+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 First ... 34567 Last

Thread: Sallyport

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dteague2 View Post
    So I would not be able to get on an overseas contract with what I have at this moment?
    I wont begin to start a he's right and he's wrong thing on the site, I will give you my opinion along with my experience.

You have more than the minimum to apply and thats exactly what I would do. However in the time that your waiting on a response, it'd be wise to just go ahead and shoot for some more certs. Thats exactly what I did and I got on with less certs than you have. Sallyportglobal.com wouldn't be a bad place to start applying. Emt-B isn't a requirement for most of these jobs because we cant provide anything above First Aid/First Responder. I would start my 1 series because you could probably knock out about 2 in one month verses taking Emt-B which will be at minimum 2 months plus you'll have to test and in the event you get picked up within 2 months atleast you'd have maybe 1 or 2 of your 1's depending on motivated you are to obtain them. Just start applying and have faith brother.

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by reddyfire View Post
    perhaps my information is wrong but i dont recall having to be sarcastic and rude. we are looking for information so perhaps if you have something better to offer you could join the discussion and do so...
    Well gee, thank you SOOO much for your permission to participate.

You are correct, sarcasm isn't required (your opinion on the rude part, but even idiots are allowed opinions), but it often helps in situations such as people who haven't even gotten HIRED yet trying to act like Johnny Insider.

You should be a real peach when you arrive in country. I almost wish I were still there to greet you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ACofthedesert View Post
    Please do not worry about this guy. He is a bitter little man who views himself as both witty and clever. Everyone else however views him as a cowardly malcontent. I really wish that he would take his boyfriend peterbound and leave this site for good. We are a brotherhood, career, volly and contractor alike. These forums are designed as a means for "Brothers" to share valuable information and gain insight into possible life changing opportunities. Rudeness and non humorous sarcasm only hinder this process. Parasites like these derive pleasure in the belittling of others and it is really very sad. They hide behind anonymity and spew their poison. I would really like to meet them someday in person. In that case I am sure they would then sing a very different tune.

Keep the faith Brothers and stay safe!
    Oh look, Princess is back.

You know fu*k about me, dude. Just because I speak the truth doesn't make me a malcontent. Hell, show me anyone other than senior leadership who isn't a malcontent on the WSI/Sallyport train wreck, and I'll show you an idiot. Or perhaps I should just hand you a mirror.

Guys, the truth about the contract thing is, sit back, rake in your fat pile of cash, and be ready for more bullsh*t than you've ever seen in your life. Ride it out, pocket the cash, and move on. Contract firefighting is a joke. Do your time and hope like hell you either have one of the few officers worth having or that the vast majority of incompetent ones don't manage to kill you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 251Fireman View Post
    I wont begin to start a he's right and he's wrong thing on the site, I will give you my opinion along with my experience.

You have more than the minimum to apply and thats exactly what I would do. However in the time that your waiting on a response, it'd be wise to just go ahead and shoot for some more certs. Thats exactly what I did and I got on with less certs than you have. Sallyportglobal.com wouldn't be a bad place to start applying. Emt-B isn't a requirement for most of these jobs because we cant provide anything above First Aid/First Responder. I would start my 1 series because you could probably knock out about 2 in one month verses taking Emt-B which will be at minimum 2 months plus you'll have to test and in the event you get picked up within 2 months atleast you'd have maybe 1 or 2 of your 1's depending on motivated you are to obtain them. Just start applying and have faith brother.

Good Luck
    Thank you for the insight! I take it that you have gone on contract before. Could you tell me what it is like being on an overseas contract? What the pay would possibly be with the certs I have now? How living conditions are over there? Call volume? Any information is very much appreciated!

Forum Member

Thank you for the insight! I take it that you have gone on contract before. Could you tell me what it is like being on an overseas contract? What the pay would possibly be with the certs I have now? How living conditions are over there? Call volume? Any information is very much appreciated!
    If you land in Iraq you'll make about 100K if not a little more, I think Afghan pays more at like 120k (thats with the certs you have now). As far as the contract world goes, its more or less what you make it. You'll be gone from home all year minus your vacation days and you have to be mentally prepared for that if you have family (thats about the most important thing for me) Living conditions differ depending on location so I couldnt give much valuable information on that. Call volume (well anyone thats been over before will tell you that if you plan on coming to run a lot of calls then you may not wanna come). Its a war zone so you need to understand that you're subject to incoming attacks on the base.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask away. This is what the site is for. It helped me out a lot when I was applying so I try to help anyone with as much accuracy as possible.

Forum Member

I know you all too well punk. I have seen many like you over the years, you are all the same bitter little men, hiding in the shadows and throwing stones. My contention is that your bull**** can have a deleterious effect on some of the neophytes coming on here looking for guidance. It is irresponsible and self serving. Just because you have an axe to grind due to the sand in your vagina does not mean you have too jade others, especially under the guise of helping them. Your actions are deplorable, but unfortunately your massive ego (that I am betting rivals the size of your massive arse) will not allow that. There are many great people serving as contract firefighters. They risk their lives daily in an extremely harsh environment, away from family and loved ones, and do not need to have any aspect of what they do belittled by a smug little Penis like yourself. I would LOVE to me you sometime and discuss this in person. I am sure I could change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikcuf9905 View Post
    Oh look, Princess is back.

You know fu*k about me, dude. Just because I speak the truth doesn't make me a malcontent. Hell, show me anyone other than senior leadership who isn't a malcontent on the WSI/Sallyport train wreck, and I'll show you an idiot. Or perhaps I should just hand you a mirror.

Guys, the truth about the contract thing is, sit back, rake in your fat pile of cash, and be ready for more bullsh*t than you've ever seen in your life. Ride it out, pocket the cash, and move on. Contract firefighting is a joke. Do your time and hope like hell you either have one of the few officers worth having or that the vast majority of incompetent ones don't manage to kill you.

Forum Member

Good advise 251. I know that the PAE contract in Africa as well as the Marshall Island contracts require you to have an NREMT-B or higher certification. Most of the contracts in the Middle east only require First responder. The other "premium" cert appears to be the ARFF DO as they are far and few between. Inspector I&II cannot hurt as there are many fire Inspector positions (fire prevention) as well, however some of these also require Instructor I certification.

Quote Originally Posted by 251Fireman View Post

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Good advise 251. I know that the PAE contract in Africa as well as the Marshall Island contracts require you to have an NREMT-B or higher certification. Most of the contracts in the Middle east only require First responder. The other "premium" cert appears to be the ARFF DO as they are far and few between. Inspector I&II cannot hurt as there are many fire Inspector positions (fire prevention) as well, however some of these also require Instructor I certification.
    How much do the inspector positions usually pay in Afghanistan with Dyncorp or ITT? Is it more lucrative to be a firefighter?

Forum Member

They generally pay more than a FF position as they are normally salary, not hourly. If you get on a base that is loaded with personnel you will have days off as a FF and therefore make less overall. As an Inspector or FPO (fire protection officer) you would be looking at around 120K in Iraq and slightly more in AFG.

Quote Originally Posted by firemannw View Post
    How much do the inspector positions usually pay in Afghanistan with Dyncorp or ITT? Is it more lucrative to be a firefighter?

Forum Member

They generally pay more than a FF position as they are normally salary, not hourly. If you get on a base that is loaded with personnel you will have days off as a FF and therefore make less overall. As an Inspector or FPO (fire protection officer) you would be looking at around 120K in Iraq and slightly more in AFG.
    Very true but for me in particular I wouldnt wanna be stuck behind a computer 7 days a week doing paper work and doing nothing but inspections. Its a catch 22 job if you ask me but AC is definitely right in what he's saying.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got offered 113,000 and some change for a fire inspector position working 7 12's a week. That seemed a bit low to me. If you guys had your choice between Dyncorp or ITT which would you choose. Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

I got offered 113,000 and some change for a fire inspector position working 7 12's a week. That seemed a bit low to me. If you guys had your choice between Dyncorp or ITT which would you choose. Thanks for the info.
    At this point just go with whoever offered you, you can always switch companies in country unless they've made it to where you cant. If you have a choice between them then I would just do some soul searching(quickly) to make a decision. The offer does seem a little low but I'm not looking at your contract either.

Forum Member

29 dollars an hour roughly, depends on what you are use to??????

Forum Member

You should Definitely do better than 113...is that ITT as I am sure Dyncorp pays better. 251 is correct about the nature of the job...allot of paperwork....not what any type A fire type would be very comfortable with. However it is a paycheck none the less. Quite frankly I have heard good and bad things about both companies. It appears due to a large degree to where you are stationed. I would keep putting out feelers on here regarding both outfits.

Forum Member

And also, if I go ahead and get all my 1 series, would this increase my pay on an overseas contract?
    Not to seem like a nob, but what is this "1" series you speak of. I retired from the FFD side of the tracks, but don't remember hearing this. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCIBR10 View Post
    Not to seem like a nob, but what is this "1" series you speak of. I retired from the FFD side of the tracks, but don't remember hearing this. Thanks.
    The 1 series consists of: Instructor 1, Inspector 1 and Officer 1. All of which you would need for a Crew Chief/LT spot in Iraq or Afghan

MembersZone Subscriber

CONGRATULATIONS to reddyfire! You correctly predicted the winner of the LOGCAP IV contract!

Can you tell me what the stock market will look like six months from now? I'd love to pad my portfolio appropriately.

ACofthedesert, you're still a p r i c k.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tikcuf9905 View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS to reddyfire! You correctly predicted the winner of the LOGCAP IV contract!

Can you tell me what the stock market will look like six months from now? I'd love to pad my portfolio appropriately.

ACofthedesert, you're still a p r i c k.
    You are almost amusing,almost.

Forum Member

you my friend managed to turn a good thread in regards to information into your own personal bitchfight while producing no good info towards the topic at hand.

For the rest of the guys that care about my particular case.

I applied with sallyport, itt, dyncorp and kbr on june 13th.
    Ten days later i received an offer letter from Sallyport for one year, 108k.
    I accepted the offer, did fingerprints filled out some paperwork and filled out some info for my background check and security clearance (or whatever the sf85 is meant to achieve)
    I waited about two weeks for approval of my security clearance.
    August 5th i got my plane ticket for Houston and it looks like i will be heading to iraq on the 13th. Sallyport is sub-contracted out by kbr to do fire suppression/ ems over there.
    I still have a lot of questions myself, but i got a good list going and will be asking all of those while in Houston.
    Please be advised that wait times for sf85 process is not the same for everyone as everybody has different "backgrounds".
    I have nremt-b, ff1&2, hazmat awareness & ops, arff, instructor 1,2,3, officer 1,2.
    If anyone has any other questions email me (r3ddyfire at gmail dot com)

Forum Member

you my friend managed to turn a good thread in regards to information into your own personal bitchfight while producing no good info towards the topic at hand.

I accepted the offer, did fingerprints filled out some paperwork and filled out some info for my background check and security clearance (or whatever the sf85 is meant to achieve)
    August 5th i got my plane ticket for Houston and it looks like i will be heading to iraq on the 13th. Sallyport is sub-contracted out by kbr to do fire suppression/ ems over there.
    I still have a lot of questions myself, but i got a good list going and will be asking all of those while in Houston.
    Please be advised that wait times for sf85 process is not the same for everyone as everybody has different "backgrounds".
    I have nremt-b, ff1&2, hazmat awareness & ops, arff, instructor 1,2,3, officer 1,2.
    Congratulations! Are you coming over as a Firefighter? I noticed you state a salary of 108K, is that an estimate of what you should make or an actual salary? We know KBR won the LOGCAP IV task order to provide services to the DOS mission for a year, but it remains unclear as to Sallyport Subing this. They really keep us in the dark over here so relaying anything you hear would be appreciated. Both SP and KBR have job listings for this mission. However as it stands now the SP LOGCAP III contract is ending in December, with many bases closing. I hope this all works out for you but these are unsure times in Iraq. Best of luck and safe travels!

Forum Member

yes i coming over as a ff and the pay is not a salary but a per hour estimate of what i should work/make at the end of the year. the logcap iv contract is one of my main questions, im due in phoenix tommrow so ill ask alot of questions and post back what i find out about it. as a side question for anyone that has been to iraq... what else should i pack i have room for 20 more pounds worth of stuff...

yes i coming over as a ff and the pay is not a salary but a per hour estimate of what i should work/make at the end of the year. the logcap iv contract is one of my main questions, im due in phoenix tommrow so ill ask alot of questions and post back what i find out about it. as a side question for anyone that has been to iraq... what else should i pack i have room for 20 more pounds worth of stuff...

Man i dont know what they have on the sallyport list but all you will need is underwear, socks, personal hygiene stuff and like maybe 2 outfits. They provide you with your uniforms and that is mostly what you will be wearing out here. Just remember whatever you pack you have to carry with you to your base along with your gear back which can be cumbersome at best. The mail works fine here so anything you think you might need later you can have shipped. Walmart, amazon, body building.com they all ship out here pretty darn quick. Its a great place to work all things considered!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemanwhiz View Post
    Man i dont know what they have on the sallyport list but all you will need is underwear, socks, personal hygiene stuff and like maybe 2 outfits. They provide you with your uniforms and that is mostly what you will be wearing out here. Just remember whatever you pack you have to carry with you to your base along with your gear back which can be cumbersome at best. The mail works fine here so anything you think you might need later you can have shipped. Walmart, amazon, body building.com they all ship out here pretty darn quick. Its a great place to work all things considered!
    Whiz is absolutely right, make sure you have enough socks and underwear as well as something to work out in, shorts, sneaks ect. If you have favorite toiletries you may want to double up on those. The reason for this is that depending on where you go some laundry services are better than others (as far as turn around time - I have seen everything from same day to a week), and PX and APO services are winding down so you could be stuck without any recourse to re up.

Forum Member

Whiz is absolutely right, make sure you have enough socks and underwear as well as something to work out in, shorts, sneaks ect. If you have favorite toiletries you may want to double up on those. The reason for this is that depending on where you go some laundry services are better than others (as far as turn around time - I have seen everything from same day to a week), and PX and APO services are winding down so you could be stuck without any recourse to re up.
    Before you leave Houston you can fed ex most of your overflow back home, that will also save space.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds good, but just know you WILL NOT make 108,000. Sallyport will be down to 7-8 bases and we have over 380 FF here.. the hrs are starting to suck and there's no promise for 2012..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 First ... 34567 Last

Thread Information