :-P

What I was asking about was about the day of the CPAT if we had to sign up for a time we wanted to go, or just show up at the testing site and get in a line to run the course. But they sent out an e-mail today stating when to show up based on your last name.

Forum Member

Capt, I think you misunderstood me. I know what the CPAT course is, and what it stands for, that wasn't my question :-P

What I was asking about was about the day of the CPAT if we had to sign up for a time we wanted to go, or just show up at the testing site and get in a line to run the course. But they sent out an e-mail today stating when to show up based on your last name.

Good deal stephen. Good luck, smoke 'em as it isn't that hard.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information