Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Workout Sleds

Forum Member

Default Workout Sleds

Does anyone use a sled to help improve their sprints and endurance? I'm considering buying or making a sled to weigh me down and add resistance.

What do you guys think?

Sleds are easy to make... I personally drag a 19.5" 10ply tire (came off a dump truck or something). Just drill a hole, attach a rope and your good to go! You can add weights to the tire too. Also, alternative would be get a wooden pallet. You can use a section of LDH and drape over your shoulder (same method as rope) to drag it. Plus the pallet is super easy to add weight to; just whatever you can find laying around station.

Running a slalom is a great method. As well as stairs/hills. Always add weight to any running you do. These are methods I've used for training for combat challenges this year and they've tested true

Forum Member

I made one out of 3 ft. section of scrap 2 x 8 with wooden runners. It has eye screws so weights can be secured with bungee cords.

This has been a great training tool. I finish my workouts with the following sequence while wearing a 50 lb. vest; 210 lb. sled:
    *Hose drag 200 ft. ( w/ rope draped over my shoulder; switching shoulders at the 100 ft. point,
    *Kneeling hand-over-hand pull 200 ft. ( pull 35 ft, run 35 ft, pull 35 ft, etc )
    *Rescue drag 200 ft.

My driveway is 100 ft. so it works great for an up & back route. So far, I do this sequence once; working towards doing 3 rounds with a 1 min. rest between rounds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I made one out of 3 ft. section of scrap 2 x 8 with wooden runners. It has eye screws so weights can be secured with bungee cords.

This has been a great training tool. I finish my workouts with the following sequence while wearing a 50 lb. vest; 210 lb. sled:
    *Hose drag 200 ft. ( w/ rope draped over my shoulder; switching shoulders at the 100 ft. point,
    *Kneeling hand-over-hand pull 200 ft. ( pull 35 ft, run 35 ft, pull 35 ft, etc )
    *Rescue drag 200 ft.

My driveway is 100 ft. so it works great for an up & back route. So far, I do this sequence once; working towards doing 3 rounds with a 1 min. rest between rounds.
    Wow, that's awesome! I've got to make me one... gonna check and see tonight if my inlaws have some scrap wood I can use. Then I'll just pickup some weight plates and attach a tow cable I have.

MembersZone Subscriber

John B, can I come over and work out with you! It sounds miserably fun!

I think there's something wrong with me... LOL!
    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Forum Member

Nothing wrong...its all about embracing the "suck factor."
    ( although I do get the raised eyebrow look from my wife from time to time...)

Thread Information