Thread: PHX SAFER Grant

Forum Member

Default PHX SAFER Grant

Anyone hear about the PHX fire safer grant? Has it been approved? When does such information usually post?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Anyone hear about the PHX fire safer grant? Has it been approved? When does such information usually post?
    http://firegrantsupport.com/content/.../Awards09.aspx

$4,473,699.00 was awarded on 10/8/2010

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    http://firegrantsupport.com/content/.../Awards09.aspx

$4,473,699.00 was awarded on 10/8/2010
    thats good to see, so does that mean they are going to test again

Forum Member

yep. They asked for 6 mil. They got a lot though. I know that the cops are asking for some of the money as well to put together an academy, so we'll have to see how that works out. Should be interesting though. They want to hire 43 by next year.

Forum Member

That would be awesome better get my cpat out the way

Forum Member

they do weekly CPAT's down in the valley:

http://www.nationaltestingnetwork.com/cpat_test.cfm

Forum Member

That's great news. Anyone have any idea of a possible time frame that they might start the testing process or a usual time that they've tested in the past?

Forum Member

Last i heard they want to get an academy started at the first of the year, so expect something very soon. If not Jan expect an academy to start in march/april time frame.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is awesome news! I watched a report on ABC 15 Phoenix and the reporter stated that Phoenix Fire currently has 160+ vacancies.....WOW! Now the question of the hour is whether they will use the most recent list, start a whole new testing process or hire lateral firefighters to fill the first 42 vacancies? Here's the link for the aforementioned story:

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...-hiring-freeze

Forum Member

Pretty sure they are going to do a new hiring process. Using a list that is 3-4 years old seems kind of silly.
    Be interesting to find out though. And I don't think PHX does laterals.

ETA: I do know they have some Red Shirts on standby, they will more than likely put them through the academy first.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pretty sure they are going to do a new hiring process. Using a list that is 3-4 years old seems kind of silly.

ETA: I do know they have some Red Shirts on standby, they will more than likely put them through the academy first.
    Thanks for the info, dude. One thing is for sure, competition is going to be fierce!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruno View Post
    Thanks for the info, dude. One thing is for sure, competition is going to be fierce!
    Indeed, hoping my family connections will be able to help me out. Also hoping that they post some dates soon so i can get the CPAT out of the way and throw some plane tickets down.

I'm guessing if it's anything like the mesa/chandler debacle it's going to be a mad house trying to get a test spot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Indeed, hoping my family connections will be able to help me out. Also hoping that they post some dates soon so i can get the CPAT out of the way and throw some plane tickets down.

I'm guessing if it's anything like the mesa/chandler debacle it's going to be a mad house trying to get a test spot.
    Oh yeah! I remember camping out for 19 hours in Chandler for that test. It was well worth the wait because I met some awesome, awesome people! Good luck to everyone who may be testing. In this economy, we've got to bring our A game to the table.

Forum Member

Bigbruno, thanks for the post to the link thats good news! How have you been lately? I'm looking forward to PHX opening up it would be a great department to work for!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nomex82 View Post
    Bigbruno, thanks for the post to the link thats good news! How have you been lately? I'm looking forward to PHX opening up it would be a great department to work for!
    I've been doing awesome, Nomex! I'm itching to get on with a busier department.....just itching!!! How have you been? How did the fire season treat you on the shot crew?

Yes sir, that is some great, great news about Phoenix! It looks like hiring is starting to pick up in the Phoenix area.....so many great departments up there!

Forum Member

BigBruno- Things have been good, and fire season was busy up here, I had a blast! Yeah I'm excited to see the PHX area is starting to test again. Hopefully PFD opens up their app soon, it looks like they need to fill some spots!

Forum Member

They are going to be interviewing 95 people from the old list starting on Monday, from those 95 they are hiring 28. Good news is that after these 28 get hired they are done with that list for good so hopefully another list will be created shortly.

Forum Member

Daym, i was hoping that they would just start anew. that plus all the red shirts will more than likely fill up the 48 they want before the start of the year.

Forum Member

http://www.firegrantsupport.com/cont...aspx?year=2010

Looks like Phoenix got the safer grant for another class of recruits today! Anyone know if they will continue with the test from 08 or start a new process?

MembersZone Subscriber

Great news for sure! I would think they would start a new hiring process being over two years old. Does anyone know how many vacancies they have or any other info?

MembersZone Subscriber

Peter bound where are you located? Did you test for Colorado springs,co?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter973 View Post
    Peter bound where are you located? Did you test for Colorado springs,co?
    I did. Didn't make it past the orals. Got B banded after that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya I was C banded but had a buddy who scored one more point and was B banded. Oh well lookin forward to Phoenix, I have family there and some good connections so we will see. Still gotta bring A game to the written.

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything about test dates this year. They hired off of the last list and the red shirts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone heard anything on Phoenix? I keep checking their website and calling the PFD Recruitment Hotline, but neither have been updated.

Thread Information