Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Fall from a moving apparatus?

Wishing him a speedy recovery. Anyone have any more details on this? It looks bad on the surface but I only know what was printed on a news page.

Chapel Oaks firefighter in stable condition after falling off responding engine.

A Prince George's County volunteer firefighter is in stable condition after falling from a fire engine Sunday on its way to a house fire, county fire officials said.

The firefighter is a 20-year-old volunteer firefighter from Chapel Oaks with the Chapel Oaks Volunteer Fire Department, said Denice Dickens, a fire battalion chief for the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department. The man's name is not being released per the family's request.

The man was riding in the back bucket in the inside of an engine responding to a house fire in Temple Hills about 2 p.m. Sunday when he fell from the moving vehicle at 60th Avenue and Addison Road in Seat Pleasant, Dickens said. He suffered facial injuries and broken bones.

The cause of the fall is under investigation, Dickens said. He was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly, where he remains in stable condition.

The news media account is obviously AFU as usual. Riding in a bucket in the back of an engine? I too am curious what actually happened. I doubt it will be anything more acceptable or logical. But I would like the facts first.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    The news media account is obviously AFU as usual.
    It's the same wire clip I've read everywhere else. I can't find any other detail.

Wherever he was riding, where was the seatbelt?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post And........

I am not in a position to comment for the Record, but I will try to find an "Official" News Release or something without the "Media" embellishments.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

This is from the Chapel Oak's web site. Sounds like he was in the cab and the door came open. Sounds like he is doing well all things concidered. Obviously not wearing a seatbelt. I bet he will from now on.

This exact thing happened to me when I was a 17yr old explorer, as I've spoken about on here many times. I caught myself and the driver pulled me back in but I was hanging out the door face to face with a turning tire. I never blew off the seatbelt ever again.

http://www.chapeloaksfire.com/fullstory.php?118905

Chapel Oaks Member Injuried While Responding on a call
    While responding to a reported house fire, Volunteer Firefighter Antonie Hawkins was thrown out of the engine after a door malfunction suffering serious injuries to his face hands and shoulder. F/F Hawkins was transported to PG Hospital were he's listed in stable condition. Read more

Update October 11, 2010: F/F Hawkins is up and walking around with the assistance of a cane. We expect him to be transferred to a rehab facility tomorrow for as additional treatment!

Antonie expressed that he wanted to thank all of you for your visits, prayers and words of of encouragement.
    Last edited by nmfire; 10-12-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Forum Member

I wish him a full recovery. (That's all that needs to be said.)

Quote Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
    I wish him a full recovery. (That's all that needs to be said.)
    It's not all that needs to be said. It's clearly the most important. But if we just ignore the things that keep killing and injuring us, they will keep killing and injuring us. We shouldn't ignore our brother that is hurt, but it would be in vain if we ignore how he got hurt and pretend it didn't happen.

Forum Member

It's not all that needs to be said. It's clearly the most important. But if we just ignore the things that keep killing and injuring us, they will keep killing and injuring us. We shouldn't ignore our brother that is hurt, but it would be in vain if we ignore how he got hurt and pretend it didn't happen.
    I had no intention of getting dragged into this. But do we know all the details? All we do know at this time is that the door on the rig opened while the rig was in motion and he fell off the rig. I'm not hiding or pretending that it didn't happen but we do not know all the details and that is why I said "That's all that needs to be said."

MembersZone Subscriber

I've seen a couple of stories on this from firefighterclosecalls.com and statter911.com, as well as some others.

From what I've seen, the rig in question has a latching mechanism that's designed to open the door when it's pulled up. However, there's a stop that keeps it from opening when pushed down that has a problem with being overpowered. Apparently this isn't the first time they've had this problem with these rigs and it's recurring.

While I hope the guy recovers and is able to return, it definitely addresses the importance of seatbelts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    it definitely addresses the importance of seatbelts.
    WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS!!!! Its another 30 seconds of donning and doffing if you're slow...

I hope this firefighter fully recovers and is back to work soon.

We changed our SOG's for this reason. All firefighters (except the driver) don jacket and pants before boarding the rig. This lessens the temptation to leave one's seatbelt off to dress enroute. The driver may leave their jacket off to make driving easier.

When driving, before releasing the brake I always verify that everyone is secure. It's also up to everyone to police themselves and to not allow someone to not be belted.
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Forum Member

you're right, we need better designed door and latch systems.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    you're right, we need better designed door and latch systems.
    Is that your sarcastic way of saying that we don't need seatbelts? You should just come out and say it rather than being a smart *** about something it is causing more FF deaths than fire.
    Last edited by nmfire; 10-14-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Forum Member

Is that your sarcastic way of saying that we don't need seatbelts? You should just come out and say it rather than being a smart *** about something it is causing more FF deaths than fire.
    assuming this firefighter didn't have his seatbelt on, this accident had to parts. The door coming open and his lack of seatbelt (again an assumption). The doors of apparatus fly open a lot, maybe something should be done about that. It wouldn't be a stretch to say there might be something wrong with fire truck doors if the doors are flying open so often. If the door never came ajar, he never would have fallen out. Perhaps you shouldn't have such a myopic view of these incidents.

I never said we don't need seatbelts, but I think its funny given the risks of the job. We find it unacceptable to have the seatbelt off for the 30 seconds it takes to button your coat/put on your scba straps.
    Last edited by nameless; 10-14-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Right. So in other words, lets dodge the real problem and blame it on a door instead.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I never said we don't need seatbelts, but I think its funny given the risks of the job. We find it unacceptable to have the seatbelt off for the 30 seconds it takes to button your coat/put on your scba straps.
    When we start killing more people in fires than vehicle accidents, I'll agree with you.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

I certainly hope he makes a full and speedy recovery and gets back to work ASAP. I know for sure, not wearing a seatbelt will be a self correcting error for him personally.

Just another reminder, seat belts are not an option, anytime the vehicle is in motion.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Default Seatbelts

Wear your seatbelts ladies and gentlemen. That would eliminate the possibility of falling out even if the door or latch malfunction.

Forum Member

Right. So in other words, lets dodge the real problem and blame it on a door instead.
    if the door never came open, this would have never happened.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

if the door never came open, this would have never happened.
    And if he'd had the belt on, it wouldn't have either.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information