Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default How old is too old?

Hey just a quick question for the senior military guys. I undertand thta each branch has its own upper age limit to join but I have talked with other people saying that the military is mostly for people that graduate high school and are not sure what to do with themselves. Do you feel this statement is true. I myself am 23. almost finished with my AS degree, have a serious girlfriend and have been in a career for almost 3 years now. I still have the dream of joining teh national guard for several personal reasons. I want the national guard so that I can keep going with all the things that are in my life now. I am just wondering if people like me have "missed" their opportunity to serve.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ctfireguy View Post
    Hey just a quick question for the senior military guys. I undertand thta each branch has its own upper age limit to join but I have talked with other people saying that the military is mostly for people that graduate high school and are not sure what to do with themselves. Do you feel this statement is true. I myself am 23. almost finished with my AS degree, have a serious girlfriend and have been in a career for almost 3 years now. I still have the dream of joining teh national guard for several personal reasons. I want the national guard so that I can keep going with all the things that are in my life now. I am just wondering if people like me have "missed" their opportunity to serve.
    no way. the military sets age limits so that when you reach max rank/time in service you aren't 85 years old. there has been several people that enter even active duty later in life. you are 23, man, i would worry about having wasted anythign yet... your life just started. and for those individuals that claimed that "military is mostly for people that graduate high school and are not sure what to do with themselves"... that is pretty much the biggest crock of BS ever.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with the person before me. I went in when I was 22 and I think it worked to my advantage. They don't seem to trash the older ppl so much because you should be mature enough by now to follow simple instruction and do stuff the first time without being told a 100 times to do something.

Forum Member

thanks guys foryour replies. I go on thurs for my ASVAB and MEPs.

Forum Member

My husband went in at 28. He was considered the "old guy" at basic training. I think the hardest part for him dealing with age is that the officers are almost always younger than him. Some much younger. He is 34 now.

I have a buddy that did not join the Army until he was 32, now 6 years later he is a SSGT in Special Forces. 23 is no where near old for joining, in fact having the maturity and eagerness of someone right out of mom and dad's house out of your system will be a bonus. Go for it!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

thanks for your replys. I got a 53 on my ASVAB and all clear on my medical exam. I am thinking of air guard so that I can keep my full time job. I have yet to decide if I want a fun high speed job, like EOD or security or a trade job. My girlfriend does not want me to go. If i do decide to join I think she will break my knees on night so that I cannot go.

For those that have had a spouse leave for the guard, how hard is it to be away for 6 months and then try to transition back into normal life.

Forum Member

thanks for your replys. I got a 53 on my ASVAB and all clear on my medical exam. I am thinking of air guard so that I can keep my full time job. I have yet to decide if I want a fun high speed job, like EOD or security or a trade job. My girlfriend does not want me to go. If i do decide to join I think she will break my knees on night so that I cannot go.

For those that have had a spouse leave for the guard, how hard is it to be away for 6 months and then try to transition back into normal life.
    The first deployment is always difficult. There are pro/cons to both guard/reserve and active duty. AD, the spouse usually has already come to accept that deployments are inevitable, however, sometimes he/she doesn't have family close. (My first deployment was 8 months and we were stationed in Germany... 4 months after I arrived on station, talk about no support group). Guard/reserve, you most likely live where you've been living your entire life and already have established family/friends around. Honestly, it's different from person to person. I had no issues when I came back from my first deployment. We were happy to see each other and life went on. Some guys come back and blow their brains out (just had one last week). It's all relative.

I will tell you, regardless of your component/branch/service type... it's MUCH easier when your spouse or significant other supports what you are doing. Trust me, anyone on here who's been married and deployed before can attest to that.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    I will tell you, regardless of your component/branch/service type... it's MUCH easier when your spouse or significant other supports what you are doing. Trust me, anyone on here who's been married and deployed before can attest to that.
    AMEN to that Brother.

Forum Member

I joined at 18 and it was a little rough for the older guys. Military training in general is getting soft. Word of advice, join the Airforce. Im was an Army grunt and believe me. Looking back I wish I joined the AF. Seven years and three deployments later I finally called it quits and am looking in the fire service. I would also retake your asvab. You will be very limited as to what you can do with a 53. You dont want to be a cook or a truck driver do you? Get in the upper 60's with a GT score of 110 or higher.

Forum Member

Actually I'm a full time firefighter now. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I am not sure how many cooks the guard has. I have been looking into some jobs like loadmasters, aerial gunner, paving and construction, medical or security forces.

Is there a max for how many times you can retake the ASVAB and if so how many?
    Last edited by ctfireguy; 11-01-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Forum Member

Talk to people in the guard unit you plan on joining with. get a feel for what people like and what they don't like. Aerial gunner would be awesome, also, depending on what type of birds you have, look into being an aircraft crew chief.

You are 23, the chance of her being your girlfriend in 6 months even without being deployed is not statistically very high. Do what YOU need to do for YOU at this point in YOUR life or you will regret it in 10-15-20 years. If she is the right girl for you she will be there when you get home, if not there are tons more beautiful ladies in the world.

Which category was 53 in? On first look that does not seem like a score that will get you much. You might want to study and re-test.

Good Luck!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I'm not really sure how many times you can take the test. Most AF deployments are 4 months long compared to 12 month deployments in the Army. A few jobs in the AF like security forces does 12 month deployments like the Army. Honestly, if you are near a large body of water join the coast guard reserves. How will your Fire dept take you joining the reserves or guard? It will be atleast 4 months of basic and job training.

Forum Member

I dont think there is a maximum times i can take the test just the wait period between the test. I do qualify for most jobs pj, fire rescue, security forces. I did miss EOD by several points. On mon i have an apt set to talk to a security forces squad and I am waiting for an email to set up an apt for air transportation. The air transportation squad just got a new C-27J plane and it has a $20,000 sign on bonus. My job doesn't exactly like that I might be leaving for the guard and all the OT it will create but understands they have to do certain things by law.

Has anyone joined the guard that works full time and has a family. My question is do you feel spread pretty thin. I dont have a family but I go to school full time. With school, my rotating shifts and a social life I feel like I have a lot on my plate. Just wondering if I had add the guard if that will put me over the edge?

Forum Member

nobody can really answer that without knowing your personality and how much you can handle. the guard is definetaly a commitment, but one weekend a month and two weeks a year isn't a whole lot. remember that the guard was designed for people who would like to serve, yet maintain their fulltime job/student status. ask your unit what their ops tempo/deployment tempo is as im sure you aren't the first person with that type of siuation.

With school, my rotating shifts and a social life I feel like I have a lot on my plate. Just wondering if I had add the guard if that will put me over the edge?
    Prioritize. Push some of the stuff off of your plate.

Forum Member

Thank you to all you posted some advice up here. I took a tour of a local base last week and talked with a bunch of security forces men and women. I think I would like that career very much however with the time for deployments, local training and different schools that guard sounds like I could easily turn it into a full time job. Which I do not think would be good for me. So I gave active duty a thought and realized that I would take a 75% pay cut which is something that I am not going to do. So I would love to join the military and I think I would make a great soldier but I do not think the military is in my cards anymore. Thank you to all who serve us in uniform.

I have been searching for some info on ways to send gifts (thoughtful mail and misc. items) to the troop over seas for the holidays. Does anyone have any good websites or companies that I can do that through?

Forum Member

Thank you to all you posted some advice up here. I took a tour of a local base last week and talked with a bunch of security forces men and women. I think I would like that career very much however with the time for deployments, local training and different schools that guard sounds like I could easily turn it into a full time job. Which I do not think would be good for me. So I gave active duty a thought and realized that I would take a 75% pay cut which is something that I am not going to do. So I would love to join the military and I think I would make a great soldier but I do not think the military is in my cards anymore. Thank you to all who serve us in uniform.

I have been searching for some info on ways to send gifts (thoughtful mail and misc. items) to the troop over seas for the holidays. Does anyone have any good websites or companies that I can do that through?

Check out the USO and the Wounder Warrior Project. WWP gave us guys that were MEDVAC'd out of Iraq from injuries while on mission all lot of nice stuff. I mean getting blown up sucks and all, but for these people to give us thousands of dollars worth of stuff to make our lives easier and the best care possible while we recover is above and beyond anything we could ever ask for.

Thread Information