Forum Member

Default Detroit Fire Statistics

Hey all,

I was just wondering if there are any type of fire statistics out there on Detroit, I have heard that they respond to roughly 30,000 fires a year, does anyone have any numbers, that would make them almost as busy as the New York City Fire Department, who does give or take 2400 all hands/multiples, around 44000 fires? I know that the FDNY comes out with their annual runs/fires every month and year. I was just curious...Thanks for any help.

Be Safe.
    Last edited by Andyboyfire; 10-14-2010 at 11:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

The majority of their fires are arson. They run on an average of 30 arson fires a day sometimes more. not to long ago they ran 80 in one night.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtucker1384
    The majority of their fires are arson. They run on an average of 30 arson fires a day sometimes more. not to long ago they ran 80 in one night.
    That 80 something fire was from storms and high winds, not from the usual arson suspects.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

The administration has a reputation for not showing the true numbers. They really don't want the press and the public to know the exact numbers, they've been skewed for 30 years. They even fought and continue to fight putting in NIFIRS reports and they still fudge the the MIFIRS reports as far as fires go. They told the press they get 30 fires a day, well that's off by at least 15. Getting reliable information from the administration is like pulling teeth without sedation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireCapt1951retired View Post
    The administration has a reputation for not showing the true numbers. They really don't want the press and the public to know the exact numbers, they've been skewed for 30 years. They even fought and continue to fight putting in NIFIRS reports and they still fudge the the MIFIRS reports as far as fires go. They told the press they get 30 fires a day, well that's off by at least 15. Getting reliable information from the administration is like pulling teeth without sedation.
    We calculate the numbers of runs in each firehouse and send them downtown with our month end reports and that is the last we see of them. If you really want numbers see if you can contact a few firehouses for their year end summaries before they are sent downtown and lost forever

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    We calculate the numbers of runs in each firehouse and send them downtown with our month end reports and that is the last we see of them. If you really want numbers see if you can contact a few firehouses for their year end summaries before they are sent downtown and lost forever
    detroitfire1552,

I'm aware of the departments operations. I've been retired for awhile now but everyone has always known of the numbers game the administration has played for 30+ years. I actually collected all the numbers more than a few years back and on numerous other occassions and they never matched the numbers the admin put out (do you remember the liar, liar pants on fire t-shirts ). I still keep in contact with many of the officers and things have only become worse, especially the present hiring practices. Just stay safe and continue what the D.F.D does best-doing everything with nothing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    That 80 something fire was from storms and high winds, not from the usual arson suspects.

FM1
    Sorry if that ran together I didnt mean the 80 was arson.

MembersZone Subscriber

detroitfire1552,

I'm aware of the departments operations. I've been retired for awhile now but everyone has always known of the numbers game the administration has played for 30+ years. I actually collected all the numbers more than a few years back and on numerous other occassions and they never matched the numbers the admin put out (do you remember the liar, liar pants on fire t-shirts ). I still keep in contact with many of the officers and things have only become worse, especially the present hiring practices. Just stay safe and continue what the D.F.D does best-doing everything with nothing.
    Yes Sir! We do what we can. You know that!

Forum Member

detroitfire1552,

Hey Captain, do you still have any of those numbers...I'm have no association with anyone, just curious, I've searched everywhere even old Firehouse Magazine Annual Runs, just curious, I've heard that the city does around 8 working Box Alarm fires a day, but have no idea if this is even remotely correct? When you guys speak about the administration, is it that they try and make it seem the city is "safer" than it is?
    Thanks for any help...Be safe
    Congrats on retirement Capt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    Hey Captain, do you still have any of those numbers...I'm have no association with anyone, just curious, I've searched everywhere even old Firehouse Magazine Annual Runs, just curious, I've heard that the city does around 8 working Box Alarm fires a day, but have no idea if this is even remotely correct? When you guys speak about the administration, is it that they try and make it seem the city is "safer" than it is?
    8 a day? is that before or after midnight?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    Those numbers sent to Firehouse for their annual run posting is BS. Most FD's pump up the numbers. A lot don't even send in the numbers of anything as it really means nothing.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Does anyone have a list or knowledge of what al the disposition codes mean in Detroit, what each code means? Thanks all.

Thread Information