Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Post workout recovery

Has anyone got some good tips or recipes for post work out nutrition?

Specifically I am after something that I can eat/drink that will not make me vomit if I get a hardcore job immediately after refuelling.

Forum Member

Food: Skim/Chocolate Milk (Few quick acting carbohydrate sources plus fast digesting protein blend)

or

Supplements: Waxy Maize Starch (Vitargo is hands down the best) and any Whey Hydrolysate (Isolate)......drink both shakes seperately but back to back.

Avoid fats and your good....hence the skim. Sipping BCAA's during workout will help tremendously with muscle breakdown prevention and faster recovery. "Xtend" by Scivation is the best in that category(watermelon mmmm).

Forum Member

I usually go with a whey protein mixed with water. The best mixing/tasting one I've found is the ON chocolate stuff. Not cheap, but worth it in my opinion. You can find them at GNC and Rite Aid (http://www.optimumnutrition.com/prod...ard-p-201.html)

Mixing that stuff with milk is also very tasy, just more work and money.

The vanilla isn't half bad either, but I'd rather mix it with orange juice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fantan4 is dead on. Chocolate milk has been proven in recent studies and is used by many college football programs as a post practice drink. has a perfect combination of everything.

Forum Member

I agree with avoiding fats! The quickest and easiest meal post w/o is a protein shake, or grilled chicken and an apple/banana. (Sometimes I grill a lot of chicken at once and pack it in a cooler to take on the road). This is the time when you want a sugary carb. The only place in the diet for fruit. Other than than, pre workout carbs should be complex and fats should only be at night....just before bed. They are slow digesting. Example diet:

Meal One: Protein, carb
    Pre Workout Meal: Protein, carb
    Post Workout: Protein, simple carb
    Meal Four: Protein
    Meal Five: Protein, Veggies
    Meal Six: Protein, Fats

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Protein

I agree with the protein at every one of those 6 meals. But, if that's all the fruit/veg/grains/fish/raw nuts you are eating, you are not going to get enough vitamins or EFA's. If you are going to eat like listed above, I would add a carrot or a bit if veg to each of those meals without one. And, I would add a multi (a good one from the health food store) and EFA's... in a supplement form.

Taking in just a little bit of protein at a time makes it easier to assimilate. In the past, while trying to build strength/recover/build muscle mass, I have, in addition to the precooked chicken idea above (which is great)... boiled a few dozen eggs at a time. I eat 1 white every hour, in addition to those 6 meals. (not on the hour that I have chicken). It just keeps the body packing on a little bit of muscle in an on going basis.

I also think that taking a protein drink to bed and sipping it right before you sleep, and throughout the night when you roll over works well. Growth hormone is largely released in your sleep. If you keep a steady stream of protein coming in at night, it seems to go to the right places too.

In short, adding both those things would mean, of course, more calories IN, so reducing the size of each meal to the above mentioned diet might be an idea.

Lots and lots of water. I drink 3-4 16 ounce bottles during a 90 minute workout. 4-5 more per day.

Stretch! I can KILL myself in the gym and barely be sore, if I take that extra 5 minutes when I am finished, and stretch, then repeat stretching of those same muscle groups that night right before bed. Seriously: I do 16 sets of leg press (working from 250-up to 800 lbs), super setting with 40 walking lunges carrying 30 lbs... on my leg days. (Yes, that's 16 set of leg press, plus 16 sets of walking lunges) If I stretch, I am NOT sore at all, and am ready to do it again 2 days later (but not more than twice a week- recovery). No stretching, and I can barely walk for the next 4 days. Which do i choose?

Massage: I know it sounds hokey. Massage with a great therapist who knows active release technique and PNF stretching will make a work of difference in your recovery and the health of your muscles, short and long term. It also prevents injuries by getting rid of those knots before they cause a muscle imbalance, and injury to that or a compensating muscle or muscle group. This is especially true for shoulders...
    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leg press

Yes, leg press, not squat, on a decline leg press. 8 Plates on each side plus 2 tens on each side, plus the weigh of the sled = ~800 lbs.
    I have short, thick legs, raced bikes and rode rickshaw bikes loaded with passengers on hills in my late teens. Strong, but no world record holder, not by any stretch... LOL

By the way, I did that workout yesterday. The guys on the identical machine next to me always hate it. They always make fun of each other. I think it's funny... truth is, I've been lifting weights for 30 years. Longer than they have been alive. So, by all rights, if I am not stronger than them, I have been wasting my time, right? I stretched yesterday and this morning, and I'm walking a little bit funny, a bit like a duck, but not too badly.

But no world record holder.

I don't squat much anymore, my knees and low back don't like it. I am too old... 43... and too old for that... LOL!
    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Forum Member

stretching is a must. on top of that FOAM ROLL. if you dont know what it is there are many good youtube videos explaining how to properly foam roll. it may hurt at first if your real tight but once you do it regularly you will never not do it again.

Forum Member

How long are you working out for? I would argue that if your workout is less than 1 hour then there is no need for any type of specific recovery drink/food that you need. Stretching and foam roll are your best bet.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Slurpees...

MembersZone Subscriber

Now that's funny! I like Good and Plenty's myself...
    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Forum Member

I would argue that if your workout is less than 1 hour then there is no need for any type of specific recovery drink/food that you need.

Uh.....what does time have to do with it? I think most here would say that a workout means WORKOUT, you know....go hard and heavy. I don't think he's talking about cardio. Gaining muscle requires proper nutrition, not foam rolling.

Forum Member

you can do a couple different things: 1.) if you can afford it, get ahold of some post workout protien drink mixes. EAS used to make a pretty good one. 2.) you can also pick up Carnation Instant Breakfast, mix in some low fat yogurt, some skim milk, a protein supplement or an egg white, and maybe a fruit or fruit juice of your choice, add some ice, if you choose, blend it up, and BAM! A nice little post workout drink! Don't forget a little Creatine Monohydrate for recovery purposes!
    Last edited by Breech31; 12-25-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: el nino
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fantan4 View Post
    Food: Skim/Chocolate Milk (Few quick acting carbohydrate sources plus fast digesting protein blend)

or

Supplements: Waxy Maize Starch (Vitargo is hands down the best) and any Whey Hydrolysate (Isolate)......drink both shakes seperately but back to back.

Avoid fats and your good....hence the skim. Sipping BCAA's during workout will help tremendously with muscle breakdown prevention and faster recovery. "Xtend" by Scivation is the best in that category(watermelon mmmm).
    +1 for Xtend...I mix that with a scoop of Syntrax Nectar protein.

Do you guys find that cooking in-house provides you an easier access to better foods rather than by yourself?
    "Being a firefighter is like being on a professional sports team, but better." - Sean K.

Thread Information