Thread: Rig Checks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rig Checks

I need help putting together a rig check for morning and evening shifts. We are a combination rescue co with career staff during the daytime and vollies at night. We have a rig check for the rescue right now that is currently has 2 sections and about 18 pages and takes about 2 hours to complete on a good day. I have been tasked with putting together a daily rig check of the estentials that is done daily and the 18 page would be weekly. I am thinking right off the bat fuel, emergency lights, hydraulics, power saws, battery change out for lights and sawzalls. I am looking for any help tips and any other info that could help.

Forum Member

I guess it would depend on all the tools on the rig. One thing you could do is have the daily checks, and they have some of the lesser used equipment checked a certain day of the week. This way you aren't checking all the "non-essential" stuff, as you put it, at once but doing a little extra each day.

Forum Member

I'd start with pack-checks and a brief start-up and running of saws and generators. Check fuel levels, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd suggest a daily checklist of the really important stuff (vehicle, fuel, etc) and breaking down the rest of the equipment into smaller units - saws one day, or a compartment each day, or something to that effect.

I'm of the opinion that 18 pages that take two hours plus to complete invites pencil-whipping.

If it needs to be done daily, do it daily. If it can survive a week, spread it out.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hookandcanman83 View Post
    I need help putting together a rig check for morning and evening shifts. We are a combination rescue co with career staff during the daytime and vollies at night. We have a rig check for the rescue right now that is currently has 2 sections and about 18 pages and takes about 2 hours to complete on a good day. I have been tasked with putting together a daily rig check of the estentials that is done daily and the 18 page would be weekly. I am thinking right off the bat fuel, emergency lights, hydraulics, power saws, battery change out for lights and sawzalls. I am looking for any help tips and any other info that could help.
    Bat Fuel? You check the rig for mosquitos, moths and other insects of the night?

Just kidding... but is it really necessary to write the firehouse equivalent of War and Peace?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I dont see why it takes two hours to complete? Here in Philly we can go over our ladder in about 15-20 mins. Set your gear up, check your pack, check levels, start truck, start saws,start generator/hurst tools check main ladder, change batteries and done.
    Last edited by tacbox; 10-13-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Forum Member

Here, we check that each piece of equipment is on the truck every day. We start every saw, fan and generator every day. If it has an engine, it gets ran.

That being said, I can have my engine checked top to bottom in 30 minutes. But I know the truck. I don't have to go check by check to know something is there. 2 hours for a checkoff is a little extreme.

One way to reduce time is to compartmentalize certain things. For example, parts of our jump bags are sealed.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hookandcanman83 View Post
    2 hrs? For how many staff doing the checks? I PERSONALLY don't like checksheets that take over 60 minutes to COMPLETE. Two personnel can do any rig in our house in about 30 minutes,stem to stern. Just a thought,T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

We pull the engines out...first thing is put in pump gear and let them run and flow some water while doing all the other checks. Saws, fans, tools, lights, packs, thermals, ems bags, hose, nozzles, fuel, etc and once every other shift run some foam also.

For 2 engines, rescue, and a brush truck it takes 2 guys about 2 to 3 hours and that includes sweeping and mopping the bay while the apparatus are outside.
    *Always leave the job a little better for the next guy*

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by adam015 View Post
    We pull the engines out...first thing is put in pump gear and let them run and flow some water while doing all the other checks. Saws, fans, tools, lights, packs, thermals, ems bags, hose, nozzles, fuel, etc and once every other shift run some foam also.

For 2 engines, rescue, and a brush truck it takes 2 guys about 2 to 3 hours and that includes sweeping and mopping the bay while the apparatus are outside.
    Ok, that's FOUR rigs or about 30 minutes a rig,not including Floor maintainence.We check EMS bags WEEKLY as we don't NORMALLY run EMS calls. T.C.

Forum Member

We don't start the trucks unless we are going somewhere, a call for service, district, training, etc.

We only start and run engines on saws, extrication pumps, and the like once a week.

It takes the driver maybe an hour to do all their checks, on all EMS gear, switch out all batteries, check lights, water, oil, fuel levels, etc.

All compartment are cleaned one a week on a day so designated. As well as other parts of the ride, tools, appliances, etc all have a day to be cleaned.

Not saying, if axes, hooks, tools, ladders, etc., have junk on them, they get cleaned on the morning inspection.

Plus the drivers are responsible for sweeping out the apparatus floor and dusting where needed.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I learned along time ago...its simple

Take care of your equipment, and it will take care of you!
    *Always leave the job a little better for the next guy*

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    We don't start the trucks unless we are going somewhere, a call for service, district, training, etc.

We only start and run engines on saws, extrication pumps, and the like once a week.

It takes the driver maybe an hour to do all their checks, on all EMS gear, switch out all batteries, check lights, water, oil, fuel levels, etc.

All compartment are cleaned one a week on a day so designated. As well as other parts of the ride, tools, appliances, etc all have a day to be cleaned.

Not saying, if axes, hooks, tools, ladders, etc., have junk on them, they get cleaned on the morning inspection.

Plus the drivers are responsible for sweeping out the apparatus floor and dusting where needed.
    Cap with the condition of the current fleet, we start and check the truck everyday. Aerial, pump, lights, etc. My station started running the saw and small engines everyday, it makes them easier to start.

Usually with washing and drying the driver will have both trucks checked, washed, bays cleaned, daily apparatus choir all knocked out by 1100 AM. Thats with all the fat chewing and etc that goes on in the station.

Forum Member

If it can power on it gets turned on and checked. (radios, tic, flashlights, air packs, tools, etc.) Cordless tools have their batteries rotated. For the truck the pump run, all lights checked, fluids checked (fuel, primer oil, generator fuel and oil, etc.) and tie pressure checked. The rest of the check is simply a visual check of each compartment to make sure everything is there as it should be.

I think the only way to avoid the lengthy check time while still being through is to do diffrent trucks on diffrent days. where I work we have seven trucks that get checked on a five day rotation (one day we check the chase, grass truck and tanker). certian things do get checked everyday (drug boxes, tires, fuel and water levels) and everyone working shift should be responsable for making sure they have a full pack.

Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Paraphoe View Post
    I'd start with pack-checks and a brief start-up and running of saws and generators. Check fuel levels, etc.
    i would not have them run the saws briefly, get those small engines (and any moter) up to operating temp before shutting it down when ever possible. help keep it cleaner and perform better. check the manual or with your departments "wrench".
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    i would not have them run the saws briefly, get those small engines (and any moter) up to operating temp before shutting it down when ever possible. help keep it cleaner and perform better. check the manual or with your departments "wrench".
    Agreed. I start our small engines and make sure the chain saw gets throttled up, then let them all sit and run while we clean the bay out. They usualy run about 15 minutes every morning.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information